Thread: i love the mod, but there seem to be some issues

Kaosbouncer's Avatar Libertus

Default i love the mod, but there seem to be some issues

let me start by saying that I think this mod should be a required download for anyone and everyone that owns this game . the map, shaba wangy's diplomacy, and other fixes add so much to the game experience. and i know that it's still a beta, but there's some problems that I would like to adress in case nobody else has (i play 0.9 because some of the stories from the 0.91 beta testers scared me off from that one but you can bet that i'll be downloading 1.0 ASAP

now, the first few things that i noticed when i started my Casa de Jimenez-Borgonha campaign were the increase in prices and construction times for the buildings and decrease in population growth. It took a little while to get used to this, and I actually never got used to the increased building time, so with my limited modding skills i changed them back to normal. i know, i know, it's not historical, but i just couldn't stand it.

after getting used to the population growth rebalance, i grew to appreciate it. it was a little frustrating that i couldn't get any of the better military units because i couldn't egt a castle past fortress, but i think that it's a novel change. if anything, you may have decreased it a bit too much. i love historical accuracy, but when it starts to interfere qith gameplay i think it's a bit unnescesary. if i knew how to, i would mod my own AD to increase the popultion growth just so, as i find that some towns, especially those without ports, simply do NOT grow at all.

Now here's the big issue. it seems that the population growth decrease applies only to me. i build any and every farm and trade upgrade available whenever possible. land clearance, roads, ports, markets, merchant wharf, all of it. i'll give you an example of the problem. when I started playing basilea ton romaon, Corinth didn't manage to upgrade to a large town untill 1115 AD. later, during my House of Normandy-Anjou campaign, i put in a toggle_fow in 1109 AD just to see how everybody was doing, what the AI was conquering, ect. and then i found that Corinth, owned by the byzantine empire, was already a minor city and it didn't even have roads or land clearence from what i could see.

the problem persisted. as i started carving into France, i found that Paris already had enough population to become a large city and Angers to become a citadel while to the north in my island London was still a large town and we had villages like Exeter (i converted all of the castles in the island itself except for Durham and one of those welsh towns... the soutern one, which i renamed Cardiff) were still villages which hadn't grown at all because they had no trade, seeing as they were villages. they all had land clearance, which was the only building i could build, but that didn't help at all. by the time i went to war with Scotland, Edinburgh was the biggest city in the island with a population around 18000 while London had barely grown to 10000. i did another toggle_fow and i saw that cities like Milan, Cordoba, Jerusalem and Venice had already hit large city and i struggled to find any settlements (other than rebel) which were smaller than large town. Meanwhile, Exeter was still a little village of 800.

i know. loooong topic. hope i didn't bore you. i don't know if you've already fixed this issue with 0.91 or 0.92, or if it''s something i'm doing wrong

Default Re: i love the mod, but there seem to be some issues

In 0.92 population growth has been increased (maybe too much, it's really hard to find the right setting) but in any case you should play AD with medium difficulty as with very hard the AI cheats (it's a CA hardcoded thing) both with money and with about all the other things. I guess that's the reason of your issues.

I suggest you to try 0.92, it seems pretty stable as it's been playtested for a bit without relevant issues. But AI is still very different from 0.9, with a completely different logic that you can read about in the 0.92 thread.
    Last edited by Re Berengario I; January 20, 2007 at 07:21 PM.

Default Re: i love the mod, but there seem to be some issues

Kaosbouncer can you please tell me where did you change the building times, please? I would like to play the mod with 1 turn= 1 year, cutting the build times and prices to the half. Thanks for any help.