Thread: squalor unballanced?

cudakite's Avatar Centenarius

Default squalor unballanced?

greeting Lusted,

I was playing your mod the other day and I noticed It was much harder to keep the populations happy. I was wondering if this was due to the longer build times. In vanilla Med2 I'm sure the rate at which a population became unhappy was designed as part of a balanced ratio to which buildings could be built to counter the unrest. Have the new build times thrown this ratio off?

CLICKY

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Re: squalor unballanced?

Well the effect of squalor has been increased in my mod so yes populations do become unhappier in my mod if public happiness buildings are not built.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

It seems public happiness buildings are all you have time to build, one after another, to try to avoid rebellion. Populations seem to get pissed faster than you can make buildings to keep up with them. ...I don't know, maybe I'm just a cry baby =)

CLICKY

Preparation is the key. If you plan on crusading then make sure you have plenty of religious figures following the army and make sure you sack or exterminate. Build the religious and happy buildings as quickly as possible.

I do find it harder than vanilla but it's not significant unless you intend on conquering the other end of the map.

You can't blitz with this mod - prepare your armies in advance and you'll find it easier.

good points. I think part of it is my tendency to want to be continually attacking something. (thanks to vanilla) I need to slow my pace down. also I should probably exterminate more often. I know religious unrest has been increased and thats not what my issue is. that can be dealt with.

hmm Related Question. have population growth rated been adjusted to account for the changed turns to years? in other words is the population growing twice as fast as it did?

CLICKY

If you are having problems holding a city it is:
    Too far away
    The wrong religion
    Infested with spies

If you have handled those three factors well you shouldn't have much trouble.
    Map guru
    RTR Fan

STOP CREEPING BIGGERISM

I exterminate every settlement I capture, unless it was something I'd held for a long time and only recently lost (and then I still sack the city). I also execute all prisoners and rebels I find, which results in my governors have very high levels of dread in a fairly short time. With such a terrified populace, I have few troubles with rebellions.

Baseball is the highest cultural achievement of human civilization.

yup, it's harder, not alot but harder, after several campaigns, globally, no complain but there's smth i'd say:
    _the building time is abit long and the population growth pretty fast, so we don't have enough time to build unti-squalor buildings
    _take too much time to upgrade your building to train new troops, so the AI use too much early troops, their army almost compose of spear milita, town milita,..., hardly seen any elite troops there
    _the AI campaign still pretty the same, alot af allies but there's nothing like collaboration between allies, just the same vanilla "all eyes on me"
    _maybe it's not true but it did seem to me that the AI troops break faster
    _____________________________________________________________________________

Turbo's Avatar Civitate

The squalor does need to be cranked back. The easiest solution is to increase the happiness and law bonuses in the building.txt file. Try adding bonuses to the walls only since adding more in other buildings influences the AI's choice in building them.
    Work of God

Uandwhosearmy's Avatar Miles

Where are you guys running into problems with squalor? I used to have a problem with vanilla, but in LTC the happiness penalty seems to be lower and the growth penalty instead seems to be higher with regards to squalor. If I'm not getting this right, please correct me.

Turbo's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Uandwhosearmy View Post
    Where are you guys running into problems with squalor? I used to have a problem with vanilla, but in LTC the happiness penalty seems to be lower and the growth penalty instead seems to be higher with regards to squalor. If I'm not getting this right, please correct me.
    Lusted himself has said that he increased the squalor effects.
    Work of God

a bit out of the subject, Lusted said he'd not leave but i don't think that's him, any idea ?
    _____________________________________________________________________________

It is me and im not leaving, the site is now in the control of the community and Ogres Net are letting go of it.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

Quote Originally Posted by Uandwhosearmy View Post
    Lusted,

first of all it's great to hear everything got sorted out here at twcenter. Now secondly, referring to my previous post above, how have the effects of squalor been changed? I seem to remember that the effects on public order were lower in LTC 1.21 compared to vanilla but that the effects on population growth was increased (i.e. high squalor = small increase in unhappiness + big reduction in pop. growth). Have I got this wrong? I couldn't find anything on squalor in the list of modifications.

The max value for squalor has been increased, and its effects increased slightly.
    Creator of:

Ok then. Thanks for clearing that up!

OK so what I'm asking is-

Does squalor/unrest increase at a rate faster than the time it takes to build buildings to counter it? I don't want to HAVE to exterminate the population of every city I take. I don't want every general/mayor to have dread.

In Rome it seemed that when a population grew very large the only choice you had was to let the city rebel and then retake it and exterminate. I really hope to avoid that cycle in this mod. it shouldn't be nearly impossible to maintain a happy populace no matter how big the city grows.

CLICKY