Thread: Lesson number 9

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Lesson number 9

Lesson 9 - Part 1

The Italian Indicative Mode – Il Modo Indicativo

The Indicative Mode consists of eight different tenses and it is designed to express facts, conditions and events precisely and objectively.

The Simple Present – Il Presente

The Italian language has three groups of verbs, three conjugations:

those ending in -ARE (mangiare, ascoltare, lavorare)
    those ending in -ERE (leggere, scrivere, ridere)
    those ending in -IRE (dormire, aprire, sentire)

To form the Simple Present we have to take -ARE, -ERE or -IRE off and add the appropriate ending to the stem of the verb, according to the group it belongs to.

guardare
    vivere
    aprire

→ GUARD
    → VIV
    → APR

→ Io GUARD – O (I watch/ I look)
    → Io VIV – O (I live)
    → Io APR – O (I open)

I. conjugation -ARE verbs
    II. conjugation -ERE verbs
    III. conjugation -IRE verbs

GUARDARE VIVERE APRIRE

Io guardo vivo apro
    Tu guardi vivi apri
    Lui/lei/Lei guarda vive apre
    Noi guardiamo viviamo apriamo
    Voi guardate vivete aprite
    Loro guardano vivono aprono

*lui = he (masculine); * lei = she (feminine); *Lei = formal form for both he and she (e.g. Mrs, Miss, Mr..)

Tip: to make it easier, just remember, no matter what the verb type is, “IO” always ends in – O; “TU” always ends in – I and “noi” always ends in -IAMO.

The Simple Present is used to express:

Present or habitual actions:

“Oggi mangio la pasta” – “Today I eat pasta”
    “Tutte le mattine mangio un cornetto con la marmellata” – “Every morning I eat a croissant with jam”

In spoken Italian, we also use it to express an action that is going to happen in the near future when there is a time expression in the phrase:

“Arrivo domani pomeriggio” – “I’ll arrive tomorrow morning”
    “Ceniamo insieme venerdì prossimo?” – “Shall we have dinner together next Friday?”

Actions begun in the past which continue in the present, using VERB + DA (Preposition) + period of time:

“Vivo a Firenze da tre anni” – “I have lived in Florence for 3 years”
    “Lavoro in questo ufficio da due mesi” – “I have worked in this office for 2 months”

Sometimes the present tense is used instead of the past to give past actions a sense of immediacy, to make it feel as though they were happening right now. This is called “the historical present”:

“Michelangelo Buonarroti nasce nel 1475” – “Michelangelo Buonarroti was born in 1475″
    “Nel 1861 l’Italia diventa uno Stato unitario” – “In 1861 Italy became a united state”

Verbs ending in – CARE and – GARE – Verbi che terminano in – CARE e – GARE

Verbs belonging to the first conjugation ending in -CARE (for example “cercare, giocare”) and -GARE (for example “pagare, pregare”) behave slightly differently, adding the letter “H” between the stem and the end for the 2nd person singular “TU” and the 1st person plural “NOI”, so that the hard sound can be kept.

PAGARE CERCARE
    Io pago Io cerco
    Tu paghi Tu cerchi
    Lui/lei/Lei paga Lui/lei/Lei cerca
    Noi paghiamo Noi cerchiamo
    Voi pagate Voi cercate
    Loro pagano Loro cercano

“Tu cerchi un appartamento in centro, mentre Marco lo cerca in periferia” – “You look for an apartment in the centre, while Marco looks for one in the outskirts”.
    “Io pago la spesa per il pranzo, tu paghi quella per la cena” – “I pay the lunch bill, you pay the dinner one”.

Verbs with – ISC ending – Verbi che terminano in – ISC

Lots of verbs ending in -IRE also need to add -ISC for every form except for the 2nd and the 3rd plural persons “noi” and “voi”, which behave regularly.

FINIRE CAPIRE

Io finisco Io capisco
    Tu finisci Tu capisci
    Lui/lei/Lei finisce Lui/lei/Lei capisce
    Noi finiamo Noi capiamo
    Voi finite Voi capite
    Loro finiscono Loro capiscono

Other verbs that take -ISC are: alleggerire, preferire, pulire, costruire, contribuire, dimagrire, ferire, garantire, trasferirsi, unire, stupire, colpire, proibire, punire, fallire, ferire, impedire, incuriosire, obbedire, restituire.

For example:

“Io preferisco la pasta, tu cosa preferisci?” – “I prefer pasta, what do you prefer?”
    “Di solito Luca dimagrisce molto durante l’estate” – “Luca usually slims down a lot in the summer”
    “Noi finiamo il corso di italiano a Settembre, voi quando lo finite?” – “We finish the Italian course in September, when do you finish it?”
    “Voi contribuite alla raccolta fondi di beneficenza?” – “Are you going to contribute to the charity collection?”

To be – Il Verbo Essere

The verb “to be” in Italian is “essere” and it is completely irregular:

ESSERE
    Io sono
    Tu sei
    Lui/lei è
    Noi siamo
    Voi siete
    Loro sono

Common Italian expressions using “ESSERE”:

ESSERE CONTENTO/FELICE (to be happy)
    “Sono contento di stare a Firenze” – “I’m happy to be in Florence”

ESSERE TRISTE (to be sad)
    “Maria è triste perché la vacanza è finita” – “Maria is sad because the holiday is finished”

ESSERE ARRABBIATO (to be angry)
    “Alessia e Daniela sono arrabbiate con Gloria perché è sempre in ritardo” – “Alessia and Daniela are angry with Gloria because she’s always late”

ESSERE AFFAMATO (to be hungry)
    “Lucia è molto golosa, è sempre affamata!” – “Lucia is very greedy, she’s always hungry!”

ESSERE SORPRESO (to be surprised)
    “Sara è sorpresa della bella notizia” – “Sara is surprised by the good news”

ESSERE STANCO (to be tired)
    “Oggi il papà e la mamma hanno lavorato tutto il giorno, sono molto stanchi!” – “Today mum and dad worked all day, they are very tired!”

ESSERE IN RITARDO (to be late)
    “Gabriele è arrivato a scuola alle 11:00…è sempre in ritardo! – “Gabriele arrived at school at 11:00…he’s always late!”

ESSERE STRANIERO (to be foreign)
    “Miguel è straniero, deve richiedere i documenti per il permesso di soggiorno” – “Miguel is foreign, he has to ask for the documents for his permesso di soggiorno”

ESSERE DI + città (to be from + city)
    “Marco e Stefano sono di Milano” – “Marco and Stefano are from Milan”

ESSERE ITALIANO, INGLESE, SPAGNOLO, FRANCESE, etc.. (to be Italian, English, Spanish, French, etc..)
    “Elisa è italiana, mentre suo marito John è inglese” – “Elisa is Italian, while her husband John is English”

Here are some other adjectives for nationalities:

-a (feminine) /-o (masculine) -e (invariable)
    americano/a (American) israeliano/a (Israeli) canadese (Canadian) libanese (Lebanese)
    algerino/a (Algerian) lituano/a (Lithuanian) cinese (Chinese) neozelandese (New Zealander)
    australiano/a (Australian) marocchino/a (Moroccan) danese (Danish) norvegese (Norwegian)
    austriaco/a (Austrian) polacco/a (Polish) finlandese (Finnish) olandese (Dutch)
    basco/a (Basque) russo/a (Russian) francese (French) portoghese (Portuguese)
    brasiliano/a (Brazilian) sloveno/a (Slovenian) giapponese (Japanese) ungherese (Hungarian)
    ceco/a (Czech) spagnolo/a (Spanish) inglese (English) svedese (Swedish)
    croato/a (Croatian) svizzero/a (Swiss) irlandese (Irish) tailandese (Thai)
    indiano/a (Indian) tedesco/a (German) islandese (Icelandic)

For example:

“Kristen è tedesca, di Berlino” – “Kristen is German, from Berlin”
    “Hassan è marocchino, di Casablanca” – “Hassan is Moroccan, from Casablanca”
    “Victoria è canadese e vive a Toronto, mentre Patrick è canadese ma vive a Parigi” – “Victoria is Canadian and lives in Toronto, while Patrick is Canadian but lives in Paris”.

In negative sentences, “NON” (“not”) always needs to be put before the verb:

“Sei stanco/a?” – “Are you tired?”
    “Sì, sono stanco/a” – “Yes, I am tired” / “No, non sono stanco/a” – “No, I’m not tired”
    “Siete italiani/e?” – “Are you Italian?”
    “Sì, siamo italiani/e” – “Yes, we are Italian” / “No, non siamo italiani/e” – “No, we’re not Italian”.

To have – Il Verbo Avere

The verb “to have” in Italian is “avere”, and it is also completely irregular:

AVERE
    Io ho
    Tu hai
    Lui/lei ha
    Noi abbiamo
    Voi avete
    Loro hanno
    Just like with “to be” (“essere”), in negative sentences “NON” (“not”) needs to be put before the verb:

“Hai fame?” – “Are you hungry?”
    “Sì, ho fame” – “Yes, I am hungry” / “No, non ho fame” – “No I’m not hungry”
    “Hai un gatto?” – “Do you have a cat?”
    “Sì, ho un gatto” – “Yes I do have a cat” / “No, non ho un gatto” – “No I don’t have a cat”

Common Italian expressions using “AVERE”

Be careful! In English most of these expressions use “to be”!

AVERE CALDO (to be/to feel hot)
    “Oggi ci sono 42 gradi! Ho troppo caldo” – “Today it’s 42 degrees! I’m too hot”

AVERE FREDDO (to be/to feel cold)
    “Alessandra ha freddo, accendiamo il riscaldamento?” – “Alessandra is cold, shall we turn on the heating?”

AVERE FAME (to be hungry)
    “Sono le 14:00 e non abbiamo ancora pranzato…abbiamo fame!” – “It’s 2pm and we haven’t had lunch yet…we’re hungry!”

AVERE SETE (to be thirsty)
    “Ho sete, ordiniamo una birra?” – “I’m thirsty, shall we order a beer?”

AVERE PAURA (to be afraid)
    “Sara ha paura dei ragni” – “Sara is afraid of spiders”

AVERE FRETTA (to be in a hurry)
    “Oggi non posso parlare con te, devo correre al lavoro, ho molta fretta!” – “I can’t talk to you today, I have to run to work, I’m in a hurry!”

AVERE TEMPO (to have time)
    “Il sabato e la domenica ho tempo per rilassarmi e uscire con gli amici” – “On Saturdays and Sundays I have time to relax and go out with friends”

AVERE SONNO (to be sleepy)
    “Stanotte Luca ha dormito solo 4 ore, ha sonno!” – “Last night Luca only slept for 4 hours, he’s sleepy!”

The main meaning of “AVERE” is “to have”, and it can refer both to material things (have a car, have a cat, etc..) and non-material values (like confidence “avere fiducia”, or courage “avere coraggio”), but it is also used when talking about physical features (to have black hair, “avere I capelli neri”).

For example:

“Elisa ha un fratello e due sorelle” – “Elisa has a brother and two sisters”
    “Io ho un cane e un gatto” – “I have a dog and a cat”
    “Marco e Luca hanno i capelli biondi e gli occhi azzurri” – “Marco and Luca have blonde hair and blue eyes”
    “Marta ha lasciato il lavoro e si trasferisce da sola in Australia, ha coraggio!” – “Marta has left her job and is moving to Australia by herself, she’s brave!”

When the verb “avere” is followed by the preposition “da”, it is a colloquial way of talking about something you have to do or a duty or an obligation:

“Ho da lavorare tutto il fine settimana” = “Devo lavorare tutto il fine settimana” – “I have to work all weekend”
    “Ho da dirti una cosa importante” = “Devo dirti una cosa importante” – “I have to tell you something important”
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lesson number 9

Lesson 9 - part 2

Irregular Simple Present – Il Presente irregolare

Lots of Italian verbs are irregular; but sometimes we can arrange them into groups that behave in a similar way to facilitate your learning.

These are some of the most important irregular verbs:

ANDARE (To Go) DARE (To Give) FARE (To Make/Do) SAPERE (To Know) STARE (To Be)
    Io vado do faccio so sto
    Tu vai dai fai sai stai
    Lui/lei/Lei va dà fa sa sta
    Noi andiamo diamo facciamo sappiamo stiamo
    Voi andate date fate sapete state
    Loro vanno danno fanno sanno stanno

BERE (To Drink) DIRE (To Say) RIMANERE (To Remain) SCEGLIERE (To Choose) TENERE (To Hold)
    Io bevo dico rimango scelgo tengo
    Tu bevi dici rimani scegli tieni
    Lui/lei/Lei beve dice rimane sceglie tiene
    Noi beviamo diciamo rimaniamo scegliamo teniamo
    Voi bevete dite rimanete scegliete tenete
    Loro bevono dicono rimangono scelgono tengono

SALIRE (To Go Up) SPEGNERE (To Turn Off) USCIRE (To Go Out) VENIRE (To Come)
    Io salgo spengo esco vengo
    Tu sali spegni esci vieni
    Lui/lei/Lei sale spegne esce viene
    Noi saliamo spegniamo usciamo veniamo
    Voi salite spegnete uscite venite
    Loro salgono spengono escono vengono

Here are some groups of verbs that behave in similar ways:

Like “dire”: benedire (to bless), contraddire (to contradict), disdire (to cancel), maledire (to curse), predire (to predict).

Examples:
    Il Papa benedice I fedeli – The Pope blesses the faithful
    Luca non contraddice mai sua madre – Luca, don’t ever contradict your mother
    Mario disdice sempre all’ultimo i nostri appuntamenti – Mario always cancels our appointments at the last minute

Like “scegliere”: togliere (to take off), raccogliere (to collect), sciogliere (to melt), accogliere (to welcome).

Examples:
    Io tolgo sempre le scarpe appena arrivo a casa – I always take off my shoes as soon as I arrive home
    Scelgo la torta al cioccolato o quella alla frutta per il compleanno di Pietro? – Shall I choose the chocolate cake or the one with fruit for Peter’s birthday?
    Raccolgo io i soldi per pagare il conto del ristorante – I’ll collect the money to pay the restaurant’s bill.

Like “tenere”: appartenere (to belong), trattenere (to block), contenere (to contain), ottenere (to obtain).

Examples:
    Quel vaso contiene dei fiori stupendi – This vase contains wonderful flowers
    Stefano è molto determinato, ottiene sempre quello che vuole! – Stefano is very determined, he always gets what he wants!
    Quel cane appartiene alla famiglia Rossi – That dog belongs to the Rossi family

Like “venire”: convenire (to agree), prevenire (to prevent), provenire (to come from), divenire (to become).

Examples:
    Questo vino proviene dalla Francia – This wine comes from France
    Viene anche Luca a cena con noi stasera! – Luca’s coming to dinner with us tonight!
    Ogni anno Paola previene l’influenza con il vaccino – Every year Paola prevents flu with a vaccination.

There is a group of irregular verbs which end in -durre/-porre: they follow the same rules within themselves and use the same endings as -ERE verbs:

PROPORRE (To Propose) TRADURRE (To Translate)
    Io propongo traduco
    Tu proponi traduci
    Lui/lei/Lei propone traduce
    Noi proponiamo traduciamo
    Voi proponete traducete
    Loro propongono traducono

Like “tradurre”: condurre (to lead), produrre (to produce), dedurre (to deduce), introdurre (to introduce), ridurre (to reduce), sedurre (to seduce).

Examples:
    “Paola traduce dal polacco all’Italiano velocemente” – “Paola quickly translates from Polish to Italian”
    “L’azienda dove lavora Gabriella produce dei dolci buonissimi” – “The shop where Gabriella works produces excellent desserts”
    “Mario conduce una vita sregolata” – “Mario leads a disorderly life”

Modal Verbs and “to know” – Verbi modali e verbo “sapere”

The verbs volere, potere, dovere, sapere (“to want, to be able to, to have to/must, to know“) are all irregular in the present tense.

VOLERE POTERE DOVERE
    Io voglio posso devo
    Tu vuoi puoi devi
    Lei/lui/lei vuole può deve
    Noi vogliamo possiamo dobbiamo
    Voi volete potete dovete
    Loro vogliono possono devono

Usually, volere, potere, dovere are followed by a verb in the infinitive, but volere can also be followed by a noun.

Examples
    Potere usually means having the physical ability or the permission to do something:

Oggi non posso uscire, devo studiare. / I can’t go out today, I have to study.

Paolo non può giocare a calcio, ha la gamba rotta. / Paolo can’t play football, he has a broken leg.

SAPERE (to know)
    Io so
    Tu sai
    Lui/lei/lei sa
    Noi sappiamo
    Voi sapete
    Loro sanno

Sapere is used as a modal verb when it refers to having the competence or knowledge to be able to do something:

Non so parlare giapponese / I can’t speak Japanese
    Non so cucinare / I can’t cook

Sapere is also used as an independent verb meaning conoscere (“to know”) in certain phrases and it means “to be aware of something”:

So che Matteo ha trovato un gatto nel vostro giardino. / I know that Matteo found a cat in your garden.

In questions, it is often used to find out information:

Sai che ore sono? / Do you know what time it is?

Look at the difference:

Marco non può sciare / Marco can’t ski→ He has hurt his leg and so cannot do it
    Marco non sa sciare / Marco doesn’t know how to ski → He has never tried and so cannot do it
    Laura non può leggere / Laura can’t read → She can’t read because the paper is dirty or because the printer didn’t print properly
    Laura non sa leggere / Laura doesn’t know how to read→ She is a baby and so she is too young

Reflexive Verbs – I verbi riflessivi

Reflexive verbs describe an action that concerns the subject, or that the subject does to itself.

With reflexive verbs, we use reflexive pronouns, which are different for each person:

Io Mi
    Tu Ti
    Lei/lui/lei Si*
    Noi Ci
    Voi Vi
    Loro Si*

Forming reflexive verbs is easy, just conjugate the verb in the Present Tense and put the pronoun before the verb: that’s it!

SVEGLIARSI (to wake up) METTERSI (to put on) VESTIRSI (to get dressed)
    Io mi sveglio mi metto mi vesto
    Tu ti svegli ti metti ti vesti
    Lui/Lei/Lei si sveglia si mette si veste
    Noi ci svegliamo ci mettiamo ci vestiamo
    Voi vi svegliate vi mettete vi vestite
    Loro si svegliano si mettono si vestono

Tutti i giorni mi alzo alle 06:45 (ALZARSI) / Everyday I get up at 6.45
    Luca e Maria si divertono molto al mare (DIVERTIRSI) / Luca and Maria have lots of fun at the beach
    Maria si sente poco bene perchè ha l’influenza (SENTIRSI) / Maria doesn’t feel well because she has the flu

To help you conjugate each person with the reflexive verbs, just remember a phrase for each pronoun and then it’s easy:
    Io mi chiamo Mauro, tu come ti chiami? / My name is Mario. What’s your name?

The third singular and plural person has the same pronoun, si:

Lucia si sveglia tutti i giorni alle 7:00 / Lucia wakes up everyday at 7
    Lucia e Luca si svegliano tutti i giorni alle 7:00 / Lucia and Luca wake up everyday at 7

To remember the “noi” pronoun just think of:

Noi ci divertiamo molto in vacanza in Italia / We have lots of fun on holiday in Italy

To remember the “voi” pronoun just take out the “o”:

Voi vi addormentate ogni sera sul divano / You sleep on the sofa every night

Most Italian verbs can have a reflexive form.

CHIAMARE (to call) [who? what?]

Maria chiama Sara per invitarla alla sua festa di compleanno – Maria calls Sara to invite her to her birthday party

CHIAMARSI (to be called)

Io mi chiamo Maria – I am called Maria

SVEGLIARE (to wake up) [who? what?]

Io sveglio mio marito ogni mattina alle 07:30
    I wake up my husband at 7.30 every morning

SVEGLIARSI (to wake yourself up)

Maria si sveglia ogni mattina alle 07:30
    Maria wakes up every morning at 7.30

ALLENARE (to train) [who? what?]

Marco allena una squadra di calcio
    Marco trains a football team

ALLENARSI (to train yourself)

Marco si allena tutti i pomeriggi in palestra
    Marco trains at the gym every afternoon

Sometimes, in the spoken language, we prefer to use the reflexive verb instead of the non reflexive one to add emphasis:

Non vedo l’ora di andare a casa, così mi faccio una bella doccia / I can’t wait to go home, then I can have a nice shower

INSTEAD OF: Non vedo l’ora di andare a casa così faccio una doccia / I can’t wait to go home, then I can have a nice shower
    Dopo pranzo mi bevo un buon caffè / After lunch I drink a good coffee

INSTEAD OF: Dopo pranzo bevo un buon caffè / After lunch I drink a good coffee
    Quando bevo un buon bicchiere di vino, mi fumo una sigaretta / When I drink a good glass of wine, I smoke a cigarette

INSTEAD OF: Quando bevo un buon bicchiere di vino, fumo una sigaretta / When I drink a good glass of wine, I smoke a cigarette
    Modal Verbs with Reflexive Verbs – I verbi modali con i verbi riflessivi

When there is a modal verb + the infinitive of a reflexive verb, the pronoun can go before or after the verb, with both being correct.

Examples:

Sabato mattina Marco si deve alzare presto / Marco has to get up early on Saturday morning
    Sabato mattina Marco deve alzarsi presto / Marco has to get up early on Saturday morning
    Mi posso sedere? / Can I sit down?
    Posso sedermi? / Can I sit down?
    Io e Marco ci vogliamo allenare più spesso / Marco and I want to train more often
    Io e Marco vogliamo allenarci più spesso / Marco and I want to train more often.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lesson number 9

Lesson 9 - Exercise

1. Io non ______ per quale motivo ti comporti così.

capisci
    capiamo
    capisco
    capo

2. Io ______ andare al mare ed abbronzarmi.
    Voglio
    Volio
    Vuoi
    Vogliono

3. Solitamente Carla ______ il tè a colazione.
    beviamo
    bevono
    bevuto
    beve

4. Sara e Maria ________ in piscina tutti i giorni.
    vadano
    vai
    vanno
    andarono

5. Ogni mattina vi _________ alle sette.
    svegliate
    svegliarono
    svegliaste
    svegli

6. Io e Laura non _______ mai voglia di uscire.
    abbia
    abbiamo
    abbiate
    avemmo

7. Io non ______ in grado di sostenere un esame in russo.
    fui
    sono
    stato
    eravamo

8. Io ________ per l'Australia ogni estate.
    partisco
    parte
    partì
    parto

9. Io e Marta __________ studiare inglese.
    dobbiamo
    deviamo
    dovemmo
    devo

10. Io ____________ un bar in Via Roma a Cagliari.
    gestisce
    gestiamo
    gestisco
    gesto