Page 13 of 270 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122233863113 ... LastLast

Thread: Quiz (Read the rules or don't enter) (reward included)

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Quiz (Read the rules or don't enter) (reward included)

Yup, all the ones you answered are correct.

In the aftermath of Kirghiz attacks on the North, it was alleged that Langdarma had been assassinated by a Buddhist hermit, which fit well with his portrayal of anti-Buddhism. However, some historians disagree with those accounts, so the claim remains alleged.

Major Lanoe Hawker was described as "the British Boelcke" by Manfred von Richtofen, the Red Baron, and is considered to be the Baron's most prestigious kill in his dogfighting career.

Henry Tandey during the battle of Marcoing, a Private at the time, had Adolf Hitler in his line of fire but did not shoot, because he would not shoot a wounded man. Hitler had been an Austrian Corporal at the time, and years later he sought the records of Tandey and thanked him, as well as framing a picture of him on the wall. Before Tandey died he was quoted as saying "If only I had known what he would turn out to be. When I saw all the people, woman and children, he had killed and wounded I was sorry to God I let him go".

Someone else will have to rep him for the bonus, I don't think I can. Still need the other two and there's still a bonus to be had.

All the Best,
    Chris
    Achtung! 0v3rl0rD

There is a flaw in your question about oldest city, i would think

Surely you mean oldest continuous settlement in recorded history, not oldest city. We all know it as Jericho and has existed for more than 10,000 years. However what exactly is a city? I can name Baghdad as the oldest surviving city by saying that the definition of a city must be that it must exceed 1 million people and have universities and other centers of learning that mark it as a point of contact for civilization, otherwise it is a town or a settlement (make that Xi'an. Even without a proper census, i do believe China did have towns larger than 1 million at that point in time).

I would also point out that in the Mesopotamian Areas, and the indus and ganges areas, there were pretty large "cities" which showed signs of urban planning and sewage disposal. Namely Harrappa and Mohenjo-daro. Although they aren't as old as Jericho, but they would by most classifications be termed "cities".

*and to answer the other questions:

Bonus 1= Shen Bingkun
    Last edited by fastspawn; April 27, 2007 at 01:54 AM.

nice thing that with the oldest cities :O

Patrician Citizen

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I'll accept the answer for the oldest cities one since you are right that the meaning of what a city constitutes can be construed to mean many things, and have taken the time to explain it. The one I was looking for would not have in modern terms been considered a city, but back then it was the largest gathering area in a long distance and may have been considered as such. That place is Catalhoyuk in Turkey, and it translates to English as "fork mound".

The bonus question is also correct. I still need the answer to the third question in combination with the other three answered. Repeat:

3) What famous Mongol tactician was carried in a cart to battle because he was of such value?

Let me try your quwstion
    was this person's name Subotai/Suboktay/Suboktai? (Don't know exactly which spelling is correct)

Check to Wikipedia - Subutai.
    Yes, your answer is correct.

Patrician Citizen

Yes, Subedei(I believe the correct spelling, wiki schmiki), was carried to battle in a cart due to his value to the campaigning armies of the Mongols during their advance into Europe. Due to the fact that Mongol leaders directed the battle from hills or other locations away from the battle, it was not a disadvantage for them to bring him in that sense. I think the reason they carried him was because as he got older he got really fat, or something of the like.

I'm not sure how it works as far as who gets the next question, since no one has yet to combine all the answers yet, only piece meal. To make it fair the next person to combine all the answers can have the next question.

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

Lucifer the standard practice in this situation is to give it to whoever got the most right
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl

Patrician Citizen

Okay then, Perkele gets the next question for getting two right and a bonus.

Okay, here's a few
    1. What is the smallest island to be divided by two countries, and what's so peculiar about it?
    2. During WW2 the gulf of Finland was mined by finnish, german and soviet forces, this blocked all naval movement in and out of Leningrad. When(year) was the first route from Leningrad opened to naval traffic?
    3. And last but not least, what Brazilian light cruiser effectively sank itself and how?

Well, 1, I guess, is Cyprus. At least confirm if this is true.

Oh wait, it can't be... Nevermind.
    Last edited by iudas; May 07, 2007 at 12:49 PM.

I guess Q1. it is Hispaniola.

Both wrong.

I'll give a hint, it has a lighthouse on it.

for #1 would it be the island of Timor and the reason it is strange is becuase of how the land was split between indonesia and East Timor. the division between netherlands and portugese

there maybe a problem with this question because there are many small islands divided between Canada and Minneota near the boundary waters.
    Last edited by monkeyman; May 06, 2007 at 08:30 AM.
    - beta tester for Paeninsula Italica

No, that would be wrong again. You're thinking too big. Islands can be much much smaller.

Patrician Citizen

1) Märket is a small island that I believe defines the border between Sweden and Finland, but I'm not sure if it's the smallest or if it has a lighthouse.

2) I don't quite understand the question, saying year makes it rather easy, it's either 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 more than likely. I remember something about closing naval traffic from Leningrad in fear of a drop from Russia, but I don't think it was very long, so I'd say 1941, but I'm no Finland expert

3) Pass for now

All the Best,
    Chris
    Achtung! 0v3rl0rD

1. Is correct, the 'peculiar' thing is that the finns built the lighthouse in the swedish side by accident and thus the border had to be redrawn. There ain't much else than the lighthouse there.

2. Incorrect. I am looking at year after the war started, so as it started in 1941 and was mined then, very unlikely it would be opened the same year.

I guess:
    Q2. 1950.
    Q3. Bahia class cruiser; exploded and sank 4th July 1945.