Thread: spear_bonus_8

Default spear_bonus_8

Anyone know exactly what this bonus gives? I'm talking about original RTW, RTWR I can't digest it because of the interface but I checked the export_descr_unit.txt file and it's pretty much the same apart from the varying faces of the soldiers.

Default Re: spear_bonus_8

I have seen this topic but here it says that I'm bonus exists only in BI while I have also met it in classic RTW.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...lete-EDU-Guide

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

It is used in BI, but can be used in RTW

BI:
    short_pike, spear, spear_bonus_4
    light_spear, spear_bonus_4
    spear, spear_bonus_8

*Pike: Use shorter than normal spears. Can be used with phalanx ability or without it. The unit is still considered as infantry (and not spearmen). Grants a bonus of 8 versus mounted units, but due to the qualities of the formation (spacing, cohesion, etc) it seems that it roughly gets an extra -1 versus everyone. It also seems that short_pike overrides light_spear and spear, so that when the two are combined spear/light_spear is ignored, though due to it's own qualities it does slightly affect combat, depending on the units involved. Additionally, short_pike is required for units using the 'schiltrom' formation, because when in schiltrom and without short_pike, the soldiers will very rarely attack enemies.

• spear_bonus_x (BI only): 'x' may be any even number between 4 and 12 inclusive. Must be accompanied by spear or light_spear attributes, otherwise it has no effect. It stacks with the default bonuses of these two attributes.
    • light_spear: Gives default bonus of +8 to defense vs cavalry, and penalty of -4 to defense vs. infantry. Offers less pushing power than spear.
    • spear: Gives default bonus of +8 to attack vs cavalry, and penalty of -4 to attack vs. infantry. Offers more pushing power than light_spear. Units with "spear" attribute tend to lose cohesion and break lines (due to the extreme pushing power) with undesired results, so use is advised only with cohesive formations/attributes like short_pike, shield_wall, phalanx etc.

FATW:
    light_spear, spear_bonus_6
    light_spear, spear_bonus_6, short_pike

EDU Matic:
    light_spear 4
    light_spear 6 short_pike
    spear 10 long_pike

MTW2:
    spear, spear_bonus_8
    spear, long_pike, spear_bonus_8

Aradan has tried to tidy it up, by giving us examples of balanced spear use in the EDU_matic. Because spear causes the unit to lose formation, it is replaced by light-spear in many cases. You can play around with the numbers, depending on your game, but for balance’s sake, I use the EDU-matic data as a guide.

Hope this helps?

Cheers
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Kylan271 View Post
    It is used in BI, but can be used in RTW

BI:
    short_pike, spear, spear_bonus_4
    spear, spear_bonus_8

*Pike: Use shorter than normal spears. Can be used with phalanx ability or without it. The unit is still considered as infantry (and not spearmen). Grants a bonus of 8 versus mounted units, but due to the qualities of the formation (spacing, cohesion, etc) it seems that it roughly gets an extra -1 versus everyone. It also seems that short_pike overrides light_spear and spear, so that when the two are combined spear/light_spear is ignored, though due to it's own qualities it does slightly affect combat, depending on the units involved. Additionally, short_pike is required for units using the 'schiltrom' formation, because when in schiltrom and without short_pike, the soldiers will very rarely attack enemies.

• spear_bonus_x (BI only): 'x' may be any even number between 4 and 12 inclusive. Must be accompanied by spear or light_spear attributes, otherwise it has no effect. It stacks with the default bonuses of these two attributes.
    • light_spear: Gives default bonus of +8 to defense vs cavalry, and penalty of -4 to defense vs. infantry. Offers less pushing power than spear.
    • spear: Gives default bonus of +8 to attack vs cavalry, and penalty of -4 to attack vs. infantry. Offers more pushing power than light_spear. Units with "spear" attribute tend to lose cohesion and break lines (due to the extreme pushing power) with undesired results, so use is advised only with cohesive formations/attributes like short_pike, shield_wall, phalanx etc.

FATW:
    light_spear, spear_bonus_6
    light_spear, spear_bonus_6, short_pike

EDU Matic:
    light_spear 4
    light_spear 6 short_pike
    spear 10 long_pike

MTW2:
    spear, spear_bonus_8
    spear, long_pike, spear_bonus_8

Aradan has tried to tidy it up, by giving us examples of balanced spear use in the EDU_matic. Because spear causes the unit to lose formation, it is replaced by light-spear in many cases. You can play around with the numbers, depending on your game, but for balance’s sake, I use the EDU-matic data as a guide.

Hope this helps?

Cheers
    Phil
    Thank you, very interesting, I'm trying to understand the export_descr_unit file as much as possible, maybe for other questions I will open a separate topic or consult old topics.

I only play RTW so I don't know how BI's schiltrom works, is it like the testudo?

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

No, the Testudo is just to shield troops from missile fire by raising shields, but schiltrom is to defend against cavalry with a wall of spears.