Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pikes or Hoplites

Default Pikes or Hoplites

So I haven't examined the stats in detail or anything but I'm curious why would you use hoplites over pikemen? I'm pretty sure pikes have longer spears and thye have 240 men as opposed to 160 hopilites on huge setting. I don't know who would win in a one on one but the only advantage hoplites have that I can see is they seems to take less missle casualties, but I can't even confirm this either.

Default Re: Pikes or Hoplites

hoplites defend better then Phalanx and have greater stats then Phalanx but after all Phalanx RuLES

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

THe Hoplites have much better defensive stats, and fight just as well as a unit as phalanx units do. The only difference really is how they use their spears. While the phalanx is more powerful against the head on attacks, the hoplites are much more manuverable, and are better in hand to hand combat than phalanx units in hand to hand without their pikes.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Pikes!

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

What do you mean by "defend" better? They hold formation better? Or the numerical defense stat is better? Is the stat bonus enough to overcome the advantage of 80 more men in a phalanx?

Mithradates's Avatar Domesticus

Pikes FTW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtickles View Post
    What do you mean by "defend" better? They hold formation better? Or the numerical defense stat is better? Is the stat bonus enough to overcome the advantage of 80 more men in a phalanx?
    better deffecnce stats hold formation better ,grater morale and order , much better then phalanx at swordFighting

Giorgos's Avatar Deus Ex Machina

On the one hand if you can box a phalanx formation and have light skirmishers(archers, akonstistes) as well as cavalry to chase down shirmishers of the enemy, then it's far too difficult to lose. On the other hand, pikemen are more flexible as a formation. They can turn quickly whereas the phalanx takes a month to turn a 180 turn. Also, as already noted, pikemen as usually better in hth combat.

I love both when defending a city. Everywhere else they are just too slow. I hate them in the field. Give me the Romans in the field any day.

Wait wait wait what?! Now I'm lost due to everyone mixing terms so here's what I'm getting from this.

Hoplites (Spartans, Armoured, Militia, etc) - Better morale, tighter formation, better defence, better in HTH, more flexible.

Pikemen (Silver Shield, Phalanx, Levy) - More men, Longer spears, Better in head on combat

Just as a reference point BOTH qualify as phalanx since both use the formation. So basically what I'm hearing is that hoplites>pikemen? I kinda agree except I've only used Levy pikes so far so too soon to tell yet.

I can't possibly vote for pikes, because hoplites look so damn cool Especially armoured hoplites and all hoplites in XGM.
    Muahah, you just wasted 3 seconds of your life!

myrm1d0n's Avatar Foederatus

wait a min- if im not wrong hoplites predominantly have higher stats on off And def.they lose out to pikes on numbers only,but hoplite are more maneuverable than pikes.tats why they almost always outflank pikes like those in the um.i think the seleucid armies ya?!like spartan,sacredband,armoured..they just outright rule!

Hoplites!!!
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head

"U CAN NEVER PREDICT THE UNEXPECTED"

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Hoplites own Pikemen so hard it's not even funny. Excluding Spartans, hoplites (in general) are cheaper & stronger than Pike units. The amount of men per Pike unit is a dubious advantage since they never fight till the last man. In fact, they'll run away like little cowards. It's really a no-brainer deciding which is superior.

Also, having longer pikes is just a graphical distinction when comparing hoplites vs pikemen. Seriously, it makes no difference.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; January 17, 2008 at 08:26 PM.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Prince_of_Macedon View Post
    Hoplites own Pikemen so hard it's not even funny. Excluding Spartans, hoplites (in general) are cheaper & stronger than Pike units. The amount of men per Pike unit is a dubious advantage since they never fight till the last man. In fact, they'll run away like little cowards. It's really a no-brainer deciding which is superior.

Also, having longer pikes is just a graphical distinction when comparing hoplites vs pikemen. Seriously, it makes no difference.
    Very true, at least according to my experience.
    ---When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with---

---What's brave, what's noble, let's do it after the high Roman fashion,
    And make death proud to take us---

---When we are born, we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools---

yeah, I've found that neither hoplites or pikes are any good in open field combat, but in cities with tight streets and alleys, they can owwn, no flanmking them. And yeah, hoplites are better.

Who dug up this thread?

Pikemen have longer spears and more men per unit, but has lesser stats and are more vulnerable to missiles.

zedestroyer's Avatar Biarchus

On version 1.5 Hoplites rule, use Armoured Hoplites or Sacred Band Infantry against Phalanx and you will see the Hoplies crushing the Phalangists.
    In version 1.2 the Phalanx units own the Hoplite units, the only exception are the Spartans.

68 Powers's Avatar Campidoctor

Roman Cohorts FTW!
    Peace on earth - Death to the Enemy!

Ghoulem's Avatar Biarchus

Incendiary Pigs FFS!
    Muhaha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast