Thread: Dale attacking the dwarves?

Default Dale attacking the dwarves?

I recently started playing FATW, and I love it! As a Tolkien-enthusiast and EBII player I was very happy to find out the depth of EB could be married with my favorite fantasy world.

I have a question though: Dale and the Dwarves should be locked in an 'unbreakable' alliance like Rohan and RK, but in every campaign I started thusfar (I tried like 20 turns of every faction to get a feel and select one I would like) Dale attacks the Dwarven settlement in the Iron Hills! Is this a bug? I haven't found other people complaining about it so could it be that a re-install would fix it?

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Dale attacking the dwarves?

That is strange, I've never heard of that particular scenario (attacking the iron hills). What difficulty are you playing on?

I can have a look at your save file if you upload it here (zip it first).

Attached one of the savegames where it happened. Playing as Dorwinion and thinking to be smart by allying with both the Dwarves and Dale so I could focus on North Rhun and later Rovanion didn't pan out as expected when Dale declared war on the Dwarves. I played on medium/medium difficulty here. I now play a medium/hard campaign with Tharbad and Dale and the Dwarves are still allied.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	traitors!.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	362900

And a screenshot of those treacherous Dale-men.

Quote Originally Posted by Duco91 View Post
    I recently started playing FATW, and I love it! As a Tolkien-enthusiast and EBII player I was very happy to find out the depth of EB could be married with my favorite fantasy world.

I have a question though: Dale and the Dwarves should be locked in an 'unbreakable' alliance like Rohan and RK, but in every campaign I started thusfar (I tried like 20 turns of every faction to get a feel and select one I would like) Dale attacks the Dwarven settlement in the Iron Hills! Is this a bug? I haven't found other people complaining about it so could it be that a re-install would fix it?
    It's not a bug, unfortunately, just standard RTW AI behaviour. This (almost) always happens when Dorwinion cuts Dale off from North Rhűn and thus, from the only enemy faction that it shares a border with. Sometimes Dale will attack other factions instead (if so, usually the one controlled by the human player, which is not a coincidence ), but since the Dwarves are closest, it's almost always them.
    The only time this doesn't happen is if you play Dwarves, because the Dwarven campaign has been specifically designed to prevent this from happening. The downside is that Dale in the Dwarven campaign cannot expand on its own and has to be gifted provinces by the human player.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Even so, I've never seen them attack the Iron Hills, specifically. It's usually at Erebor that the mehcanic breaks.

I have, but the attack on Erebor might be more common. Hard to say because usually I only look there after the message pops up. My guess is it depends on the garrison strength of the province.