Thread: Recruitment Questions

Bob Doad's Avatar Primicerius

Default Recruitment Questions

I am a noob and have some questions about recruitment.

But basically what things determine whether I can make units in a given settlement. For instance, as Rome during the polybian era I can only recruit my best units in Italy it seems. And on top of that it takes forever for them to replenish. Is there something I can do to make them replenish faster? Is there something I can do to get them to be recruitable elsewhere?
    O and i nom nom nom on rep so yea...click the button...im waiting
    Promoter of:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Default Re: Recruitment Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Doad View Post

But basically what things determine whether I can make units in a given settlement. For instance, as Rome during the polybian era I can only recruit my best units in Italy it seems. And on top of that it takes forever for them to replenish. Is there something I can do to make them replenish faster? Is there something I can do to get them to be recruitable elsewhere?
    cheers, as a Roma player, you can recruit your core roman units only inside Italy (excluding Cisalpine Gaul, and Sicily), and there is nothing you can do to speed it up, in fact as latin culture slowly increases, you will even lose your italian regional recruitment, a trade off for slightly incresed core roman recruitment. If you want regional units to recruit, you build free city gov, but it gives you, units basically for garrisoning this city, with very very slow replen. and very bad infrastracture options. Your only bet is to wait until turn 550+-(dont remember really, was long time ago i played them that far), which is 147 BC (you have however meet certain requirements), if you do not fulfill those requirements, Marian reform will happen automaticaly much much later into te game.
    Remember this is not Rome 2 where you can research augustan roman legionaries by turn 70, and by turn 150 r*pe everyone everywhere. If you want to witness transformation from SPQR to Impeium Romanum, you will travel that long, and hard historical pass yourself, as Romans once did, and in the end you will reap your rewards.

Bob Doad's Avatar Primicerius

Oh wow okay that is cool but definitely makes me rethink how I am going to play. I cannot train any polybian units now within 20 turns lol I guess ill just have to be more deliberate with my battles.
    O and i nom nom nom on rep so yea...click the button...im waiting
    Promoter of:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Oh wow okay that is cool but definitely makes me rethink how I am going to play. I cannot train any polybian units now within 20 turns lol I guess ill just have to be more deliberate with my battles.
    exactly my good man=) Roma maybe the easiest faction to start with, but the longer the game progress, the harder it is to play as Roma. In my last campaign, by 200 BC i conquered all north africa + Gadir and Iboshim in Iberia, and found out that i overstratched myself to the point that it started to effect my once affluent economy(my ovrsees holdings became rather huge drain on economy than investement), and i even did not conquered Dyrrachium in Greece yet, as i historically supposed !!! Even though you share with Carthage same culture, it is still hard due to natural high unrest to hold some of the cities, and Roman units are not the cheapest one to recruit/upkeep. So the mod in my opinion fantastically emulates hardships of being an Empire.

The only way to speed up your recruitment is by stacking the number avalaible. For example if you can recruit up to 4 hastati it should replenish 1 hastati per 6 turns while if you can only recruit 1 hastati than the replenishment is 1 hastati per 25 turns.

Roman is actually is one of the better factions to replenish their core army(with restriction you can only recruit or retrain them in italy) build up your roman colony to maximum level and as soon as possible upgrade the government from socii to latin constitution.

In the meantime you should focus your recruitment and retrain in Rome as much as you can because they are the only one with 4 recruit limit of Hastati,Principes and Triarii. And weirdly enough that 2 settlement in Etruscan(land north of Rome) has an unusual large number of equites romani so you could recruit/retrain the equites in Etruscan instead in Rome