Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unclear on How to Apply Darth's Mods? Read here:

Default Unclear on How to Apply Darth's Mods? Read here:

Greetings New User,

Mod Background

The Total War series is a highly modifiable game. There is an executable, art files, sound files, texture files, etc and then there are data files that have many parameters (which can all be changed and tweaked which is what Darth and others do) that can be customized.

In the original installation all of these text files are packed into an encrypted format and are not visible. The modders have used the unpacker program to extract the core game files they need to access in order to effect their own personal mods. That is why you will not see these files from a fresh install of the game.

The M2TW application is capable of using the vanilla original files in the packed, or unpacked format, or by entering a switch in the command line telling it what directory path (like DarthMod's \data) to use instead of original game files. The application compiles the included directory and your custom files and is smart enough to know which vanilla files to use. Each time you launch the application (with or without) all of the data files and resources are compiled into memory and the game will only run properly if all required files are there.

This means that to make a major mod you would only need to make changes to two or three files, put them in the M2TW directory and create a batch file or enter the included path name each time you launch the application. Your files will be included and anything not included in your custom directory will be used from the original game files. It works, it's smart, it's the right way to make a game available to a strong modding community.

I hope that helps you understand what actually happens and why so many mods include different versions of common files like \data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt.

How You Can Keep Your M2TW Running Without Uninstalling & Reinstalling

I recommend you use ShellShock's MedManager program to manage your mods. If you use this tool you can create custom mods, use common mods like Darth or GrandViz's Ultimate AI without tampering with your default game files.

You can download it here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68328

Please take the time to read the instructions on installing it that ShellShock has provided. They are detailed and comprehensive and include how to install a mod.

If you want to combine multiple mods, instead of overwriting all mods on top your existing game files, you can create a new, empty mod template and systematically update the new directory with each mod's files. I do this to create what I think is the best combination of vanilla fixes, enhancements and combat modelling mods available (Darth's, GrandViz's Ultimate AI, Orientis's Vice's and Virtues and Ancillaries fix). These all work together under one mod to provide the ideal, stable, most robust experience I've found with M2TW.

As an example, however, let's look at Darth's mods.

What Does Lord Vader Mean With All His Files with Different Names?

DarthMod Lite is an all encompassing update that includes an installer (to install you just run the installer and follow the directions he has included). It is made to be "standalone" (not requiring anything else). To keep this standalone mod up to date you should download anything he posts under "Open Source" and extract it then copy the contents of the "Open Source" update to the Darth Lite mod folder.

He currently has the following files and verions

1. DarthMod_M2TW_Lite_Version_1.3

2. Darth Formations M2TW Version 2.6

3. Darth DiplomacyCampaign War AI pack version 2.0

This is where things can become confusing, as Darth isn't always clear in English as to what version belongs to where and what should be done with it. (Although he may feel differently, I could hardly provide good descriptions and contextual information in Greek).

For the very current update path (assuming you are using Med Manager as I recommend), you want to download and install to a non-M2TW directory. Such as D:\darthmods\. You will then want to download and extract Darth Formations and Darth Diplomacy. These will be unencrypted and copied over the files in the D:\darthmods\ folder. Once you have completed this, the files in the \darthmods\ directory will be up to date. You can then copy them in their entirety from D:\darthmods\.. (all files and folders) to the Med Manager folder you created for Darth's Mods. You will overwrite all files you are copying over.

I personally play with every file Darth has ever released overwritten by every update he has ever released. This follows the train of thought that I then have every file Darth has modified with his changes and some minor mistake on his part will not result in a mismatch of versions or in strange errors. I noticed this on going from 1.0 and 1.1 Lite versions that unintentional bugs were occuring that he did not know about. When I installed version 1.0 and then 1.1 on top of that, the problems went away. He did not, however, distribute the two together, nor did he recommend people install each version.

If you are new to DarthMods or aren't sure how to update everything, then I recommend you download the link below. Once you have downloaded and installed MedManager you can follow ShellShock's instructions and create an empty template. You can then copy the unencrypted contents of the DarthModVault to that directory and launch the game. See below:

The zip file will create a folder named "DarthModVault-JAN22-2007" with another folder named "DarthModVault-JAN22-2007" inside of it (Sorry about that). Explore to that directory and copy the two files inside "Copy these files to your vanilla data folder" to your vanilla data folder. There shouldn't be anything in there to overwrite as those files are packed inside one of the vanilla game resource packs.

Then copy the \preferences, \packs, \custom, \data folders and paste them into the Mod folder you created for this in Med Manager. That's it. Create a shortcut in Med Manager for the new mod and use that shortcut to launch the game. You will see the latest Darth version as 1.3 Lite and your game is good to go with the all the latest versions of (and prexisting files needed to run) Darth's mods.

The vault currently has:

Lite 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3
    Open Source 8, 9 and 10
    Darth Formations through 2.6
    Darth Diplomacy 2.0

I hope this helps clear up confusion on what's going on and how to go about successfully implementing a mod in M2TW.

Yours,

coman
    Last edited by coman; January 22, 2007 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Added the link to the darthmodvault file

Average British Student

Default Re: Unclear on How to Apply Darth's Mods? Read here:

Thanks for the post - Sticked

NoRbAk's Avatar Civis

Wow this was useful!

Thanks!
    Join the dark side!
    Help me test M2TW darthmod! Msg me! You can be a betatester too!

- NoRb4K - Darthmod betatesting team (;-P)

Norbak,

I've actually found that version control mismatches cause most of the really odd problems I've seen and nearly every CTD. This is true for all versions of TW and their respective mods.

I would be very interested in eliminating these kinds of needless distractions from a mod's lifecycle. This could be done any number of ways; releasing an entire directory, scanning for differences before releasing a mod, source code controlling all files, etc.

I actually found some more discrepancies between releases so I've removed the link until Darth releases another version. If I can help, let me know.

coman

NoRbAk's Avatar Civis

Well it does get confusing when Darth releases a lite version, then an open source, then a 2.6 war pack... etc

If you know what you are doing, maybe you could put it all together and mantain an updated link where people can just download + install and it's all in there.

I have no idea how to put all the versions in a .exe ... I'm a big fan of history books, total war games, Darth vader... but have no programming formation (I'm just one more !!?@@@##### lawyer LOL!)

But we're just at 1.3 now... you'll see how DMM2 8.1 will be the best mod around... muhahahhahha!!!!!

TY
    Join the dark side!
    Help me test M2TW darthmod! Msg me! You can be a betatester too!

- NoRb4K - Darthmod betatesting team (;-P)

The best thing we can do is get a copy of all of his changed files once. Then I can apply each of the patches and sort through them. I can also volunteer the time to changelog the files and version control them.

I'm a pro at this stuff and the bugs in 1.1 to 1.2 were almost all cleared up simply by adding his first release to the root and installing 1.1 and 1.2 on top.

Darth can also work from a fresh install and copy over his changes as he goes; really just two choices - release the extreme minimum required or release everything.

coman

So if we want everything, we install DarthLite first, then formations, then diplomacy? Is this correct?

I love Darth, but with all these fragmentary releases, things are rapidly becoming a real clusterf#@%

Well he is trying to change that.

Currently all you need is the Lite 1.3B.

I have been under the impression that in order to use all of Darth's files, all you need is Darth Lite 1.0 + 1.1 + latest Open Source (1.1 came out before the 1st open source, I think). I'm currently using 1.0+1.1+1.3+latest OS. I didn't bother getting 1.3B because I assumed the latest OS included it, and I only installed 1.3 to get the wallpapers that replaced the horrible original. Is there any difference between 1.3B and the 1/23 open source other than the installer? It used to be easy to check, but now that Darth started using installers, you can't simply open it and compare the files before you install.

@A**monkey3443,

You can still do the same thing, just install to a new, non-game folder and explore, examine.

I would recommend you copy the 1.3B to a folder then copy it's contents over a new copy of your existing mod folder.

coman

i installed 1.3b and every battle that i play,
    the opening formation is cavalry infront of infantry,
    and then the enemy just charges his cavalry into my infantry.
    every time.

Not sure how this ended up in this thread.

By the way Darth is currently at:

Darth Mod Lite 1.3B base mod + Open Source 13 + Darth Formations 3.5

To play the latest version of DarthMod:

If you have DarthMod Lite 1.3B simply download the OS13 and extract over the directory. Then download and repeat the same process for Darth Formations 3.5.

If you do not have DarthMod Lite download 1.3B (the latest Lite version has an installer) and then Open Source 13 named "OS13.zip" and extract over the 1.3B \data directory. Then download and repeat the same process for Darth Formations 3.5.

coman
    Last edited by coman; January 28, 2007 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coman View Post
    Not sure how this ended up in this thread.

By the way Darth is currently at:

Darth Mod Lite 1.3B base mod + Open Source 13 + Darth Formations 3.5

To play the latest version of DarthMod:

If you have DarthMod Lite 1.3B simply download the OS13 and extract over the directory. Then download and repeat the same process for Darth Formations 3.5.

If you do not have DarthMod Lite download 1.3B (the latest Lite version has an installer) and then Open Source 13 named "OS13.zip" and extract over the 1.3B \data directory. Then download and repeat the same process for Darth Formations 3.5.

coman
    I don't think that's necessary. I just compared all the files in Darth Formations 3.5 to the same files in OS 13 and they're the same, other than the Darth Formations readme. So OS13 should suffice.

Current version:

Darth Mod 1.3B + OS14.zip - should be save game friendly

aaaah, I don't understand, when I unzip the OS14 I have 3 files inside, data, Darthmod and bat. What shall i do with them?

You have DM 1.3B installed?
    If yes you just copy all these to for example C:\games\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\... to ovewrite the previous.

Simple copy/paste job

The \data folder is copied to your root game data directory which contains a packed file with all the game vanilla files. If you place the two arrow files in this directory it will use THOSE for every single game you load.

The Darthmod\ folder is the encapsulated mod folder. Inside are many mod files, but the ones that are specific to Darth's mod. Just as you have the WinningCombo\ folder. The bat file is to launch the mod directly without using something like MedManager, which I endorse and recommend to all users.

coman

I really want to use Darthmod, but to be honest, even your directions for installing are vague to people like me who do not know much about programming.

This is how I understand it atm with EVERY step included (whereas your directions skip around).

1. DL 1.3 Lite
    2. Unzip 1.3
    3. Install 1.3 to temp folder
    3. DL formations and extract to ... what folder in temp folder? <<<--
    4. Same as above for diplomacy <<<--
    5. DL OS current and extract to... where (do I need to find the previous OS and extract them too???) <<<--

Finally, I will use MedManager to use that updated folder to create a playable mod.

Could you please explain the steps with <<<--

Thanks

P.S. When I try to extract Diplomacy, Formations, and OS15 to the temp folder, they just appear as new folders and don't overwrite the orginal files. I have to manually copy/paste each folder INSIDE of those folders to the temp folder in order for it to work.

"The zip file will create a folder named "DarthModVault-JAN22-2007" with another folder named "DarthModVault-JAN22-2007" inside of it (Sorry about that). Explore to that directory and copy the two files inside "Copy these files to your vanilla data folder" to your vanilla data folder. There shouldn't be anything in there to overwrite as those files are packed inside one of the vanilla game resource packs."

What does the above mean? When I unzipped it said nothing about DarthModvault. Copy two files to vanilla folders? Wtf is this really? Its driving me nuts and I have no idea how any mainstream gamer could get this damn thing to work.

EDIT : Thanks to Darth Vader and TTC for responding in such a timely manner. I get frustrated with having to mess around with specific folders. BTW Darth Vader, are both formations and diplomacy now included in 1.3C? Thanks.
    Last edited by Borluc; February 05, 2007 at 10:50 PM.

-Open the installation package(After you unzip it in TW center mirror zip mode)
    -Manually browse the installer to install it where you have your main game directory like this for example:
    C:\program files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War
    and not:
    C:\program files\SEGA\Medieval II\data = wrong
    -You will have now a Launch_DarthMod.bat in your main game directory which you will use/double click each time to play DarthMod(If you want fix your own shortcut for it in your desktop but the installer will create one for you automatically if you want)
    -Play!

These are my instructions...
    I do not know anything about DarthModvault...
    I cannot make it simplier sorry.

As for OS and formations etc.

You get these files and copy them in the same structure I provide to your "DarthMod" folder in for example ...\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\DarthMod which was created by my 1.3B installation package.

The DarthFormations is more generic in structure (Only in a "data" file) to be used in many mods by custom placing.

Generally you extract the files somewhere and manually copy/paste to ovewrite the original.

To enhance DarthMod, inside "DarthMod" folder there is a data file to put these in.

Just see that the structure of files I provide is identical and do a simple copy/paste windows procedure.
    No programming language culture required.

paleeagle's Avatar Civis

OK the problem I have is that I downloaded the mod manager and after initially working it wouldnt work anymore, I tried reinstalling it and re downloading it but would never start.

So my question is that with out manager how do you install darth mod.

At the mo I believe I am playing darth mod how is is intended but i just want to make sure that I am not missing anything.

I backed up my MIITW folder and named it "Copy of" then I unpack and install all the darth mods into the normal MIITW folder. Then when all that is done I click on the darthmod launcher and that is it correct?

I ask this as in the original DATA folder in Vanilla there are only folders, whereas darth mod has many single files (campdesc AIdiplomacy etc.)aswell as the vanilla folders. Am i getting the most out of darthmod? have I installed it correct? or should these files be somewhere else.

Sorry if all this sounds simple but i dont have any experience with modding and I just want to make sure I am getting everything I can out of this mod.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast