Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helpful Information about Roma Surrectum

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default Helpful Information about Roma Surrectum

I'm starting this thread just to give players some general information about this mod, and the various built in issues you'll have to deal with. Also, where to find more information about it.

First, when you've installed Roma Surrectum, there will be a new folder in you 'rtw\data' folder called

_IMPORTANT_STUFF

I intend to put tings in this folder (including the readme_first.txt) that will provide you with some basic information, and offer some options.

Probably the most important folder there will be called 'AOR_Maps'. In that folder you'll find various graphical pictures of the Mundus (Imperial Campaign) map....the IceTorque one isn't done yet....that will show you where factions start, what Areas of Recruitment limit them, and where they are. For reasons of clarity, they are shown on different pictures of the same map so as not to be too confusing.

Aside from the various AOR's that limit where a faction can build troops, one of the most important ones is the one you see named: Mundus_Faction_start.gif

Every faction in Roma Surrectum is controlled by some kind of AOR, or in this case, what I'm talking about is an 'Economic Area of Income'. Economic bonuses in Roma Surrectum are the greatest for each faction in the regions with which they start. There are no bonuses anywhere else, with the single exception of Seleucid. The reason Seleucid is excluded is because they hold most of the area they would be retricted to anyway...the 'ARAB' AOR for recruitment. So they are penalized with lesser bonuses, while other factions recieve larger bonuses in their starting territories.

The reason for this is first to control rampant money coming in as you gain new regions. I'm sure it'll have to be adjusted as more people play this and report issues, but it's meant also to offer a more realistic experience for the player in trying to build an Empire. It costs money to do this, and RTW usually gave way more money than any real nation would've ever had. Another reason for this 'EAI' is to slow down factions to some degree, and reduce the amount of armies they can field. Again, this will probably need more adjustment, but the theory and method is in place to fine tune a faction's income so they're expansion is more realistic....or perhaps, non-existant. The result of this has been that diplomacy has changed a lot in RS. Factions want trade rights and information more than war. They may even plead with you not to attack them, and seem more willing to ally with you than in the past. Obviously, with little money, nations turn to diplomacy to get it, more than war...which they cannot afford.

Now, you may get a significant amount of money per turn.....but you'll soon find that what may have been a lot in other mods is not all that much in this one. Buildings are far more costly....doubled, tripled even quadruple what they cost before....and build times are longer and more realistic. Part of the goal here is to delay the Marian Reforms, and I've chosen to do that by making the player pay for it. It'll cost well over 100000 denarii just to build the necessary buildings to even SEE the Imperial Legions. Then you'll find they're no bargain either. Depending on where they are...near Italy or way over in Alexandria...it'll could cost 2200-4100 denarii per unit.

Why so much? Well, no unit is really 'cheap' in RS, but the Legions in particular...once you start building them, are not just a bunch of units you throw together and mix and match with everything else you can recruit. These 35 Legions, with auxilia, mechanical weaponry, missile troops and cavalry, will be the ONLY armies Rome has. The goal here is play history....and Rome controlled it's Empire, and the known world, with these 35 armies that were spread out around the Empire. So the house rule of Roma Surrectum is that you don't have two or three of the same Legion....only ONE of each. You may of course have auxilia units, town watch and a few other units to do guard duty in your towns and cities, and the 'Urban Cohorts' will be available in large capitol cities. Also, the last thing you'll be able to recruit as the Romans will be the 'Praetorian Guard'. The House Rule here is that they are commanded by 'Praetorian Prefects', and historically there were only two. So two Generals command two Praetorian Legions...and you guessed it, they cost a crapload of money. But a Praetorian Legion will destroy ANYTHING. So they're worth it.

You'll find that other factions will be handcuffed by the same economic problem of raising armies, and the goal here is to limit stack after stack of armies all over the map, even though there is mostly '0' turn recruitment.
    Last edited by dvk901; March 09, 2007 at 01:18 PM.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Default Re: Helpful Information about Roma Surrectum

You've made me a little nervous it sounds like this is going to severly slowdown gameplay.

hi you said 35 legions?
    for the roman empire is that 4200 per legion?
    which a 1st cohort is doubled 490+ 490= 980
    a corhort is 490 is this correct?

Also will some buidlings be more or less because of resorces on hand?

Wooden fences should still be less right?

What else can we recruit for units ? Out of the the main starting cities?
    I do see the main elites should only be in starting citiys!

Will most capitials have its walls?

I see your points to be real! but hopefully less than 100,000 ?

Most of my time in modds iam trainning and fighting off rebles and other factions that attack. Are you saying our faction that we play will have a time of peace so we can build?

Will gaining lands and citys give the resorces to carry on a campaign ?
    as in war also pillage?

just few questions, but i see the idea, and it sounds good if i unbderstand it.
    I think.

thks

Excellent sounding this be.

I have a question for you, are there any plans in place in order to make sure rival factions capitals have a decent garrison? How about a modified version of the garrison script?
    I hate to see a faction I'm at war with leaving their capitol near defensless...

Also, the problem of A.I. generals not staying with their armies and roaming about either by themselves or barely protected. Are there any ways you have to lessen this?

And one more thing...
    Have you seen E.B's modified explanation of command star ratings (when you move your cursor over the general's stars)?
    Reads a whole lot better than the old vanilla 'this man is awful' nonsense, when he has 1 or 2 stars it will say something like,
    'this man has some experience commanding troops'... lots better.
    How about doing something like this?

The Mod is looking and sounding great b.t.w. .
    I look forward to its release.
    A Mod for Med2 Kingdoms:

THERA:REDUX

Click here:
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/thera-redux

a cohort is 480... and the first cohort isnt quite double, it's 800 this sounds interesting.... but....will the Romans have a "roman archer auxilia" unit ( so i can get archers in italy, gaul etc) or will i be forced to hire a million mercs?

They get archer auxiliae

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by CrayonVonCaesar View Post
    Excellent sounding this be.

I have a question for you, are there any plans in place in order to make sure rival factions capitals have a decent garrison? How about a modified version of the garrison script?
    I hate to see a faction I'm at war with leaving their capitol near defensless...

Also, the problem of A.I. generals not staying with their armies and roaming about either by themselves or barely protected. Are there any ways you have to lessen this?

And one more thing...
    Have you seen E.B's modified explanation of command star ratings (when you move your cursor over the general's stars)?
    Reads a whole lot better than the old vanilla 'this man is awful' nonsense, when he has 1 or 2 stars it will say something like,
    'this man has some experience commanding troops'... lots better.
    How about doing something like this?

The Mod is looking and sounding great b.t.w. .
    I look forward to its release.
    These are issues that, since Roma Surrectum is really in it's infancy, would have to be considered. I have a very small team...a couple skinners, a historian, couple beta testers and myself.....and our talents are limited but growing. We'll be making a lot of improvements for Version 2 once this is out and we get more feedback.

Right now, I can't figure out how to get a script to even work with the stupid advisor...so that tells you how much I know about scripts!

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos32 View Post
    You've made me a little nervous it sounds like this is going to severly slowdown gameplay.
    As far as my tests have been, gameplay seems to be fine. If you are neighbors with a faction, obviously, they and you can produce all your units in your own territories.....so, with '0' turn recruitment, they and you can produce as much as the money will allow. In one of my longer campaigns playing as Rome, where I got into the 250's BC....I had a string of constant full stack battles with Gaul right at the passes leading into their territories that lasted for perhaps 4-5 years (or least, it seemed like forever!). But I think they were getting ready to betray me...and had armies prepared for invasion. They finally ran dry and I went in with two Republican Legions and took their capitol and Massilia.

So I wouldn't worry about being bored.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

hi
    DVK
    when you get a min can you answer my post above.?

Also in future did you look at the helmets on the site
    hellenic art.com

They have two excellant helms one called the Thess. date 200 b.c.
    ( fits this time period.
    And the other is athans which is older but fits the historal aspect
    The attic also.
    if you decide to change a few things as you go on.

Also look at the helmets around 200 b.c. and newer they are not bad maybe a mix of units?

I also saw another Modd site called Rise of Rome.
    its on the modd list, The Desiger said he was planning to join you
    and also advertizes this site.
    check it out.

Iam sure others will join you this is outstanding so far
    thanks

Last edited by swhunter; January 23, 2007 at 11:39 AM.

i play with "big" not "normal","small", or "HUGE" unit numbers.
    how much ppl will i get?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by swhunter View Post
    hi you said 35 legions?
    for the roman empire is that 4200 per legion?
    which a 1st cohort is doubled 490+ 490= 980
    a corhort is 490 is this correct?

Also will some buidlings be more or less because of resorces on hand?

Wooden fences should still be less right?

What else can we recruit for units ? Out of the the main starting cities?
    I do see the main elites should only be in starting citiys!

Will most capitials have its walls?

I see your points to be real! but hopefully less than 100,000 ?

Most of my time in modds iam trainning and fighting off rebles and other factions that attack. Are you saying our faction that we play will have a time of peace so we can build?

Will gaining lands and citys give the resorces to carry on a campaign ?
    as in war also pillage?

just few questions, but i see the idea, and it sounds good if i unbderstand it.
    I think.

thks
    Yes, 35 legions. But they are located in ten different places, so you won't see them all at first. The closest one's to Italy will be Mediolanium and Patavium.

They can only be recruited in the RED areas.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

I still didnt understand the whole concept ,but i dont want you to explain,ima find out myself soon hopefully

From what I understand in a certain region once your city is good enough you can recruit an entire legion thats the simplified version I would assume.

Patrician

iN A NUTSHELL, THAT'S IT.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Try and be more simple next time .

Patrician

I can't win.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

THere seem to be three sets of Roman areas on the map, those shaded in red, those with red outlines and red towns, and red outlines and black towns... could you explain these, please? (i assume the totally red ones are the legionary recruitment areas...)

Patrician

The Red and Blue areas are the only ones that mean anything on this map. They show the 'Military Base' AOR's and the 'steppes' (Sarmatian) AOR.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

So, have you coded so that it's impossible to get more than one type of each legion, or is that just the suggested way to play?

Patrician

It is what we call 'The House Rule'. But you can recruit a hundred of them if you can afford to.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast