Thread: General Vaasco vs. El Cid - Film Reel of Darth OS14

Default General Vaasco vs. El Cid - Film Reel of Darth OS14

Darth,

Most of the fighting was done with double and single click. In some cases I had my units charge beyond the enemy and engage in mid-stream to great effect. The AI would not pursue into the enemy ranks, but instead fight the very first units available.

However, the rest of the unit and AI behavior was very good. I greatly enjoyed this battle and I'm looking forward to more combat with OS 14

El Cid died bravely, charging the 33 mailed knight horsemen of General Vaasco's cohort.

coman

Default Re: General Vaasco vs. El Cid - Film Reel of Darth OS14

Another amazing battle with OS14. People were looking at me funny when I shouted, "ADVANCE!" in the middle of the diner here at the Atlanta airport.

The AI sallied out to attack me with nearly two to one odds. Crown Prince Ayyub made his best advance possible while Vaasco reacted quickly placing his spear and town militia into deep ranks, flanked by heavy horse and supported by a rear line of archers and jinetes.

Once again Vaasco was personally instrumental in turning the tide of the battle, his bravery and commitment to victory are demonstrated time and again for Spain!

One small note; the AI did face away from my positions several times, but never failed to respond once under threat. The spear lines and horse were not hindered by this, merely cosmetic. The AI once again pursued and attacked fiercely with only a small amount of direction required. Infantry and horse remained cohesive and effective (infantry are particularly dense without defend command - well done).

I confirm, horse are very responsive and effective. I consider this issue solved and the current balance and effectiveness is highly pleasing to a horseman like myself.

It is obvious that you use the force well.
    Amazing description.
    Give me more by trying the new siege pathfinding fix!

Specifically what, Lord Vader?

The first battle was a siege with rams. The second battle was a sally defense failure where I was able to capture the gates.

A genuine human attack siege to an AI defender using rams, ladders, towers maybe catapults. A full scale attack to a well prepared AI as well.

As you will, Seigneur.

I have completed your request Seigneur!

Siege Ladder behavior:

1. Ladders attack and units climb them quickly (huzzah!)
    2. Ladders that do not come into contact with enemy units continue to use all 4 rows of ladder.
    3. Ladder units hat do come into contact with the enemy switch to using a single ladder (same as previous versions)
    4. Ladder units are very quick to climb, which reduces the chance of the unit being whiped out slowly by an inferior unit atop the wall due to ladder bug.
    5. Units tasked to use another unit's ladder do so quickly without massing at the bottom and climbing 1 at a time.

Siege Tower:

Mine was burned twice in a row. Couldn't make it to the walls. I never use siege towers, they always catch fire and kill 30 or more of my men (hint hint) yet I can never set them alight when used against my own walls (never seen my defenses burn anything).

Catapults:

My two catapults pounded the fortress walls at Valencia for 5 minutes. All were direct hits, did less than 40% of damage, yet my ladder men were already finished with their fights atop the walls and the ram has already broken through the gates. (I liked the old ram/gate values better).

Interior AI behaved properly, placing spear and missile on the wall, reinforcing inside the gates with horse and spear (spear were diverted to the walls in both my games), units at the city square marched forward as my moves became apparent.

Siege AI seems to be working better than before. No testing done of the horse issues (pathfinding stringing out, suicidal generals, etc).

coman

ps. images

Thank you very much DarthMod's valuable asset. Everything is proceeding as I have planned.
    Will consider to increase a little the damage of siege machines to walls so they can be able to do more damage.
    Still I want to reflect them not worthy enough to heavy fortifications until gunpowder age comes.

No need to make a change, but I vote that you roll back the gate damage and actually make the wooden walls stronger!

I upgraded all the castles in my Spain campaign because I like sieging these big *uckers. They are gorgeous.

I like having to rush two or even three rams to the gate to break in.

I like losing a battle due to being unable to breach the gates.

I say 'viva la fortress'!

I have not yet seen gunpowder in the SP campaign. I keep having to/wanting to restart my games. I hope I enjoy the late age, or I'll be one disappointed player.

coman
    Last edited by coman; January 31, 2007 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coman View Post
    People were looking at me funny when I shouted, "ADVANCE!" in the middle of the diner here at the Atlanta airport.
    (and later on...)
    I have not yet seen gunpowder in the SP campaign. I keep having to/wanting to restart my games. I hope I enjoy the late age, or I'll be one disappointed player.
    So true on both counts! While there was no shouting on my part, I did spend my 4-hour layover in Munich by playing M2TW

And I too only ever saw gunpowder units in custom battles. The reason for this, though, is that the game was never interesting enough for me to play it through until the gunpowder (got too easy too quickly)...

Rammstein's Avatar Templar Knight

I have the impression that the siege ladder problem cant be fixed by modders, lets hope CA takes care of it in next patch. In RTW it was one of the few things which was working.

by the way does anyone know when the 1.2 patch is coming out?

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
    Thank you very much DarthMod's valuable asset. Everything is proceeding as I have planned.
    Will consider to increase a little the damage of siege machines to walls so they can be able to do more damage.
    Still I want to reflect them not worthy enough to heavy fortifications until gunpowder age comes.
    I would suggest you not to increase damage but increase the number of siege engines on a unit. I have been playing with units of 4 catapults and 3 trebuchets aslo decreasing their damage to walls -10 to each one, and i think it works nice, so you can have strong walls that could take a lot of damage, but now you have enough siege power to brake them down, the problem is time, as it should be. Walls never were unbreakable but they could give you time to harrass the enemy, to force them to a storm attack.

Try it with old walls values, same as os13 and you will see what i'm saying.
    Last edited by Thorn; February 01, 2007 at 03:50 PM.