Thread: HELP! What's the easiest strategy to win the short campaign?

Tajir's Avatar Vicarius

Default HELP! What's the easiest strategy to win the short campaign?

Hello,

I started playing MTW2 yesterday, and I'm playing the short campaign so I can quickly unlock more factions.

Can anyone tell me the easiest and quickest way to do so?

-What's the best faction for the short campaign?
    -What should I do to 'destroy' the target factions?
    -More advice, please!

Default Re: HELP! What's the easiest strategy to win the short campaign?

I recommend spain, take out the moors first, then portugal.

Or, you can change your file to unlock all factions, or download any of the mods (which generally have all factions unlocked).

The quickest and easiest way, without cheating is simple...wasn't really a need for this post.

You start a short campaign on Easy/Easy, with whatever faction, it doesn't matter it's easy enough.
    You then blitzkrieg rebel cities, form your economy to support bigger armies while edge your empire towards your target faction in which you must destroy.

For example England, kill Scotland/France. Rush Rennes/Brugges/Antwerp/York. You now have 4 Cities in Europe and 3 in England. Caen and Nottingham must become good cities asap to build better troops.
    Secure your cities in Europe, 4+ garrisons? (it's on easy so maybe less) then march on Wales/Ireland. You now have a total of 9 provinces. Nice economy!!

Form up at York, forget France for now, just make sure they can't take your Europe cities.
    March on Scotland and take them out within 2 turns, so use 2 armies. This will seriously dent your rep with the Pope but you won't get excommunicated if your swift, unless the Pope already hates you.

Excommunication is much of a problem, the next part is....

Scotland = dead
    Your empire = 11 Provinces

Next step: muster all forces to Europe and Blitzkrieg France...

Paris/Toulouse/Angers/Marseille/Rheims...extra cities will most likely be Bordeaux and Dijon. Maybe convert one city from your 4 original ones in Europe to a castle to help the campaign.

You now have killed France and have 15 Provinces, voila.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahir View Post
    -What should I do to 'destroy' the target factions?
    Either take all their settlements or eliminate all their family members (through battles, assassinations or marriage).
    You can check how many settlements they have on the faction rankings scroll (second button in on the Overviews pane).
    Try to get trade agreements and alliances with all other factions of the same religion except your target nations (refuse their offers of same) and block their trade routes to suppress their economy (blockade ports and roads to their towns) while you build up tour military might.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon
    wasn't really a need for this post
    Wasn't really a need for that comment. Everyone needs a little help now and again, no matter how obvious it might seem to others.
    Let them hate me, provided they respect my conduct. - Tiberius Caesar

Makes me wonder though......:wstupid:

Hex Khan's Avatar Oooooh Yeeeaah!!

Best short campaign faction? England by far, just march and army north past york maul scotland's only city, continue on unifying the british island then focus south on france, make alliances with the hre and spain to hem france and destroy quickly, hate to say it quicker you move easier it becomes, blitz wins but lacks challenge
    Historical Reenactor and Proud of it
    Winner of Best AAR Writer Award 2007

Tajir's Avatar Vicarius

Oh, I see this thread ain't going too well...:hmmm:

Anyway, the only reason I had trouble was that the game looked strange compared to the last TW game I played, which had the old Shogun/Medieval 1 engine.

I've finally gotten near beating the short game; I'm playing as France, I've just moved into the English island, ignoring Crusades and other meaningless missions. I'm now moving in on the first Scottish town, after entirely eliminating the weakened and battered English.

The Scots, despite seeing how easily I crushed the English, offered me Map Information; and before that, I didn't even realize they were on the MAP!!

Stupid idiot Scots, gotta hand it to their idiot move, now I'm winning the game, I've blockaded their capital city and I'm only about ten provinces away from winning the campaign!

Spain or England. England is well rounded and has no opposition early on. Spain has just uber religion (the first time I played Spain, within the first 50 turns I had way over half the cardinals and the pope making it virtually impossible to be excommunicated and allowing me to expand freely without getting excommunicated) and also good trade.

Laetus

I won my first game with France. There are so many rebels around you that you're able to get about 10 provinces just killing rebels. Then you invade England and try to take it swiftly. Be sure to complete all the Pope's requests to keep him content, so he won't excommunicate you.
    When you have united France and conquered the rebels around you and have England/Ireland I usually go to war with Portugal and get their province in the Pyrannean mountains. Then I probably have around 20 provinces and victory is mine.
    Warning. Poster is a Viking nationalist :hmmm:

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    Makes me wonder though......:wstupid:
    REALLY no need for that one either...

I did mine with Spain, but if you put it on Easy/Easy like Demon said, it really doesn't matter who you use. I would recommend Spain or Venice though since they can both easily attack non-catholic factions so you don't need to worry about excommunication.