Thread: Phillip II Duke of Milan

Default Phillip II Duke of Milan

Dear all,
    After playing this mod (which is outstanding I must say). When I've arrived to the year 1540 and in that year Charles the V gave to his son Phillip II the control of Milan because the Duke of Milan died without descendants. Therefore, I'm wondering is the game have any option to get Milan without conquering.

Thanks,

Wikipedia said this:
    After the death on November 1st 1535 of Francis II, the last Sforza, the Duchy of Milan was left without a sovereign. The kings of France, related to the Visconti family, claimed the duchy. This was one of the causes of the successive Italian wars. Francis I saw in the death of the Duke of Milan a new opportunity to take over the territory, causing a third war against Charles I of Spain, which ended with the Nice Truce in 1538.

In 1540 the duchy was still without a sovereign, being in charge of a governor. At first, Charles I himself thought of appointing himself a duke, since Milan was a feudatory state of the Holy Roman Empire and the emperor had the power to grant the title. But this could be considered a casus belli in France, and furthermore, it would damage his image as a liberator and not a conqueror. So he decided to grant the title to Prince Philip. On October 11, 1540, Philip was invested as Duke of Milan. The ceremony was secret and the princes-electors were not consulted in order to avoid international problems.

In 1542 a new war broke out between France and Spain. Among the conditions of the Peace of Crépy, which ended the hostilities in 1544, was the marriage of Charles, Duke of Orleans and son of Francis I, to Charles I's daughter, Mary of Habsburg (and the Netherlands and Franche-Comté as a dowry), or to the daughter of the Roman King Ferdinand, Anne of Habsburg (and Milan as a dowry). The choice was Milan, but in 1545 the death of the Duke of Orleans rendered the agreements invalid. Again in secret, Prince Philip was invested as duke on July 5, 1546. In 1550 Philip's appointment was finally made public and on 10 February of the same year Ferrante Gonzaga, governor of Milan, swore an oath of allegiance to him in his own name and that of the city.

Aneirin's Avatar of flowing verse

Default Re: Phillip II Duke of Milan

Hey there!
    Many thanks for playing this mod and have fun playing it!

As for your question, first of all thanks for sharing your idea
    Though I am afraid that the game does not have any kind of script or event to get Milan by not conquering it.
    Proud son of Aikanár and brother of Iskar