Thread: Unspecified error and game crash with a new map.

Default Unspecified error and game crash with a new map.

I wanted to make a campain map with only greece, turkey, middle east and egypt areas.
    So in order to do this i cutted this area on spurius's big map for all needed files that are in "base" folder, plus the disasters.tga and the radar map files.
    I edited spurius's descr_strat, descr_regions imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlements_names etc...
    I got some problems of regions names, i changed them.
    I got some problems of map_climates dimensions, i changed it to correct value.
    My map_regions dimensions are 211*187 or something like that and i entered this in descr_terrain.txt
    My descr_start only contains byzantium and slave faction. I kept faction leader and faction heir for byzantium.
    I delete map.rmw each time i relaunch the mod with a new modification.
    Now the game crashes when i start the campain with byzantium. All seem correct and there is nothing in logs.txt exepted the "unspecified error" message.

Can anyone help me ?
    Last edited by GuNz; January 24, 2007 at 08:32 AM.

Default Re: Unspecified error and game crash with a new map.

Did you erase or alter any of the existing provinces (from vanilla). For instance, get rid of Province_London or rename it Province_Bolivia. If you do that, you have to be very careful because there are other files (namely mercenaries and campaign text files) that also refer to the vanilla provinces and this will cause a CTD or other problems.

Yes I have deleted all the provinces that are not in my map_regions from descr_strat descr_regions imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names regions_and_settlement_names_lookup etc...

I also changed the coords of events and armies placements that have X > 213 and Y > 197.
    But the game crash again.
    Maybe its a ressources problem. I have the ressources names belonging to each region in descr_regions but I have deleted all ressources placements in descr_strat. I'll try to delete the ressources names from descr_regions :hmmm:

Or maybe the problem comes from map_radar1, map_radar2 and disasters.tga. Because i followed a rtw mapping tutorial but the size proportions between these 3 files and map_regions are not the same in m2tw than in rtw.

If anyone has an idea... please post

It's a bit unclear if you are trying to run in the base folder or in a modwitched mod, but:

If it conks out without any message, it usually means it cannot find a rgb value mentioned in the regions textfile on the regionsmap, or some other problem with an non-existing region.

From your description it's also not clear if you tossed away your map.rwm.

My advice is not to go change everything in one go and then hit the gaspedal, but take them one at a time, and check each time. Tedious, but the only way to fly.

You changed a whole load of thing in one go, and each and every one of them can go hideously wrong, let alone together.

I launch it with a proper mod directory.
    All rgb values are correct. All regions names and colors are correct. but I will reverify all again.
    Thanks for your advice, I didnt changed many things at one time but sometimes in think I've changed 2 or 3 things in one time.
    I'll try the ressources hypotesis. Or maybe a water_surface cut not properly made.
    Changes in campaign script are important ? I deleted mongols and timurids invasions, aztecs freezing, and all faction starting script exept for byzantium.

Yeah, I did something like this, but I eventually gave up and am trying again. Some of the dimensions form the RTW resizing tutorial are different, and these can often be confusing. Does everything have to be proportional to the map_regions file? The water_surface is also pretty tough to understand, but I believe I resized it properly...

Icon11 Re: Unspecified error and game crash with a new map.

Problem solved, thanks for your help.

@Goatbuster: water_surface doesn't seems to need to be resizing proportionnally to map_regions.tga . I cutted it like a pig and the new map works.

Did you leave it as it was, without resizing to the original size of 256 by 256?
    Sorry, but I'm still a little confused...

Hey GuNz, how did you solve your problem, as I'm experiencing a similar one.

I've been using Big Map Labyrinth (which is really useful, and worked fine unmodified) as a base.

For me though the game doesn't crash. I click on the start button, it waits for a second then sends me back to the main menu. I then quit and look at my error log and see that it has some settlement creation error or other.

@Goatbuster: I cutted in water surface more or less the same part as i did in other tga files. You dont need to resize it. Water surface is only used for the radar map, where it is superposed with radar_map1 (or radar_map2 when you zoom) and a map_regions.tga which seems to be autoresized and auto recolored with factions colors by the game.

@Islamir lord: After a hundred changes, I saw that I have forgotten a region in my descr_regions.txt. This region was present in the map_regions.tga witrh his proper rvb color but not referred in the descr_regions.txt (shame on me )
    For your problem, post here the content of your log file. Without it I cant help you, there are so many error messages

Will do. I'm certain that all my region entries are done, though I'll check all my RGB values again.

My error log looks like this (I think the reference to the region Pakhai Chal can be ignored, as I know what causes that error and have fixed it for other settlements):

Code:
    08:56:11.640 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    08:56:11.640 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Dec  5 2006 version development ===
    08:56:11.734 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    08:56:11.796 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    08:56:11.890 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    08:56:12.000 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    08:56:12.078 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    08:56:12.093 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    08:56:47.296 [script.err] [error] Script Error in BigMapLabyrinth/data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 33, column 1
    Couldn't find region name 'Pakhai_Chal' in stringtable
    08:56:48.937 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    I also used to get a could not create settlement error (line 67 or so) which has mysteriously vanished now.

Perheaps u wrote "Pakhai_Chal" in descr_regions and "Pakhai Chal" in another file, like imperial_campaign_regions_and_setllment_names.txt in data\text folder or even descr_start.txt , or maybe u forgot to add it in. Check all your references to "Pakhai" with the research tool and verify all are correct.

Cheers GuNz, that's cleared it up . I've still got some different errors, but I'm working through 'em as we speak.