Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modding Awards Discussion

Default Modding Awards Discussion

Just in case modders didn't know about it, there is a discussion going on in the curia about what modding awards would be appropriate for TWC's upcoming polls. The latest page on the thread is here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...t=80686&page=3

If anyone should be giving input on what the categories should be like, it should be modders. There hasn't been much activity there though, so I don't think many people know about it. Anyway, there it is.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Default Re: Modding Awards Discussion

Glad to see some modders infusing their thoughts into the discussion. I like your suggested list for modding awards but really feel the term "favourite" and not "best" should be used throughout. The nomination and votes reflect both the nominee's skill and popularity but the latter is more dominant. For example, a mod with little presence on TWC may be brilliant but not even get a nomination.

I also feel scripting and general coding are quite two different categories. Some may be very capable in the one but little skilled in the other.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a BI Era mod, and assume you mean Roman-era for the RTW era one.

Fantasy may need to be divided into original and those based on books/movies etc. simply because people (from past experience) vote on originality which disadvantages the latter even though some of those may not draw on any pre-exisiting concept art.

I assume by RTW throughout you refer to RTW, BI and Alexander.

Just some thoughts.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

I just pulled the fantasy designation off other previous awards. I don't have much contact with mods that aren't set in antiquity, so I'll leave discussion of that to other people.

I understand the differences in scripting and coding, but again I just pulled that award from the previous list.

Discussion like this should probably take place on that thread though in the Curia. The decisions will be made after viewing that thread and posts there, not ones here.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

I cannot post in that thread as it says I do not have permission, so I was giving feedback here.

What should be discussed in this thread?
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Many modders cannot post in the CVRIA, so I think it should be debated here, as well.

I didn't realize that. I didn't notice on the one sentence description of the Curia (when you are on the main forum) that it is restricted: "Come to discuss matters of the republic, complaints, grievances, and nominations," whereas the Symposium says "Civitates and Artifices only!"

You're absolutely right, it should be discussed here also then.

@Teleklos Archelaou, yep to clarify things I guess the Curia should have the
    'Civitates and Artifices only!' added to its description.

@MasterOfNone
    I also feel scripting and general coding are quite two different categories. Some may be very capable in the one but little skilled in the other.
    Yep agreed, especially as I've never been near scripting! We just need to be able to explain clearly in the nomination and vote gathering process, who did which parts of which mod and what effect was. I suppose part of problem is that both areas can overlap in apparent effect within a mod, i.e. lack of bug's (or not) and AI behaviour, could both be effected equally by both elements.

Fantasy may need to be divided into original and those based on books/movies etc. simply because people (from past experience) vote on originality which disadvantages the latter even though some of those may not draw on any pre-exisiting concept art.
    Well, idea of splitting the fantasy section is personally appealing (especially if we release EoD before awards start ), and sound in principle. However I'm not sure how many mods you'd get that are eligible for each section. I know there's Blue Lotus, FTW, LTR variations and (hopefully) us, but am not sure how many others are actually complete. Could some one more familiar with them come up with rough list of possible? Anyway at least having a separate fantasy section I think is an improvement over what the .org had with it combined with non-classical period historical. Getting Napoleonic and Blue Lotus etc in the same section seemed a little strange.

I also think where RTW is used as a description it does need clarifying if its intended to mean RTW, BI and ALEX as well. And using BI era as a description could be a little confusing - might be safer to refer to the approx dates instead so its clear its not necessarily about mods on BI engine (if that was intent).

RTW mods should be all mods for the RTW engine, not just RTW (1.5).

This should be the most honourable award of them all.

Of course, we could have:

Best RTW award
    Best BI award
    Best Alex award

and then one for all, but my imagination is not good enough to make up a name for it. :wink:

And yes, split the coder/scripter!

About audio, I'd split it too but I don't know of many (if any) mods besides FATW that has extensive audio work (music, voiceovers for all units), so if there aren't enough mods out there, let's just keep it.

Jubal_Barca's Avatar Master Engineer

Some people on the above are talking about removing the 'Most awaited RTW mod' category. I disagree; there are still mods (My Warhammer; Total War and Hader's Aquila Mod for example) that could easily contend for such an award.
    Sine remo flumine adverso - Latin, 'up the creek without a paddle'.
    Mod leader of Warhammer Total War, Narnia Total War, and A Game of Colleges: Total War

Under the patronage of Aden of Woodstock, The Black Prince.

I agree, and of course former winner Fourth Age: Total War (ie Apoc's, MasterofNone's and my mod) is also always a very strong candidate there. :wink:

You took it out? Damn, that's *****ty!

Put in them for both!
    Last edited by Arakorn; February 01, 2007 at 01:30 PM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

I've moved this here in the hope of sparking it back into life, anything that is worked out here will be taken to the Curia once finalised.

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

the list of awards inthis post

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...0&postcount=60

sounds reasonable to me
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

Quote Originally Posted by spirit_of_rob View Post
    the list of awards inthis post

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...0&postcount=60

sounds reasonable to me
    I like this too
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

One small suggestion from a potential participant (as voter) in such awards :

I like the idea of splitting 2d/and 3d awards very much, as there are a lot of (very skilled) artists who don't have access to the multi-k-$ modelling programs necessary.
    My suggestion however would be , that this time, only work (in aforementioned categories) may participate in any voting process that either has already been released and is therefore accesible to the public or will be submitted by the artists for this very same process and made available to the public, for the purpose of the awards.
    IIRC in the prior modding awards, several models/skins have been awarded , even rewarded which then unfortunately never have been released.

WImPyTjeH's Avatar Wimpy of the Sore Ass

Tacticalwithdrawal's list is very good IMO. I like it that he splits Best 'RTW Unit Texture Artist Award' and Best 'RTW Unit Model Artist Award' but may I also suggest splitting 'Best RTW Coder/Scripting Award' because lots of coders are not scripters and vica verca.

EDIT: I see that he forgot 'Best Mapper'

W
    Last edited by WImPyTjeH; February 22, 2007 at 08:22 AM.

Hijacking thread I would like modders imput on modding medals/awards etc here
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

WImPyTjeH's Avatar Wimpy of the Sore Ass

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Dinadan View Post
    Sorry but most of us can't post there

W

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WImPyTjeH View Post

W
    That's one reason you have this forum, if you want to suggest something for the medals do so here, someone will reference it in the Curia.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Dinadan
    Quote Originally Posted by WImPyTjeH
    W
    That's part of the point of having this forum here, to get imput from modders who can't post in curia yet

The issue of how implementation of the medals is organised is possibly slightly separate from the upcoming polls / categories debate so I've launched separate thread for it here......
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...82#post1535682

EDIT: Ooops, remind me to look at who's viewing forum, despite sigs its not a conspiracy, great minds really do think alike!

Jubal_Barca's Avatar Master Engineer

Keep plugging my line;

Most awaited RTW mod!

There are tons of contenders! Please put it in!

Aquila
    Canticle for Leibowitz
    Arena; TW
    Armies of the North
    Tamriel; TW
    Inca; TW
    Curse of Atlantis; TW
    Megas Alexandros
    Warhammer; Total War

I can dig out a few more if you want...
    Sine remo flumine adverso - Latin, 'up the creek without a paddle'.
    Mod leader of Warhammer Total War, Narnia Total War, and A Game of Colleges: Total War

Under the patronage of Aden of Woodstock, The Black Prince.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast