Thread: Quick question about settlement models

loseless's Avatar Civis

Default Quick question about settlement models

Hello, everybody!

Just tried this mod recently and really liked it. Still, I modified some of the files to fit into my own liking, but as long as I've been doing this, there are still some things I don't know. For instance: Elven settlements, when upgraded to Huge Cities (only possible via editing the file) have this huge tree model, that is supposed to be Caras Galadhon. I don't suppose there's a way to change this model for Elven factions other than the Galadhrim? I would like Noldorian and Silvan settlements to be upgradable to Huge City levels without them looking like a tree. I understand the models are shared between cultures, but perhaps there might be a relatively simple way to accomplish this (just like with building models and cards).

In simpler terms, I would like Noldorian and Silvan Huge Cities to retain their Large City map model. Is there any kind soul here who can tell me what files to rename and put where to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Quick question about settlement models

Hey, on the campaign map it will always be the tree for huge cities as the models are limited per culture and level of settlement + wall level. The determining file for this is "descr_cultures". For battle maps you can create individual plans in "descr_settlement_plan" however.

loseless's Avatar Civis

Thanks. But if I wanted to change the model for a specific settlement level, where are those files located?

If you want to work on the 3d-model itself: they are in "data/models_strat/residences" and take their textures from "data/models_strat/residences/textures". If you just want to assign an existing model to a certain level it's the already mentioned "descr_cultures"-file. Elves use Greek culture if you didn't know yet.

A settlement model on the strat map alway consists of two models: The model for the "core" settlement level (so the houses) and the model for the wall level which is specific for every settlement level (which means that a stone wall in a city can look completely different than a stone wall in a large city for example). You can however design them in any way you want. Minas Tirith for example consists out of the seven rings as the "core-part" and the rock in the middle as the wall model.

So maybe you find a way making the mallorn tree a wall piece only buildable in caras galadhon or something and the core part like normal house which are hidden under trees but that might become complicated as you have to work with the battlemap too then (as the wall of that level must really exist in that settlement).

loseless's Avatar Civis

Thanks! I've got what I needed.

Have a good one!

In descr_settlement_plans you can create a new plan set that you can call in descr_strat (in your campaign folder). Here's an example from my avatar mod:

1. in descr_settlement_plans you first go the the plan section and add a new line for a plan:

plan NWC_Plan tla_northern_capital.txt

2. Then you add a new plan_levels in the plan_by_level section:

plan_levels NWC_levels
    {
    village Barbarian_Village
    town NWC_Plan
    large_town NWC_Plan
    city NWC_Plan
    large_city NWC_Plan
    huge_city NWC_Plan
    }

As you can see settlements that get this plan by level will always be the NWC plan unless it is at the village state, this is how I made the Northern Water Tribe Capital unique to just 1 settlement

3. Now to be able to call your plan levels you first define a 'plan_set' within the plan_sets section:

plan_set NWC_set
    {
    locale any
    default NWC_levels
    }
    Now the Northern water tribe capital level plans are used regardless of culture you can make it look different by culture as it is done for the vanilla levels like this:
    plan_set default_set
    {
    locale any
    ;default test_levels

roman Roman_plan_levels
    greek Greek_plan_levels
    carthaginian Carthaginian_plan_levels
    egyptian Egyptian_plan_levels
    eastern Eastern_plan_levels
    barbarian Barbarian_plan_levels

}
    4. Lastly in descr_strat.txt you replace the word default behind plan_set to the name of the plan_set you defined in step 3 so in our case replace it with 'NWC_set'

loseless's Avatar Civis

I have a different question, but rather than opening a thread, I'll try asking it here, as the board seems pretty dead:

I am quite curious as to how did the creators of the mod managed to make all the lands in the Mordor regions look black in the campaign map. Even when changing the borders of the regions in the desc_regions.tga, the textures remain the same, so I assume there's a file somewhere that attributes the texture to specific tiles, but I cannot find such a file. Could someone kindly point it to me?

Thanks in advance!

Hello again,

you have to delete the map.rwm-file in that folder after you made the changes. The game will generate an updated version of this file once you start it and your changes will appear in the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by loseless View Post
    I have a different question, but rather than opening a thread, I'll try asking it here, as the board seems pretty dead:

I am quite curious as to how did the creators of the mod managed to make all the lands in the Mordor regions look black in the campaign map. Even when changing the borders of the regions in the desc_regions.tga, the textures remain the same, so I assume there's a file somewhere that attributes the texture to specific tiles, but I cannot find such a file. Could someone kindly point it to me?

Thanks in advance!
    It is done by assigning these textures to a certain ground type or climate, what you want to do is edit the ground_types.tga and/or climates_map.tga and as gwoodelf mentioned delete the map.rwm after making changes.