Thread: Education and alignment shifting?

Default Education and alignment shifting?

I just came from Medieval 2, and I can more or less find my way around descr files there, but things seem to be a bit different here. Anyway, how education works? Is it related to character age? Also, why no age number shown? Instead I gotta figure it out by looking at the trait.

Finally, that might be an engine thing, but I get EVEN LESS trait/ancillary acquisition pop ups here. For a game that is so role playing heavy, that makes character management difficult to say the least. Anything that I can do about that, or I just should truck on and check my characters every so often?

Edit: Also yeah, alignment shift. Can I change a character's religion in-game? What do I do, just keep them mucking around in a settlement with max level alignment building?

Default Re: Education and alignment shifting?

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    I just came from Medieval 2, and I can more or less find my way around descr files there, but things seem to be a bit different here. Anyway, how education works? Is it related to character age? Also, why no age number shown? Instead I gotta figure it out by looking at the trait.

Finally, that might be an engine thing, but I get EVEN LESS trait/ancillary acquisition pop ups here. For a game that is so role playing heavy, that makes character management difficult to say the least. Anything that I can do about that, or I just should truck on and check my characters every so often?
    The slow acquisition of ancillaries is on purpose, I think it's mainly because governorship is coded as an ancillary (to prevent it from switching to/between FMs visiting the same town, like in other mods), and there has to be room for that, since a character can only have eight ancillaries. On the bright side, it's almost impossible to get trash ancillaries in this mod, unlike in others.
    The rest is also due to mod-specific quirks. The exact age isn't shown because of the different ways in which Elves and Dwarves age in comparison to Men. It'd kind of break the immersion if a Dwarf died at 70 allegedly out of old age (canonically, they live for 250 years or so). You may have noticed that it's also awkward to manage family trees.
    I think educational success is related to traits, particularly a character's intelligence. The presence of an academy can also help.

Edit: Also yeah, alignment shift. Can I change a character's religion in-game? What do I do, just keep them mucking around in a settlement with max level alignment building?
    Basically, yes. I think there is a guide to traits and such out there, somewhere.

[MARKED FOR DELETION, DOUBLE POST]
    Last edited by RodriguesSting; January 29, 2021 at 03:43 PM.

I've been reading a bit more of the file. It is quickly apparent that the loyalty state of your governors is a major factor on how well your faction will do, as loyal governors offer substantial bonuses. And other than spending time at the court (with varying results), keeping their title and settlement, and getting to manage their taxes (never seen that feature used like that before), the only factor you can control on how they will like your faction leader is his authority. And for that, there's A LOT of traits and triggers, some with factors I never seen in the M2TW engine. Would anybody care to explain them to me?

1. Rule Authority Finances. The higher the threshold acquired in this trait, the more influence the ruler get, at the price of local popularity. This one seems to be related to:

A) Faction Taxation.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Trigger faction_taxation_X_1 WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition IsFactionLeader
    and Trait NumberOfSettlementsA > 0
    and MedianTaxLevel = X

Affects FactionTaxation Y Chance 100

;------------------------------------------

Trigger faction_taxation_X_2
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition IsFactionLeader
    and Trait NumberOfSettlementsB > 0
    and MedianTaxLevel = X

Affects FactionTaxation Y Chance 100

With X being your taxation level, from 1 to 4, Low to Very High, and Y being the resulting threshold, from 1 to 4. 1 and 2 result in RulerAuthorityFactionFinancesRank increases, 30 and 15 respectively, and Very High, NegateRulerAuthorityFactionFinancesRank 15, effectively being a malus. My questions here are, what's SettlementsB, and how the MedianTaxLevel is calculated?

B) Treasure level. Threshold from 1 to 5. 1 is the lowest and automatically achieved, 2 is when you are not in debt. 3 when treasury is above 10K, 4 above 50K, 5 above 100K. Pretty self explanatory

C) TurnsWithHighArmyUpkeep. 5 levels, gained in 20 turns. If SupportCostsPercentage > 0.7, you gain one point. If not SupportCostsPercentage > 0.7, you lose a point. Having points here is bad, but what exactly is SupportCostsPercentage? Your army upkeep checked against your total income?

This seems to be all checked against RulerAuthorityFactionFinancesMdf, that seems to be faction-based. In fact, there are other Mdf parameters.

So anyway, what conclusion can I get about this specific parameter? That some factions will be able to achieve higher authority solely from finances than others?

Yes, different factions attach different levels of importance to each factor affecting Ruler Authority.
    You may find this useful: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...of-Liege-trait

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    Yes, different factions attach different levels of importance to each factor affecting Ruler Authority.
    You may find this useful: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...of-Liege-trait
    Fantastic, thank you very much!