Thread: Issues with my 2.1 game - an AAR of a sort

Default Issues with my 2.1 game - an AAR of a sort

Before I begin, let me congratulate Lusted for the excellent mod. This is the best mod out there and I am eagerly awaiting every new version. There are, however, several problems with it:

- firstly, rebel settlements. Even though some improvement is visible, the AI is again quite unreliable in taking them over. In my recent campaign with the Danes, I took Antwerp and did not want to take Bruges so that I would not be too strong too early. Look what happened:

The computer never took Bruges, even though it had TONS of stacks just south of it. The same thing happened to Magdeburg - noone took it even though I left it alone (no blitzing...).

- secondly, note the scottish army just northeast of antwerp. It stayed there forever. Take a look:

The same thing was happening with the Germans earlier on. I was allied with both factions.

Consequence: gave up on the campaign.

There are several other things I noticed campaign-wise:
    - huge amounts of money sloshing around. Note my treasury on the second image. Apparently all factions in the game have as much money as myself despite the wars.
    - easy growth of cities: 10000 is one growth level, and 18000 another, which tends to come rather quickly with a growth rate of 5%. Needs to be made more difficult.

Battle-wise, I haven't had too much trouble with any of the opponents. - Passive AI still seems to be there during sieges when I field a considerably stronger force.
    - The charging AI that Darth introduced when AI is weaker in terms of archers works like a charm though...
    - Enemy morale seems to be quite low as they rout easily (VH-VH, I always play like that).

Lusted, may I suggest that you incorporate the ridiculously-high movement rates for armies too? I think they may come in quite handy for the AI as it apparently spends ages to combine its smaller forces into a well-rounded army which then has no movement points left to go and attack something.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Re: Issues with my 2.1 game - an AAR of a sort

Lusted, may I suggest that you incorporate the ridiculously-high movement rates for armies too?
    No, as it reduces the game to a siege fest.
    - huge amounts of money sloshing around. Note my treasury on the second image. Apparently all factions in the game have as much money as myself despite the wars.
    I'll have a look but im always low on cash as im always building things and recruiting units.
    - easy growth of cities: 10000 is one growth level, and 18000 another, which tends to come rather quickly with a growth rate of 5%. Needs to be made more difficult.
    Wait until you get to the late game, growth rate slows down A LOT. Unfortunatley there does not seem to be a way to reduce growth rate but have it keep going for longer.
    Battle-wise, I haven't had too much trouble with any of the opponents. - Passive AI still seems to be there during sieges when I field a considerably stronger force.
    Thats a M2TW bug - it cannot be fixed by modding

- Enemy morale seems to be quite low as they rout easily (VH-VH, I always play like that).
    I increased it from normal M2TW, and i wont increase it anymore as it would make battles too long for my taste.

It looks like the next versions of the UltimateAi mod will feature more aggressive ai.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Arksa's Avatar Centenarius

Funny how people whine why a mod doesn't fix everything they want to be fixed.

Hm, it was my intention to provide constructive feedback rather than whine. Suit yourself .

didnt sound like whining to me

Papal_Knight's Avatar Biarchus

if you play awhile, the money thing evens out. once some wars start, you'll think back fondly of your days with a fat treasury! it won't last, trust me!

Tuitio Fidei et Obsequium Pauperum

Wolfgrin's Avatar Semisalis

Papal_Knight is right. As the Byz on H/VH, I arrived at around turn 50 with over 100,000 florins. The only combat had been with rebels. The whole world was at peace, wearing flowers in its hair and singing. THEN...I lost my two best trading partners, Turkey and Egypt, when they declared Jihad on me. Suddenly, my money dried to a trickle as I pumped out troops. What saved me was a raiding forced that I sent out from Cyprus that would take and sack unprotected Egyptian cities. It took me decades to conquer Anatolia. Great fun.

I guess I just rock. As Spain, with plenty of allies and only Egypt as an enemy (after destroying the Moors) I have around 300k in the bank with a healthy growth rate. Of course I have 13 cities, only one castle, and get many of my "elite" units by crusading and recruiting mercs. But it certainly seems to me like all the factions have lots of cash. I've never seen so many countries with "boundless" wealth

Papal_Knight's Avatar Biarchus

well, I still think Lusted is going in the right direction re the cash. the AI seems to do better now, and the game is more fun (IMO).

Tuitio Fidei et Obsequium Pauperum

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

are you kidding me? im bankrupt right now, and im on my 13th turn.

Sonny WiFiHr's Avatar Campidoctor

After fighting endless stacks.I'm bankrupt (supporting over 12 stacks and I need more)

In my VH/VH Sicily campaign i was in bankrupt after i was driven off Jerusalem
    from religius unrest. In many turns my only incomes were ransoms and sackings while fighting on two fronts: north africa against the Moors and middle east against Egypt and rebels.

I suggested the Pope to call a crusade on Grenada and this cutted off Moors reinforcements leaving me the time to gain Marrakesh: my initial objective.

Only now my coffins start to pile gold.

In my opinion LTC is a very good mod and I think the money balance (at least for players) works perfectly. Before declaring a war you must be sure that you can afford that..

mr.blonde's Avatar Tiro

I totally agree, after 50-60 turns with total peace as the byzs, Hungary decided to attack when i started a war with the turks, the money hit was great and until now i have a very enjoyable and challenging campaign.The balance is perfect and in the beginning i had concerns about too much money but that was not the case. Thanks again Lusted it is a great balancing.Also i recommend the beta 1.2 of Grandviz works perfect for me.

Walk softly and carry a big gun

I've been trying the 1.3 beta of the UAI mod.

I started a new campaign as Venice today. Things were going well, i joined the first crusade to Jerusalem. But then things started to go wrong. Egypt had 2 full stacks attack my Crusading army and it got heavily beaten. then Milan laid siege to Venice. My Crusading army is currently hiding in ships of the coast of Jerusalem, occasionally jumping off hiring some crusader mercs and trying again. And im currently using what little cash i have to build an army to attack Milan, who the papacy have agreed to help me attack.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

I actually had a good use for vassalage in my game a few days ago. France had about 8 full stacks taking Caen by siege, and they asked me to be their vassal. I didnt know I would lose all my money, so I accepted. My treasury went from 100,000 to 10,000 that turn, but I was safe as an ally of france. I stayed under their shadow for about 40 turns, and then cancelled the vassalage, made a new alliance, and gave them money until we were on perfect relations. It saved me from losing Caen though. And about 30 turns later, I had a treasury of 350,000

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

ENSAIS's Avatar Decanus

I gotta try that out... never been a vassal yet. But it would be a historically accurate way to buy off a superpower...

GrandViZ's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    I've been trying the 1.3 beta of the UAI mod.

I started a new campaign as Venice today. Things were going well, i joined the first crusade to Jerusalem. But then things started to go wrong. Egypt had 2 full stacks attack my Crusading army and it got heavily beaten. then Milan laid siege to Venice. My Crusading army is currently hiding in ships of the coast of Jerusalem, occasionally jumping off hiring some crusader mercs and trying again. And im currently using what little cash i have to build an army to attack Milan, who the papacy have agreed to help me attack.
    Sounds like you are having a lot of fun with the latest UAI beta . May I ask which files you use, as I know you have your own prefered mixture of modifications.

Best regards
    GrandViZ
    Creator of the Ultimate AI
    Co-Author of Broken Crescent

Under the Patronage of Trajan

Wolfgrin's Avatar Semisalis

To all of you who have contributed to this mod, I just have to say, you've done a great job.

I'm in the year 1266 as Milan on VH/VH and having one heckuva game. I've been very slow about expanding, mostly seizing opportunities as they arise (e.g., I only attack other factions when they have attacked me or have been excommunicated). I've noticed (to my delight) that when one super power gets really aggressive, everyone dogpiles them, and before long, they've been reduced to a smoking stump or destroyed. For instance, when France, the current leader in the game, attacked me, ALL of my allies went to war with them! How cool is that? Army make-up is awesome, too. France came at me with good combos of heavy inf, cav, missile troops and some artillery. The Danes, who started off slowly, have become huge, with impressive stacks of huscarls, dismounted knights, feudal knights and hospitallers. I own all of Italy, including Corsica, Sardinia and Sicily, and have Durazzo and Tunis. The coming wars look exciting with Denmark, Poland and Russia all very strong.

In short, the tweaks you've been making to the mod are working. The money can be a bit easy at times, but to restrict it much means an excruciating, if not impossible, early game.

I look forward to the next version. LtC and, to a lesser degree, Big Map are making M2:TW the great game it should be.

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun with the latest UAI beta . May I ask which files you use, as I know you have your own prefered mixture of modifications.
    The descr_campaign_ai_db.xml, descr_diplomacy.xml and descr_faction_standing.txt.
    Creator of: