Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Renaissance Total War Suggestions Thread

Default Renaissance Total War Suggestions Thread

If I may be allowed to start a general suggestions thread, I have a few things that I think that would be worth including/changing in the mod

Ramtha it's all up to you to decide if you like any of these/if it's worth the time and effort to try including them

1) Focus the time period covered by the mod
    Currently the descr_strat covers the timeline 1493-1730 (!)
    I suggest focusing to the timeline 1493 (Colombus returns with news of an unknown land to the west - even though I still prefer 1494 ) to 1555 (Peace of Augsburg between Charles V and the Schmalkaldic League - in 1556 Charles resigned and went to a spanish monastery to live his final years)

This will allow for focusing on the turbulent years before and just after the reformation (the next big bout of turbulence would occur during the 30 years war)

2) 4 turns per year due to the shorter time frame

3) Rebalance unit recruitment time to go with the 4tpy AND to reflect the reality of levying/creating units in those times. I seem to recall that casting those big basilisk cannons could take up to a year or so. Also levying some pikemen in a city can not take equal time as gathering the creme of knighthood from across the kingdom

4) Adding factions. Quite a few indeed and not just the Incas. (I'll prolly make another thread to list them)

5) Reformation script!

This is really complicated... For example factions will have to change religion (is it even possible) PLUS there may need to be a couple of emerging factions (the Schmalkaldic League instead of the former factions). There are other complications here though...

6) Unit rosters per faction...

I'll prolly make another thread to list what vanilla units are more appropriate for the era, because as things are there are quite a few units that just don't fit. But be advised that (as dristvaan pointed out earlier on) the rosters may be short and heavy on gunpowder and heavy cavalry units - which in turns will unbalance the game and is not necessarily historical (I'll show what I mean in the other thread)

Oh and a last suggestion for ramtha: get a scripting guy, because there are quite a few complex events (eg the reformation, the italian wars, etc) which will need us to give the AI a good push if they are ever going to happen

Post other suggestions freely (we can always dream, can't we? )...

cheers

Default Re: Renaissance Total War Suggestions Thread

Another suggestion:

whatever map you may use, the Hanseatic City of Danzig should be in

Torun was less important a city than Danzig (modern Gdansk) was

i like the idea of a 4 turn year.

for the timeframe i would do 1450(begginning of the final byzantine collapse, new ottoman ruler)-1618(rennaisance ended with thirty years war)

Quote Originally Posted by arfrisco View Post
    (rennaisance ended with thirty years war)
    not really... I think that most historians set the marker around the time of the english restoration, but it certainly goes at least up to the peace of westphalia (1648)

The reason I wouldn't like this mod to go that far is that the age of the 30 years war really deserves a mod on its own (there is one in the works already). Also to take this mod even to the 1618 date would really complicate things quite a bit as far as the graphics and scripting departments are concerned (eg many of the units that are appropriate for the 1490s were either obsolete or looked completely different by the 1590s, many very interesting events that should take place at such late dates may never get to be triggered, etc etc). In general I prefer campaigns nicely focused around important historical events that are more or less concurrent/contemporaneous (eg a mod about the 30 years war dealing exactly with the 30 years period, or in this mod's case the exploration/conquest of America and the Reformation) than aim for too long time periods marked by many different events (between 1450s and 1618 you'll have the end of the 100 years war, the war of two roses, the 13 year war, Mathias Corvinus, Vlad Tepes, the end of the reconquista, the exploration/conquest of America, the reformation, the peasant uprisings, the schmalkaldic war, the french wars of religion, the beginning of the 80 years war, up to the beginning of the 30 years war, etc to just name a few)...

Either way, start and end dates are to be decided by ramtha - we just give our opinions here

I'll definitely take all of those into account.

I did hear that the hardcoded limit of added factions is 30.

So we need to plan and decide carefully on which will make it in.

The 4 turn per year is perfect.

Getting a scripter is a good idea also, and changing the end year to 1550 or whatever you suggest is perfectly fine.

I don't think it is possible to have factions change religion in the campaign.
    Added factions will be worked on, Lithunia is being worked on by RTR Fan at the moment.

The fixing of levies and recruitment is a very good idea.

I suggest a new battle system, to display the evolution of cavalry, guns, artillery, pikes, and halberdiers.
    Original Creator of Renaissance Total War (MTW2)
    Creator of Medieval Classic (MTW2)
    Maker of Instant Tech Mod (ETW)
    Maker of Infinite Money Campaign (ETW)
    Maker of Blockbuster Music Mod (ETW):
    http://www.2shared.com/file/5209733/...Music_Mod.html
    A Top Contributor of the Downloads Section
    Under the Patronage of Selenius4tsd

I don't think it is possible to have factions change religion in the campaign.
    That's exactly the problem with adding Saxonly, Pfalz and Brandenburg as factions from the beginning.

Can we do the other thing? ie to trigger an event in 1531 (or thereabouts, when the schmalkaldic league was formed) that will remove all those territories from imperial (or any other catholic faction holding them at the time) and create a new emergent protestant faction (at war obviously against any catholic factions owning previously their territories)????

Added factions will be worked on, Lithunia is being worked on by RTR Fan at the moment.
    Lithuania was officially in personal union under the Jagiellon king of Poland at the time (again assuming 1493/4), but it seems that the king and his brother (Alexander Jagiellon I think) weren't at the best of terms around that time... In game terms I'd make Lithuania a vassal state but with a low faction standing toward Poland

Also, has RTR Fan have a unit roster for the lithuanians?

I did hear that the hardcoded limit of added factions is 30
    Yup...

So we need to plan and decide carefully on which will make it in.
    ditto...
    Last edited by justme; January 31, 2007 at 03:16 AM.

hello ramtha!

your mod is great, but eventually you can add some visual mods, like burreks unique textures or the sky and blood mod, or the unique shield mods

this would be great!!!
    SUPPORT YOUR COUNTRY!!!
    http://www.politicallyincorrect.de/

MEMBER of S.I.N.

@justme, To script a emergent faction will be very difficult, but it's possible to have them emerge as a rebel-type faction like in barbarian invasion with the roman rebels... that way it might work!

For the lithunians, the first release with them might be pretty soon, so far they might not be displayed as you mentioned historically, and they might not have "distinctive" units, rather they could be a combined unit roster of russian, hungarian, polish, and mongolian units?

Later we will add them to have their own distinct units.

Thanks for the input like always justme!

@JuliusCaesar, I think we could add texture mods and things like realistic arrow mod, and the skymod, I'll talk to RTR Fan and ask him if it would be compatible, becuase he's the one doing the unit_models editing, and I want to make sure that those kinda mods would work with renaissance.

this would be very cool ramtha, eventually at renaissance 3.0 *G* i hope it will be soon released
    SUPPORT YOUR COUNTRY!!!
    http://www.politicallyincorrect.de/

MEMBER of S.I.N.

they could be a combined unit roster of russian, hungarian, polish, and mongolian units?
    I think I have to check this one out... Sure the Lithuanians should be able to recruit cossack units, including the streltsi, but as for mongolian and hungarian units, hmmm... :hmmm:

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    I think I have to check this one out... Sure the Lithuanians should be able to recruit cossack units, including the streltsi, but as for mongolian and hungarian units, hmmm... :hmmm:
    I wasn't saying they did historically, I have no clue what kinda soldiers they used. In fact until I started coming to the total war forums I never even knew Lithunia was their own faction! Outside of mtw1 where they had the province of lithunia, but no lithunians.

I just thought it would look okay to give them the units of the factions that are neighboring them for the time being. Until we can create new distinct units for them.

But if you suggest them not using hungarian and mongolian units, we won't use those units then.

Quote Originally Posted by ramtha View Post
    I wasn't saying they did historically, I have no clue what kinda soldiers they used. In fact until I started coming to the total war forums I never even knew Lithunia was their own faction! Outside of mtw1 where they had the province of lithunia, but no lithunians.

I just thought it would look okay to give them the units of the factions that are neighboring them for the time being. Until we can create new distinct units for them.

But if you suggest them not using hungarian and mongolian units, we won't use those units then.
    Ok, I sure am not any Lithuanian expert either, but I thought that at least hungarian units (as they are in vanilla) seem a bit out of place for the lithuanians (in any case the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and the kingdom of Hungary shared no border). As for mongolian units, it may be more plausible... I'll have to check the roster again

[Damn! I have to set up my main computer asap, can't do much checking as I am now ]

DrIstvaan's Avatar Artifex

My suggestion (to myself, as it affects the buildings file ) :make avalibility of units gradual again. Now there is no point in upgrading your stables/town watch/gunsmith, as you get all the units with the first tier built. I've already taken care of the stables (you can DL the modified file from where the original was, the link is located in the main, Renaissance 2.7 Released thread), but I'd like to hear suggestions on what to do with
    a)town guard buildings, so please tell me what you think should become available at every consequent level;
    b)barracks buildings in castles, as right now they are virtually and literally useless.
    These changes would be regarding v2.7, as we'll have a completely revamped unit roster for 3.0 (or at least it seems so).
    EDIT: Oh, I see Justme is already working on the unit roster, so this post is obsolete.
    Last edited by DrIstvaan; January 31, 2007 at 01:20 PM.

not really... I think that most historians set the marker around the time of the english restoration, but it certainly goes at least up to the peace of westphalia (1648)
    yeah your right. for the mod i think the 30 years war would be adding too much.

Quote Originally Posted by DrIstvaan View Post
    My suggestion (to myself, as it affects the buildings file ) :make avalibility of units gradual again. Now there is no point in upgrading your stables/town watch/gunsmith, as you get all the units with the first tier built. I've already taken care of the stables (you can DL the modified file from where the original was, the link is located in the main, Renaissance 2.7 Released thread), but I'd like to hear suggestions on what to do with
    a)town guard buildings, so please tell me what you think should become available at every consequent level;
    b)barracks buildings in castles, as right now they are virtually and literally useless.
    These changes would be regarding v2.7, as we'll have a completely revamped unit roster for 3.0 (or at least it seems so).
    EDIT: Oh, I see Justme is already working on the unit roster, so this post is obsolete.

I'd also like to make recruitment progressive again, but it's actually a moot point for this mod... We're talking about the Renaissance period here, so all settlements are already well developed and many of them are (or will be after I'm done with the descr_strat ) maxed out as far as infrastracture goes...

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

You should also tone down recruitment slots. One bad thing is that you can build six units in each of your cities on the first turn, and this creates mass production of armies early in the game, and I don't like this much. What do you think?
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

I definately agree that seasonal turns are ideal. I would opt for a timeline of 1453-1600, or there abouts.

DrIstvaan's Avatar Artifex

Yes, recruitment slots should be cut, but not too much. For exapmple, in half?

I started a game up as the HRE with this mod, and two turns into the game I was in debt and was losing money. If I cant get any money I cant get troops, and besides, a lot of cities were rebelling at the beginning....

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

I started as Ottomans last night and it was a blast. Plan on hitting it again tonight. Many cities are very Orthadox and ready for revolt at the begginning, so taxes need to stay low and large garrisons need to be maintained. That means money shortage obviuosly. A very tricky game where I have went into the red several times and never feel like I am far from poverty. It is the first TW game I have ever played where I have several Rebel cities on my borders and have not been able to instantly gobble them up. The pace of conquest seems so much more sensible. I did change the years to reprent two turns per year since I like that so much better and tweaked the victory conditions just a bit. With a bit more polish and tweaking, this will be a fantastic mod. I was going to start as France, but I just could abide the ghost army in Calai and French control. I played for five hours last night and only ran into one bug. One of the unit cards for an Ottoman ship had a Peasant in the description. No ctd at all.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast