Thread: Historical Recruitment

Default Historical Recruitment

This might have already been covered, but is there any possibility of someone making a mod based on historical recruitment patterns, rather than the demands of gameplay based on a building hierarchy and resource availability, all of which is anti-historical?

Epic Recruitment goes some way towards it https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...10&searchtext= by making all units available on the basic barracks, though unfortunately it reimposes hierarchy by giving the next tier of barracks massive combat bonuses, and the next even more. That choice means that there is effectively 1st, 2nd and 3rd class versions of each unit. Epic Recruitment also doesn’t include naval units.

A Red Sea and A Red Land https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...text=A+red+sea and https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=325668410&searchtext=A+red+sea have also gone some way towards historically accurate recruitment, but have pulled the punch by not including everything that should be included at the primary level, such as Triarii, and have left the resource demands in place.

I do know that DEI have pushed historical recruitment forward, but unfortunately to get it means you have to play DEI with all the associated complications.

What I would love to see is a mod that makes all the army and naval units in each historical era available right at the start for every faction, with no resource limitations, such as Roman Principes Quadriremes having to have the wood resource. And to make it perfect it would also remove all fantasy units, from War Dogs to Velites Quinqueremes.

For me one of the frustrations associated with the Rome II mods is that all the great work that has been done with expanded unit rosters, including so many interesting and historically accurate units, gets lost because the units have to be built towards rather than just given to me. That means a lot of the time I never get there because it involves far too many managerial choices. The character and the variety of the armies and navies I field is massively diminished by this. And what is true for me is true ten times over for the AI. The quality and variety of their armies and navies is never what it should be. To me, this all seems such a waste.
    Last edited by Canterbury; November 02, 2019 at 01:20 AM.

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

Default Re: Historical Recruitment

I think the problem is that you could theoretically spam all the high tier units at the start, while historically you would have a lot of variety. Medieval II did this best in my opinion with its recruitment pool system, the only way that you could make such a thing in Rome II is by adding a global campaign cap on certain units (which will work horribly for shared units like Picked Hoplites for example if you ask me), or by modifying the recruitment times so that let's say a Picked Hoplite unit needs 4 turns to build while a Militia Hoplite unit will need only 1.

Edit: Theoretically you could work around that by creating copies of all units so that they can be used f.e. by the civil war counterparts (if you go with the cap solution) so that they are not affected by your own recruitment
    Last edited by Gyrosmeister; October 03, 2020 at 04:12 PM.