Thread: Cost of armies in field

Default Cost of armies in field

Just a quick one - haven't started a campaign yet, for now reading expiriences, recommendations etc. How does paying for all armies in field - and primarily I mean armies led by captains, on their way to some castle for retraining/upgrading, or reinforcments for main armies - stand up to increased economic challenge? In my current campaigns, I have usually up to 10-15 small armies of max. 2-3 units going back-and-forth from main armies, to castles, troop production centers etc. Do they suck up too much cash?

Also, AI always have many small stacks running all around their territories. Will this put them at handicap?

Author of the ---== Knights Templar Mod ==---
    Creator of the ---== Lord Calidor's Weapon Pack 1 ==---
    Member of the ---== Dominion of the Sword ==--- and ---== C.B.U.R.P ==---

ZaPPPa's Avatar RTR co-daddy

Default Re: Cost of armies in field

I don't think the script is active for the AI, so it doesn't hurt it.

I tend to have as few armies active as possible. I try to hop from city to city when I travel. You can also place forts in strategical places when it is not possible to hop to another city in one turn. Build a fort between the two cities and use that as a midway point. You will incur a one time cost, but from then on placing troops there is free of charge (without a general).

It is this added strategical value that I like so much about this script. It forces me to place generals in the right areas and for the RPG value, I will not lightly transfer titles between them, meaning that I will not always put my best general on the front line. If a new front opens with a new enemy, the local general will lead the war even if he's a pansy compared to battle hardened generals somewhere else in the kingdom. The veteran may come to his aid, but he will not take over the city and the title of the local general after the fight's over.

The caimpaign script is only for the Human player does not effect the AI.

For your method of play Lord_Calidor what ZaPPPa has mentioned with strategically placed forts will probably work best

Awesome tip, thnx guys. I think i will try this mod. I just recently ditched my DarthMod English campaign, as it become just ridiculuosly easy, even at H/VH settings, with very rewarding economic model. There just wasn't anymore challenge after I conquered 20+ provinces.

Concerning this, what's recommended difficulty level for DLV? Also, is it expected that DLV 2.0 will bring many new changes, so maybe I should better wait for it's release, before starting new campaign?

Author of the ---== Knights Templar Mod ==---
    Creator of the ---== Lord Calidor's Weapon Pack 1 ==---
    Member of the ---== Dominion of the Sword ==--- and ---== C.B.U.R.P ==---

@lord_calidor
    DLV_2.0 will be an evolution and it will take some time, but no big changes, so i recommend to start playing nooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwww !!!
    difficulty: VH campaign (Grandviz recommendation for his AI mod), VH battles

@zapppa
    good tips

repman

BareBonesWars 8.1 for RTW 1.5
    Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Deus lo Vult DLV 6.2 for MTW II Kingdoms
    Norway+Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+Teutonic_Order+Armenia+Crusader+Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6, big map, military career, economic system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, religion dependent recruiting, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

I play on VH/VH and have found: it's challenging (see my Venetian campaign : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81004), regrows hair and offers years of trouble-free operation*

Cheers! dd

*regrowth of hair and trouble-free operation not guaranteed

Libertus

@dd
    lol
    i could use regrowth of hair on head!

Quote Originally Posted by repman View Post
    @lord_calidor
    DLV_2.0 will be an evolution and it will take some time, but no big changes,
    If 2.0 will be an evolution, it should really be called 1.10. In versioning it is perfectly normal to count the minor version past 10. Reserve the 2.0 for major changes or major new features.

Yeah, I second ZaPPPa on the forts. I build a network of them between long s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-s of open road in distances that artillary can manage. I stick peasant troops (v' cheap) in them and sometimes a spy if they near the borders. They keep your troops safer from ambush and also cost free between turns. Though, generals in them at a turn end will still cost.
    Last edited by Tokus*Maximus; February 06, 2007 at 11:26 AM. Reason: 'that' was meant to be 'can' and was confusin'

You can also take units that have been decimated to occupy the forts. I have had a unit of 8 spearmen occupy a fort at 15 gold per month.