Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 21718192021222324252627

Thread: The Rings of Power. Lord of the Rings. TV Show.

Default Re: The Rings of Power. Lord of the Rings. TV Show.

A bit of a change from Morfydd Clark (*Galadriel), maybe?:

"Now that the first season has aired, how are you taking in feedback on your character and the show?

Because I’m a fan of this type of genre, I’ve read books that have then been turned into things, and I’ve been like, I don’t think the house would’ve looked like that. So, I really get it. What’s so wonderful about these worlds and these characters is that they don’t exist and yet they do so intensely in so many minds. So I think there’s an idea that you can’t please everyone. But also, I do respect the ownership of her because I know if I was on the other side, I’d also be feeling like that. I feel very protective about that. I feel quite protective of making sure she’s safe from harm."
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...awards-insider

Or some sort of attempt at a start of damage control after the people involved with the show spent a year calling critics racist, evil and telling them to shut up when called out on their ignorance, gaslighting and lies?
    Last edited by Infidel144; April 13, 2023 at 06:36 PM.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Well now, I can tell you what I believe, which ofc isn't necessarily the actual truth.. first, it's about rising cred, as said above.. then it's about showing muscles, because not giving a about wasting hundreds of millions or even billions on a mediocre product, it's a sign of extreme wealth (as stupid as this sounds.. billionaires have a different mind that us normal fellas) and finally, it's about being arrogant beyond logic, that makes you believe that you can get everything right, no matter what.

Anyways, in the end I don't think the economic loss will be that serious, probably they are not really even losing money out of this, because (and I have witnessed that myself) most of people know nothing about the Silmarillion and don't give a and has watched the show in any case.. quite sure some have bought the Prime account just to watch it. Sure the constant stream of negative reviews from LotR fans has hindered the success of the first season, but if they insist long enough, eventually we nerds will give up and it will become just another mediocre show whit a large mediocre audience.

What is really sad here is the wasted opportunity, and that's what really drives us LotR fan crazy, IMO.
    I DO assume that your statement is true. But what I am saying is that why are they so incompetent and/or why did they give the job to incompetents?

I mean it isn't just Amazon, and it isn't just The Rings of Power. Another Amazon property which was trash: The Wheel of Time. But Netflix and Disney+ are also doing a really bad job. So there are clearly other factors at play in all these cases.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    The thing is you assume your view is correct. Second that you can understand you are making a poor product aforetime. On the first take Clue. Its I think justifiably consider a cult classic but it failed at the time and with lots of reviews that are a mirror of you take.

As I said above maybe they should not have been made - given the limed access to material they got . That said they could I agree have done better but who knows. Again you seem to asserting this some new thing. As if the studio did not butcher the Magnificent Ambersons behind Well's back and did in a way that could not be undone (destroying the cuts). Why do Jaws sequels exist? Or Jurassic world? The thing is a lot production is just mediocre at best.
    They should have known from when they started thinking of concepts and during initial drafts of the script. Maybe for starters not deviating so much from the actual Tolkien material. It really isn't rocket science. This goes for any movie or franchise really. If they don't know it is bad then they are incompetent. No scratch that, if they wrote trash to begin with then they clearly weren't right for the job. But obviously an editing phase would bring light to the terrible ideas and concepts in the script.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...233036664.html

"In the United States, only 37 percent of viewers who started “The Rings of Power” actually watched all eight episodes to completion"
    + "insiders at Amazon claimed a 50 percent completion rate would be viewed as a “solid but not spectacular result” for an original."

I think that is a convincing enough argument for me to not watch the Rings of Power.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    "In the United States, only 37 percent of viewers who started “The Rings of Power” actually watched all eight episodes to completion"
    + "insiders at Amazon claimed a 50 percent completion rate would be viewed as a “solid but not spectacular result” for an original."

I think that is a convincing enough argument for me to not watch the Rings of Power.
    Whats a show that you really like and think its very good?
    The Armenian Issue

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Whats a show that you really like and think its very good?
    Hmmm... several.
    The Mandalorian comes to mind, Wednesday and the French Women at war from shows I have seen recently.

I don't think I will like the Rings of Power because my friends say it doesn't respect the original material much AND that it is not interesting as a story.
    For example, I liked Game of Thrones season 1-3, I was meh on season 4, I disliked seasons 5-6 and never watched the last two seasons because I disliked 5-6.
    Last edited by alhoon; April 14, 2023 at 05:47 PM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Patrician

For the record I watched all episodes of The Rings of Power, and while I enjoyed certain aspects of the show the writing was just so terrible that I could barely squeeze out any enjoyment out of it. While certain parts were just flat out boring.

They deviated so much from LOTR that they really should have just made this its own franchise. There were some moments that they obviously prioritized and they expected the audience to enjoy it as much as they did but it just wasn't possible.

The forging of the rings was utterly idiotic. The creation of Mordor was nonsensical. The battle for one village was really dumb. Discount Sauron was an average character if played straight as Halbrand, and really bad when they acted like this was a credible Sauron. The Mines of Moria sub-plot was just unnecessary to be perfectly honest.

Galadriel swimming across the sea was an absolutely stupid concept. The action scenes with Galadriel were next level dumb. It was dumb when Legolas was doing and it didn't suddenly become better when Galadriel was doing it. But they completely changed her character into something that it just wasn't in LOTR.

Disregarding all of the LOTR stuff or lack thereof, this show just completely fails as a story. They didn't give us anything to care about and the stuff that they kept pushing didn't do it correctly or was just plain dumb from the start. It was like they were barely trying. So it is actually baffling why they expected this to be successful if they were deviating from LOTR to begin with.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post

I would rep you for this, but I've repped you too recently. LOL. Holy cow those numbers are amazing! I'm definitely one of the 63% who didn't watch the entire series, as I could only stomach the first episode, and even then it took two viewings with me trying to give it a second chance. The dialogue was horrifically bad and the characters were incredibly cringe inducing. Even the special effects weren't that impressive. I was more impressed with Jurassic Park CGI and that came out thirty years ago.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    For the record I watched all episodes of The Rings of Power, and while I enjoyed certain aspects of the show the writing was just so terrible that I could barely squeeze out any enjoyment out of it. While certain parts were just flat out boring.

They deviated so much from LOTR that they really should have just made this its own franchise. There were some moments that they obviously prioritized and they expected the audience to enjoy it as much as they did but it just wasn't possible.

The forging of the rings was utterly idiotic. The creation of Mordor was nonsensical. The battle for one village was really dumb. Discount Sauron was an average character if played straight as Halbrand, and really bad when they acted like this was a credible Sauron. The Mines of Moria sub-plot was just unnecessary to be perfectly honest.

Galadriel swimming across the sea was an absolutely stupid concept. The action scenes with Galadriel were next level dumb. It was dumb when Legolas was doing and it didn't suddenly become better when Galadriel was doing it. But they completely changed her character into something that it just wasn't in LOTR.

Disregarding all of the LOTR stuff or lack thereof, this show just completely fails as a story. They didn't give us anything to care about and the stuff that they kept pushing didn't do it correctly or was just plain dumb from the start. It was like they were barely trying. So it is actually baffling why they expected this to be successful if they were deviating from LOTR to begin with.
    There's another possible explanation: if you know you aren't going to be able to get it right, then get it horribly wrong, and shock people: at the least you will get hate in return, which in terms of showbiz is way better than being ignored and soon forgotten.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

I can't breath

The Rings of Power Is Being Sued By A Fanfic Writer

Basically, it's something in between the cheapest attempt at getting notoriety and the greatest trolling ever.

"Here's my annotated list of everything I plagiarized from Tolkien, that Amazon is using without MY permission!"

It's real, even though I'm sure he's gonna regret that.. but glory is immortal, so well done Mr Polychron! ( even the name sounds fake)
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Amazon copied his bad writing...

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I salute you, Demetrious Polychron; you are doing the god creator Eru's work here. Carry on, soldier!

Seriously, though, that's some priceless comedy gold, whether or not the lawsuit goes anywhere.

For those, who want to know more about this funny lawsuit:

*Rings of Power was nominate in 6 categories for Emmy Awards:
    https://www.emmys.com/shows/lord-rings-rings-power
    And fails to win any Emmy Awards:
    https://www.billboard.com/music/awar...st-1235580458/

Well deserved...

Blog Entries

Some nominations are just due.. that's how the "industry" works

but yes, they could have won in just one category "outstanding ty show"
    Last edited by Flinn; January 17, 2024 at 09:19 AM.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post

Hard not agree with. Basic logic was sadly lacking in the show. OK so you want a bad ass elf - a Noldor so even cooler than Legalos because she had been born in Valinor fine make her up... Make her a captain Lorein serving Galadriel you know in the place she is mistress of (and not some teen with angst issues because of Gil Galad a child compared to her in reality.. Being neither stupid nor complacent she knows the Valar did their typical slapdash job of dealing with of Melkor and failed to clean up his minions great or small (I mean really three times in a row?). So said made elf is now tasked with being Galadriel's eyes and ears and troubleshooter in the world. Now look you got tension I have no ideal in episode one what the fate of this character will be so anything could happen.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

The One Ring.net has put out a series of leaks/rumors for season 2:

Amazon has newly expanded rights to plot points from The Silmarillion.
    S2E1 opening scene is Eru using the secret flame to create Melkor.
    Melkor (then) watches as Eru creates all the Valar and the Maiar.
    Eru is a disembodied voice vaguely human shaped but no characteristics can be made out.
    The secret flame is golden, as are all the Valar and the Maiar.
    The Valar are larger than the Maiar, but are bathed in a golden light and completely naked (the scenes were filmed with nude figures in strategic lighting.)
    Sauron will be played primarily by three actors in Season 2.
    Sauron — in Mairon form, and called such — is NOT Halbrand (Charlie Vickers) or Annatar (Gavi Singh Chera).
    After the fourth interruption of the Song, several Maia meet and discuss Melkor’s discordance.
    Mithrandir (Gandalf) is in this scene.
    Mithrandir (Gandalf) is “almost” convinced to support Mairon’s (Sauron) agenda.
    Mairon gives an epic speech, “The One has blessed me more so than all of you to see the potential of His creations, and what better way to forge their mettle than by allowing them to face Melkor’s discord and grow beyond what they think capable!”
    Sauron tells the dwarves he apprenticed under Aulė, so they welcome him with open arms.
    Sauron had a son who Adar killed.
    Horse lovers rejoice! A dedicated “bottle” episode with little dialog will tell the story of the first Mearas (Editor: these are the great horses of the Rohirrim), Felaróf, and introduce Shadowfax.
    Gandalf (Meteor Man) meets Shadowfax.
    Tom Bombadil and Goldberry are in an episode.
    They are played by the same actor and actress as Melkor/Morgoth and Ungoliant from Episode 1.
    The pair, as Bombadil and Goldberry, are serving out a punishment from Mandos per “a long-held fan theory” (Editor: this “long-held fan theory” is news to us.).
    The season will end with Sauron forging the One Ring.
    Simon Tolkien is personally involved and overseeing this show’s expansion of the mythology.
    Season 2 is mainly Sauron’s story, told from his perspective, and opens with his retelling of history.
    Episode 1 is primarily Sauron’s story leading up to the breaking of the first silence.
    Sauron will try to deceive Galadriel again by taking the persona of Celeborn.
    Sauron sneaks back into Eregion as Celeborn.
    Season ending cliffhanger involves Galadriel making a choice to save Celeborn (Sauron?).
    Episode 6-7 is a huge 2-part Siege of Eregion.

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/202...huge-new-ways/