Thread: Okay, so I dl'd RTW and installed it...

Default Okay, so I dl'd RTW and installed it...

First of all, my compliments on the slick installer. I mucked around for hours with Sicilian Vespers and MedMod Manager and gave up and did a complete uninstall/install. I'm really grateful for an easy installation, believe me.

So I started a grand campaign, with Portugal, and while I deplored the Shark Bait style of vanilla M2TW, I have to say I was almost feeling lonely out there on the shores of the Atlantic. Everybody I meet seems to treat me with the utmost benevolence. Fine. Time to start building up my resources. But a those Grand Carracks are expensive to maintain and I quickly found myself going into the red with no way back out. And the Poop wanted a chuch built in Faro...

What to do? What to do?

Declare war on the Allomohads and seize Marakesh, that's what. A war over a little church, some debt, and the poop's good opinion. Blood has been shed by the bucketful over less in history so, why not?

And what happens? Nobody is home. One unit that is quickly crushed. There are no Allomohads around at all? My spy is out looking for them and their lands are deserted! So I start conquering their territory and save for one fleet and a diplomat there's no sign of them. Perhaps a war has depleted them?

Is it always this laid back? Will there be some big nasty battles in this mod?

Oh yeah, one more thing...renaissance art...this mod needs some authentic load screens like RTR had...and fortunately the Renaissance was replete with great art. Of course the period we are dealing with starts at the END of the renaissance and the beginning of the Maniera which is actually the antithesis of the early and high Renaissance...I've got a great fund of resources on this and if you'd like I can scan a lot of stuff for you that isn't even available online...

I noticed that the little monk comes on in 1498 to announce the discovery of oil painting by Jan Van Eyck...

Van Eyck discovered oil painting in the early years of the 1400's, not the end of that century..

Also, music. I've got a big library of authentic CD's of early instruments of the era...stuff like this;

Really this is the kind of music you want for this mod, not Hollywood blockbuster stuff that is done in the style of the late 1900's...(totally inappropriate)

I realize there are some copyright things, but nobody will be profiting and perhaps some sampling wouldn't be so bad or illegal?

If you want I can send you hours of stuff...really great stuff that is far more exciting, majestic and atmospheric than anything you're likely to find anywhere else...
    Last edited by Cadmium77; April 21, 2007 at 01:01 PM.

DrIstvaan's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Okay, so I dl'd RTW and installed it...

That's nice, but I think uploading that music would be quite a pain in the neck. The other one, with the "blockbuster" music, was put up by ramtha, who had lightning fast Internet connection, but, as far as I know, he doesn't have that anymore.
    For the load screens, we have new ones, which will be included in the next version.
    Also, nasty big battles will be introduced in the next version. That will be MUCH better than 2.75, but it is still in a very early stage. Anyway, believe me, it will absolutely be worth the wait!

You may want to take a look at my small mod, Like Orange in Black Chocolate.
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

Quote Originally Posted by DrIstvaan View Post
    That's nice, but I think uploading that music would be quite a pain in the neck. The other one, with the "blockbuster" music, was put up by ramtha, who had lightning fast Internet connection, but, as far as I know, he doesn't have that anymore.
    For the load screens, we have new ones, which will be included in the next version.
    Also, nasty big battles will be introduced in the next version. That will be MUCH better than 2.75, but it is still in a very early stage. Anyway, believe me, it will absolutely be worth the wait!
    Okay...normally I transfer files with individual friends using Skype which gives me about 60kb/s...MP3's can move pretty well this way...

So I'm into the campaign now...and slowly but surely this mod is growing on me, in fact it's awesome!

One tiny thing was bugging me though; every time I fire the mod up I have to reset all my game/vid setting back to the highest level...This mod has changed something from vanilla so that it doesn't remember my original settings..

But this morning really impressed me; I was used to the Allomohads being pushovers, primitive losers...and when they laid siege to Algiers with a numerically inferior force again I was sort of annoyed with their impudence. I decided to immediately sally out and break their idiot siege.

I set my pikemen to race out and form up, then I'd set a spearwall against all their camel jockeys...and my arquebusiers and muskets would tear them to shreds once they got outside and lined up.

It was a beautiful desert morning...really gorgeous...everything sparkled...but that sparkling from those camel archers; it wasn't sparkling...it was muzzle flashes! They weren't archers! They were deadly musketmen themselves! They tore me to shreds. I lost 700 men to their 40 by the time I had the sense to withdraw within the walls of Algiers, leaving heaps of corpses of my once fine garrison behind.

Fantastic..
    I'm loving this...

Quote Originally Posted by Cadmium77 View Post
    One tiny thing was bugging me though; every time I fire the mod up I have to reset all my game/vid setting back to the highest level...This mod has changed something from vanilla so that it doesn't remember my original settings..
    You can change this by taking your settings from the vanilla preference.cfg and pasting it over the renaissance settings. For some reason the renaissance.cfg doesn't remember the settings, so it has to be changed manually.

I agree, it's a great mod. The renaissance is one of my favorite era's in history.

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    You can change this by taking your settings from the vanilla preference.cfg and pasting it over the renaissance settings. For some reason the renaissance.cfg doesn't remember the settings, so it has to be changed manually.

I agree, it's a great mod. The renaissance is one of my favorite era's in history.
    Thank you Theo.

The thing with uploading music is copyright issues, if you add copyrighted (e.g. all music but about 3 songs) you can't have links to your mod except in sigs, which is a right, royal bastard. We could try to get some, the mod is in the early stages and there is a LOT of things to add, we're waiting for the official 1.2, no point releasing a mod then having to redo everything for the official version of the patch, I've done a whole load on pikes which I'm testing on 'nilla 1.2, but I really need the official patch before anything is set in stone, hopefully pike & shot combat will work a lot better than it does now. There are also a few other changes in 3.0, you'll be pleasantly suprised when you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious samurai View Post
    The thing with uploading music is copyright issues, if you add copyrighted (e.g. all music but about 3 songs) you can't have links to your mod except in sigs, which is a right, royal bastard. We could try to get some, the mod is in the early stages and there is a LOT of things to add, we're waiting for the official 1.2, no point releasing a mod then having to redo everything for the official version of the patch, I've done a whole load on pikes which I'm testing on 'nilla 1.2, but I really need the official patch before anything is set in stone, hopefully pike & shot combat will work a lot better than it does now. There are also a few other changes in 3.0, you'll be pleasantly suprised when you get it.
    Believe me, all the work you're doing is very much appreciated over here.

I'm simultaneously playing a Venetian vanilla campaign and a Portugese campaign in RTW and there's no comparison. There's a lot of very cool things going on in this mod and I'm having some fantastic battles with the Allomohads and the Spanish. I can't wait till the 1.2 mod fixes the pikes though...

I feel like making a grandiose movie of all of this...

What on earth is happening with cavalry though? Please fill me in or post a link about it...
    Last edited by Cadmium77; April 25, 2007 at 02:10 AM.