Thread: Suggestion: include the system to change factions from Roma Surrectum II

Default Suggestion: include the system to change factions from Roma Surrectum II

Hi! I have been playing for a while Ruina Romae and I can say that is one of the best mods made for RTW. However, it has its limitations due to the restrictions of the original game being, at least for me, the main one the limited number of factions and the second one the absence of the British islands (this last one I suppose is because there aren´t any faction playable that historically had expanded in there.)

So having this in mind, I think it would be a good solution for this limitation problem to use the system of Rome Surrectum II which allows you to play with several minor factions replacing the Spartan faction for one of them in the player's campaing. And which faction will play this "replace's role" in Ruina Romae? Personally I think it would be the Slavs, and respect the minor factions that could be included there are several interesting options:

-Saxons
    -Romano-Britons
    -Celts (Scots and Picts)
    -Gokturks
    -Gupta empire
    -Maximus'empire or Hispano-Roman's rebels
    -Vendel's Sweden
    -Iberia-Georgia (Caucassus kingdom)
    -Sabirs
    -Etc.
    Last edited by Rampante-Cid; October 13, 2019 at 05:47 AM.

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Suggestion: include the system to change factions from Roma Surrectum II

Honestley, I have never played RSII sofar and do not know how they did this.
    It sound like they used the sub-factions of the Rebel faction ....

Nevertheless this would be a new mod variant, especially due to units.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Default Re: Suggestion: include the system to change factions from Roma Surrectum II

Just like in said in the RR release thread I think it's more worthwhile to devote your time into developing Restitutor Orbis. Ruina Romae is fine as it is in terms of factions, it provides a different experience in regards to the other IB mods - at least that's the way I see it. Only when and if the other IB mods are done trough and through, Restitutor Orbis and Imperium Constantini, only then, if the modders wish so and are willing so, would be worth it to implement a system akin to that of Roma Surrectum. At least, that's my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by _TotalWar_ View Post
    Just like in said in the RR release thread I think it's more worthwhile to devote your time into developing Restitutor Orbis. Ruina Romae is fine as it is in terms of factions, it provides a different experience in regards to the other IB mods - at least that's the way I see it. Only when and if the other IB mods are done trough and through, Restitutor Orbis and Imperium Constantini, only then, if the modders wish so and are willing so, would be worth it to implement a system akin to that of Roma Surrectum. At least, that's my 2 cents.
    For the last post that I have read RO is also nearly to be finished (at least a first version) so maybe they could check this option too? Not at this moment but maybe for the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    Honestley, I have never played RSII sofar and do not know how they did this.
    It sound like they used the sub-factions of the Rebel faction ....

Nevertheless this would be a new mod variant, especially due to units.
    If I'm not wrong they created a program (using cmd, .bat or something) that changes the faction files depending on which faction you want to play before the game launches. That way, they have files for each faction and the program switch them. Nice and fast system I think, but of course more coding since you would have more files do edit. But of course it allows more faction do be played, and that's nice.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Nelduin View Post
    If I'm not wrong they created a program (using cmd, .bat or something) that changes the faction files depending on which faction you want to play before the game launches. That way, they have files for each faction and the program switch them. Nice and fast system I think, but of course more coding since you would have more files do edit. But of course it allows more faction do be played, and that's nice.
    I may be wrong but as I am not the most technical type but I understnad that what enabled them to create that system is the fact that RSII is not modfoldered which means each faction has its own campaing modfolder inside the main RTW folder. Their launcher enables you to chose which facton campaign you want to play before launching the game itself. If you want to change the faction you need to exit the game and relaunch new faction campaing. This system obviously needs a lot of space on hardisk because beside clean RTW copy for backup and for playing other (modfoldered) mods you need also space for the campaing of each faction as each campaing technically behaves as standalone modfoldered mod.

You are right, indeed!

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.