Page 11 of 270 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661111 ... LastLast

Thread: Quiz (Read the rules or don't enter) (reward included)

Default Re: Quiz (Read the rules or don't enter) (reward included)

Okley dokley!

1) How long did the 1950-60's parts of Tiananmen Square take to be built under Chairman Mao?

2) When was Ovid's (Publius Ovidus Naso) brother born?

3) What was the only major battle in the American Civil War where the Confederacy outnumbered the Union disregarding 1st Bull Run?

4) What battle signed the death of the Swedish Empire and the birth of the Russian one?

5) Who was the Korean monarch who was the last to try save his/her country from Japan?

Cato the Younger's Avatar Semisalis

1) The Monument to the People's Heroes was built in a little less than six years
    2) March 20, 44 BC (same day, one year earlier)
    3) Battle of Pea Ridge
    4) Battle of Poltava
    5) King Kojong?

1) hmm...I sorta meant Tiananmen Square itself...
    2) Correct
    3) Don't think so
    4) Correct
    5) incorrect

I'm not sure which major action you want during the Civil War.

The Confederates outnumbered the Federals at the beginning of Gettysburg, they outnumbered them during the Battle of Cedar Mountain, after the Second Battle of Manassas, New Haven, Poison Spring, Monroe's Crossroads, Massard Prairie, and of course, Pea Ridge.

I know that most of those aren't major engagements, however, so I'll have to stick with either Gettysburg or Cedar Mountain.
    Last edited by Cato the Younger; April 03, 2007 at 06:44 AM.

I should be more specific in Qu 1) 1950's-1960's part I meant during the Great Leap Forward

for qu3) I mean overall not just at the start...I'm still not sure whether Cedar Mountain is as important as the one I'm thinking of...I'm not sure though...

What an ass, how could I forget Chickamauga?

1) Not sure.
    2) March 20, 44 BC (same day, one year earlier)
    3) Battle of Chickamauga
    4) Battle of Poltava
    5) Queen Min?

Yay! U got it but the last one...that's a bit hard....I'll give it one more day if noone gets it u'll win...

Ok Cato WINS!
    It in fact took only 2 years.

Sorry about being sluggish; the last few days have been extremely busy for me. Anyway, here we go!

1) Who was in charge of the largest American Civil War bombardment, and at which battle did it happen?

2) What is the largest of the ancient Indus Valley cities and is considered one of the most important early cities of South Asia?

3) What was the name of the center of worship in viking Sweden until the late 11th century?

4) Which battle secured Peruvian independence, and who was in command?
    Last edited by Cato the Younger; April 07, 2007 at 09:36 PM.

1) I have no idea...
    2) Mohenjo-daro???
    3)Uppsala (Gamla Uppsala)
    4) Sucre in the Battle of Ayacucho

aja5191's Avatar TWC Bearcat

Wouldn't #1 be the shelling of Ft. Sumter?

However, I unfortunately don't know the commander of the attack...

Quote Originally Posted by Cato the Younger View Post
    1) Who was in charge of the largest American Civil War bombardment, and at which battle did it happen?
    I'm gonna throw in Gettysburg and Pickett.

2) What is the largest of the ancient Indus Valley cities and is considered one of the most important early cities of South Asia?
    Google tells me it's Harappa.

3) What was the name of the center of worship in viking Sweden until the late 11th century?
    Uppsala

Sucre(thought of Bolivar but wikipedia provde me wrong ) and battle of Ayacucho

#2 I believe the answer should be Mohenjo Daro. I believe Harappa was slightly smaller.
    Former Historian & Dev Member for Broken Crescent Mod
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989
    Member of the World History Association
    Member of the Medieval Academy of America
    Member of the Richard III Society
    Member of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and Latin East
    If you like my post, please +Rep...if you dislike my post, please +REP me twice

it was when poland charged the german blitzcraig or the famous "charge of the light brigaid"

- It was, in fact, Gettysburg. In charge of the massive, two-hour bombardment, which consisted of approximately 170 guns, was (then) Colonel E. Porter Alexander, who was also effectively in charge of the entire Confederate artillery.

- Mohenjo Daro was one of the world's first cities and is located in modern-day Pakistan (Sindh province); - Harappa is actually smaller.

- Gamla Uppsala (or simply Uppsala) was, quite obviously, the main center of worship in viking Sweden. Adam of Bremen called it the "center of heathenism."

- Ayacucho was the last Spanish-held province by Spain; - Antonio Jose de Sucre was, in fact, in command of the nationalist troops and it is a common misconception that Simon Bolivar led the army. Sucre was Bolivar's lieutenant, and subsequently was the second president of Bolivia and the sixth president of Peru.

The way I see it, both Ippius and Perkele got three out of four. I'm not sure who I should give it to. I'll give both of you rep, but you should work it out amongst yourselves who asks the next set of questions. Good job, everyone!
    Last edited by Cato the Younger; April 12, 2007 at 09:14 PM.

Perkele should go. He hasn't had a turn yet.

Okay, let's see what I can come up with...

1)Which nation was the first to produce submachineguns for widespread use and when(naming the war is enough)?

2)Which nation produced the most submachineguns during WWII and how many was that(in millions)?

3)During the Somme offensive of 1916 10 guns fired one million rounds during a period of 12 hours. What guns were these?

4)Name the sniper with most kills.

5)What kind of weapon did that sniper use?

Spart's Avatar Senator

1)Not quite sure about the "widespread use", but perhaps Italy. And the war was WW1.

2)USSR, and the number.. 6-8 million is my wild quess. (although they made a lot of PPsh's so the number could be too small.)

3) Vickers machine guns.

4)Simo Häyhä (couldn't resist, eh? )

5) M28-30 ("Pystykorva").

Meh, at least I got 2 correct..
    Last edited by Spart; April 15, 2007 at 01:21 PM.
    Member of S.I.N
    Finns to the rescue!

How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.
    -Søren Kierkegaard

Good enough for me. Although number one 1 is Germany. Unfortunately for them when the submachineguns came to the troops the final offensive was already over and the war doomed. And Also I think it was about 5 million ppshs. But as I said, good enough and it's your turn now.

Spart's Avatar Senator

Sweet. Now, some fairly easy questions.

1)What effective plane became known as Germany's "jack of all trades" during WW2?

2)What was the name given to Hitler's operation to invade Soviet Union, and why was this particular name chosen?

3) Who was the first European known to land in the New World, and who before him was the first one to actually sight it?
    Member of S.I.N
    Finns to the rescue!

How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.
    -Søren Kierkegaard