Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need Help URGENTLY!

Icon3 I Need Help URGENTLY!

I am playing a campaign I started recently as England in M/M right now and I got to this point: I am ally of France, and they have two stacks (one is 1/3 and the other 1/4) on Caen, near the Castle. I have a full stack army ready for ambush and some archers and spearmen in Caen Castle (about 400). What do I do? Atttack France, who has no allies, or leave them be?:hmmm:
    "God forbid that I should go to any Heaven where there are no horses" - R.B. Cunningham-Graham

Default Re: I Need Help URGENTLY!

Depends on your relationship with the Pope. Attacking France will make him mad at you. If you let France attack you, then he'll tell them to stop...maybe. That also depends on how close the Pope is to France.

You might also try getting HRE or some other faction, Spain/Portugal, to attack France to distract them, but....if you are playing v1.1, France will definately still attack you. So start building a large army and counterstrike as quickly as possible.
    "It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one." ~George Washington

I am not playing v1.1 and my relations with the pope are the same as france's: medium. I have Germany on my side, but how do I get them to attack france? I have about 4k florins, if it helps
    "God forbid that I should go to any Heaven where there are no horses" - R.B. Cunningham-Graham

Hotspur's Avatar I've got reach.
    Patrician

Grease'em. The best way would be to maneuver your full stack army so that you fight France's two armies one at a time and defeat them in detail. Prevent France from getting a full stack army. Then you have to go on the offensive and maintain the initiative. If you can't hold a city, sack it, destroy all the buildings and move on.

Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the dogs of war!

Backstabbing an ally is bad news. While France may have no other allies, attacking an ally tanks your reputation, and you're likely to find the pope responds in kind by harshly rebuking you. Inform the French that the alliance is cancelled with a diplomat and then wait a couple turns. They may attack you, instead. If not, at least it won't look like you're attacking an ally.

Sacc's Avatar Tiro

Germany???
    Pentium C2Q 9550 OC'd at 3.4, nvidia 780i, 6gb ddr2 800 ram, EVGA 260 core216, OCZ 700 psu, Samsung 22"

I feel tempted to attack them, but I will not risk it. Hotspur's idea is good, but I'm not sure. Perhaps if I get Germany on my side first... Won't cancelling an alliance lower my reputation?

Centenarius

You should attack them but also finnish them.And you should try not to get in conflict with scotland until france is on her knees.And dont mind the reputation,once you have a strong empire no faction will care about your reputation.Reputation in M2TW is a waste of time.Strike them all but also finnish them.

I am allied with Scotland, Germany, France and Milan, but France is threatening me, and I wish not war yet. What do I do to avoid this cold war?

Centenarius

But if i were you.I would finnish the scots first,unite britain,and instead of attacking france i would attack the danish north,at their castle,then go to stockholm,and then to their capital.

I have to get rid of the French, and I need a better economy for that. The army upkeep is huge!

EDIT: Is there any way to reduce the army upkeep of units?

Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sigilus View Post
    I have to get rid of the French, and I need a better economy for that. The army upkeep is huge!

EDIT: Is there any way to reduce the army upkeep of units?
    You should have more cities than castles.1 castle and 10 cities,2 castles and 20 cities.Thats my strategy.And it works very good.

ScottishAdam's Avatar Tiro

leave them alone. Your ally has its army outside its own city and you want to attack them?????
    definately not

I don't know if i am misunderstanding you here..... you did say "I am ally of France"
    Last edited by ScottishAdam; January 26, 2007 at 12:46 PM.

Hotspur's Avatar I've got reach.
    Patrician

If you are playing unmodded, your rep doesn't mean anything. You can be the backstaber or the backstabed, but your alliance with France is already over if they are positioning armies around Caen. Ignore Scotland for now and concentrate on the immediate threat. Remember that you don't have to conquer France - if you weaken them enough, neighboring powers will decide they might like a taste and nibble on them too. Lord knows it happened enough to me.

If you want better and more worthwhile diplomacy along with smarter ai and a more enjoyable game then try LTC. When you cancel an allience your rep won't take a dive. BUT if you backstab without canceling alliance then it will. It makes haveing a rep more worthwhile then if you have a good rep then your allies will actually AID you in your struggle against a country.

"Is there any way to reduce the army upkeep of units."
    Yes. You will have to some modding. I'm at work right now, but I think that it is in the descr_units folder. Go to the modding forums and search for the answer. I'm sure that it's been discussed quite a bit over there.

But that is not really a good fix for your problem. If you are playing vanillia, then everyone is correct. Reputation means nothing. Alliances mean nothing. You will be attacked, with no provocation, by every single one of your "allies" sometime during this campaign. Even if you try to keep your reputation as "trustworthy."

My suggestion is to go download a mod. I use Lusted's LTC 2.1, but I've heard great things about the Long Road mod and several others. The mod will fix diplomacy so that you won't have stupid allies attacking you every few turns.
    "It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one." ~George Washington

Icon3 Re: I Need Help URGENTLY!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishAdam View Post
    leave them alone. Your ally has its army outside its own city and you want to attack them?????
    definately not

I don't know if i am misunderstanding you here..... you did say "I am ally of France"
    My "ally" has his armies at my castle's gates.

Oh, and thanks, everyone! I worked it out of a peaceful way: I gave 1000 florins to the French, one of the armies that war near my castle turned to rebels and we fought them, English and French, side by side! lol
    Now I think I may have trouble with the Danes, if their quick enough to go down to Antwerp. I have now Rennes, Bruges and Caen on France. I have York, Wales, Dublin, London and Nottingham on the Islands. I will make an attempt to assemble a good army to blitzkrieg the Scottish (I'm sorry, I like them too, but I have to). My relations with French is Amiable or Good, the HRE too and Milan is above Amiable.

I am playing a campaign I started recently as England in M/M right now and I got to this point: I am ally of France, and they have two stacks (one is 1/3 and the other 1/4) on Caen, near the Castle. I have a full stack army ready for ambush and some archers and spearmen in Caen Castle (about 400). What do I do? Atttack France, who has no allies, or leave them be?:hmmm:
    attacck when you have the chance

Icon3 Re: I Need Help URGENTLY!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Septim IV View Post
    attacck when you have the chance
    If you read my last post, you'd understand that that isn't my problem anymore.

if a small country or a big coountry doesn't have any allies then go ahead and wipe them off the map. simple. Oh and make sure they're not favored by the pope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast