Thread: Sieges, walls and rams

Sonny WiFiHr's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Sieges, walls and rams

Many people complain about walls to strong. In my opinion def value of gates, walls and tower could be lower and att value of tower little higher.
    I'm fine with this setting (much harder to take castle ).Gates are problem:- too much time to breaktrough (def walue should be half of present).
    I start with old descr_walls and I find that is too much easy to enter the city and I quit play.Now I enjoy sieging because it's hard and I need to plan my attack if I want to take city in one turn (special siege army with artillery).No more blic .
    Sieges should last longer (perhaps 2x present time).
    I'm sieging Jerusalem against full stack of archers spears some HA and Cav (general with five stars).I have 3 catapults etc.(full stack army lots of crusaders).If I dont breach 1st time i will attack again and again and again (or I could attack with lesser army and wait them to come out).

Default Re: Sieges, walls and rams

I'm afraid I for one completely disagree with you here. The walled defenses need higher stats in my honest opinion. It's too easy to ram a gate or flatten a wall with a balista/treb and it's totally inaccurate. I'm reading Agincourt at the moment and it talks in length about seiges. There's no way a trebuchet or something like that could flatten a walled castle within two or three hits! It would take them days or weeks in some cases!

By the way are you using Lusted's new improved descr_walls file?

No I'm using LTC 2.0 (200 hits of ram on the wooden gates)

gate short_wooden
    {
    full_health 600
    height 10.0 ; TODO -
    pursuit_lockout_radius 80.0
    blocked_lockout_radius 70.0
    }

gate medium_wooden
    {
    full_health 850
    height 10.0 ; TODO -
    pursuit_lockout_radius 80.0
    blocked_lockout_radius 70.0
    }
    etc.

level 1
    siege_tower_size small

wall
    {
    full_health 550
    battle_stats flammability_medium impact_damage_high
    localised_name wall
    }

gateway
    {
    full_health 800
    battle_stats flammability_medium impact_damage_high
    localised_name gateway
    projectile_impacts_all_hit_gate
    medium_wooden
    medium_reinforced
    medium_iron
    }
    Last edited by Sonny WiFiHr; January 22, 2007 at 01:12 PM.

ah I see well he changed it and uploaded it to the site - I have a copy here if you want it.

No thx.I was English sieged by HRE.HRE got 3 balista 1 catapult and they destroy my walls totaly (5 or 6 breaches and all towers on stone wall) in the matter of minutes.In this patch walls are too underpowered (paper walls).You can use 1 balista and break the stone wall ? No way . I will keep orginal LTC 2.0 rather then fix

AlCord's Avatar Semisalis

Well, compare the two files and change the attributes to a level betweent the two files.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

The descr_walls.txt file in 2.1 will feature stronger walls and gates than normal M2Tw, but nowhere enar the levels of the one in 2.0 as they are too high.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

ENSAIS's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    The descr_walls.txt file in 2.1 will feature stronger walls and gates than normal M2Tw, but nowhere enar the levels of the one in 2.0 as they are too high.
    Glad to hear it. I was a bit surprised my first time I had a ballista completely run out of ammo after only damaging part of a wall 40%... in theory it would require 3 of em to break thru in 1 area... given that they cost like 2.5k each, they really would not be worth it.

But LTC is definitely better than "paper" walls.

Currently using barraks skins as well. Nice eye candy, nice battle play.

On a completely separate note, I am wondering if there is a way to mod that WE can approach foreign princesses to marry them to our family members? Currently it appears to only be an option when actually being approached by said princess (you cant just send an emissary her way...). Also would not mind being able to court foreing hotties for more than just my heir and leader. How about them other family members?

ENSAIS

"The descr_walls.txt file in 2.1 will feature stronger walls and gates than normal M2Tw, but nowhere enar the levels of the one in 2.0 as they are too high."

How does this effect the AI when it is trying to seige?

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

How does this effect the AI when it is trying to seige?
    it just knocks less holes in walls.

On a completely separate note, I am wondering if there is a way to mod that WE can approach foreign princesses to marry them to our family members? Currently it appears to only be an option when actually being approached by said princess (you cant just send an emissary her way...). Also would not mind being able to court foreing hotties for more than just my heir and leader. How about them other family members?
    You can approach a foreign princess with your diplomat and ask her to marry your heir.

I do not think it is possible to allow a princess to marry anyone apart from your heir.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    I do not think it is possible to allow a princess to marry anyone apart from your heir.
    My poor third born...will he ever find his one true love??
    "It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one." ~George Washington

NoRbAk's Avatar Civis

OMG

Why do people try to breach walls with ballistas?

And why on earth they try to break gates with trebuchets and catapults?

Oh you brutes... no surprise you like medieval age!

Ram for gates, catapults and trebuchets for walls (don't expect laser-guided precision), and ballistas for units.

Now why don't you try hunting pigeons with bombards and complain about a bug?
    Join the dark side!
    Help me test M2TW darthmod! Msg me! You can be a betatester too!

- NoRb4K - Darthmod betatesting team (;-P)

ENSAIS's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by NoRbAk View Post
    OMG

Why do people try to breach walls with ballistas?

And why on earth they try to break gates with trebuchets and catapults?

Oh you brutes... no surprise you like medieval age!

Ram for gates, catapults and trebuchets for walls (don't expect laser-guided precision), and ballistas for units.

Now why don't you try hunting pigeons with bombards and complain about a bug?
    I DIDNT complain about a bug... but I hunt pigeons with bombards for the same reason I shoot squirrels with a twelve guage... it is FUN! Not exactly medieval. But fun.

This is joke ?
    I start this topic to determine strenght of walls, gates, towers.Not for tactics or historical events.Because some people like blic sieges some people like(meee ) long chalenge sieges (I just build 6 trebuchets).