Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: [SUBMOD] The Hellenic League

Default [SUBMOD] The Hellenic League

Download Link

Steam Link

Introduction

This mod was inspired by the Koinon Hellenon faction from the Rome: Total War mod, Europa Barbarorum. The “Alliance of the Hellenes” included Athens, Sparta, and Rhodes as an in-game representation of the 'Chremodian Alliance'. From the EB factions page:

“This selection has been chosen to represent the alliance formed by several poleis of Hellas prior to the outbreak of the Chremonidean War (c.266-260). The war is named after Chremonides, the Athenian statesman who formed the alliance in an effort to counter the threat of Makedonian hegemony.”

This alliance is now brought to Rome 2 via Divide et Impera. This mod is for those who love the Greek city-states; who dream of an Athenian-Spartan alliance repulsing Philip of Macedon; and who see the ascension of Alexander and Rome not as military inevitabilities, but historical incidences.

Overview

• New Faction: Hellenic League (Replaces Athens)
      • Cavalry & Marines from Athens
      • Hoplites from Sparta
      • Slingers from Rhodes
      • Archers from Crete

• New Faction Perks
      • Oracle of Delphi: Public Order bonus in settlements with Greek majority culture
      • Panhellenism: Diplo bonus with all Greek Factions

• New Government Types
      • Athenian Politeia: Infrustructure Focus
      • Spartan Monarchy: Martial Focus
      • Rhodian Oligarchy: Commercial Focus
      • Hellenic Empire: Bit of everything

Set-up

• Download a Diplomacy mod that forces AI into diplomatic actions. E.g. Cyanide's Easy Diplomacy.
    • Start a game as the Hellenic League (Athens)
    • Use your starting ship to discover Rhodes. Force Sparta and Rhodes into a confederation. (Optional: Add Crete into the confederation.) Declare war on Makedon. Form a NAP with Egypt, and ensure you are trading. Use your spy to discover Epirus. Have Egypt and Epirus declare war on Macedon. You declare war on Epirus too.
    • Save your game, exit Rome 2, and deactivate ‘Easy Diplomacy’ on your next start-up.

Compatibility
    Updated for 1.2.7b. Compatible with most mods. (I've incorporated the DEI Settler Mod, so don't use that in conjunction with this.)

Feel free to offer any suggestions. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Basilius; April 22, 2021 at 12:22 PM.

Default Re: [SUBMOD] The Hellenic League

Recommended Army Compositions, Strategy, Mods, and Guides

Army Composition - Professional Army

• 1x Spartiatai Hoplitai
    • 6x Hoplitai
    • 2x Korinthoi Thureophoroi
    • 1x Athenai Epibatoi
    • 2x Maedi Peltastai
    • 2x Kretai Toxotai
    • 1x Rhodioi Sphendonetai
    • 2x Sarissaphoroi
    • 2x Hippakontistai
    • 1x Athenai Hippeis
    • 1x Siege / Baggage Train (in place of Sphendonetai)

Army Composition - Garrison

• 4x Spearmen
    • 2x Psiloi
    • 2x Cavalry

Grand Strategy

• Hellas and Makadonia
      1. Hellas is the core of the Greeks and is the highest priority. You start with Athenai and Sparta; Knosses must be conquered and should be done quickly. If left alone the island will turtle with land and naval stacks, eventually attacking Atikka. The Island is the soft underbelly of Hellas and securing it is a top priority.
      2. Makadonia is the natural extension to Hellas and requires absorbing the Aetolian League and defeating Epirus & Makadon: two successor states. This is the most precarious part of the early game because of Epirus’ war with Rome. If Rome wins too early and pours into Apollonia, you’re in for a brutal game. (It may be worth restarting if this happens.) One option is to go for Epirus first to preempt Roman expansion and leave the Aetolians as a buffer against Makedon. However, this allows the Aetolian League to build up its forces and potentially strike at your back.
        While we start the game at war with Antigonidai, Thracian tribes preoccupy the empire and it often sues for peace. In the case where Thrace conquers Pella and you need to take it from them, get ready for prolonged wars. The barbarians of Romania will come pouring down into Greece, and you will spend several turns repulsing them and consolidating your territorial gains.

• Thrace and/or Asia
      1. Hellas and Makedonia are not enough of a base for an empire; you will need Thrace and/or Asia as well. Both provinces have pros and cons.
      2. Thrace is a nice roof to Greece and the Danube river is easily defendable. As your first 4-region province it produces a lot of food & cash, and may even become a military base given its size and access to excellent AOR units.
        One problem is that it’s not culturally Greek—meaning it must be Hellenized, which takes time. Further, you will incur the ire of northern barbarians who may raid your lands and need to be occasionally pacified. That said, Thrace is an excellent extension to your empire and should only be avoided when Rome claims it early-on.
      3. Asia is another nearby 4-region province that has the benefit of being Greek. Given that Rhodes and Nicomedia are essential strategic goals, control of Asia is a natural expansion. Plus, if the area is left alone, it tends to harass your eastern flank.
        The province’s big downfall is that it’s within the Seleucid orbit, with Lydia being a satrapy of the empire. It’s also a pain to defend, distracting you from your other goals. The player should be opportunistic: grabbing regions when conditions allow but avoiding wars in the East (if possible).

• Corfu, Rhodes, and Crete
      1. Once you’ve secured the land base for your empire, it’s time to branch out into the Mediterranean. Three points are essential: Corfu, Rhodes, and Crete must be defended from the sea. Plant a navy on each (or nearby).
      2. Corfu protects Apollonia from Roman invasion, acts as gatekeeper to the Adriatic Sea via the Strait of the Otranto, and allows for excursions into Apulia if needed.
      3. Rhodes and Crete form the underbelly of Greece and entrance into the Mare Aegaeum, and by extension the Black Sea.

• Nicomedia, the Bosporus, and the Aegean
      1. Nicomedia must be captured. Not only does it seal our control of the Aegean Sea (reducing piracy and potential for raiding) but the Bosphorus acts as a cork keeping the East out of the West (until you’re ready to come pouring in). The strait also gatekeeps the Black Sea: a terrifically important position.
        Once objectives 1 – 4 are achieved, you’ve established the core of your empire. These must not be lost; everything below is an imperial luxury. Spend several turns consolidating gains, positioning armies/navies at key defensive/strategic points, and building good relations with your neighbors. It’s also wise to turn one of your provinces into a military base.

• Cyprus and Sicily
      1. Now things get dangerous. Objective #5 puts you in the path of the Great Powers, and because of DEI’s weighted auto-roles and timed reforms, it’s likely these empires will be monsters by the time you start to wrestle with them. Decide if you should go after Cyprus or Sicily first, or even complete objectives 6 or 7 beforehand.
      2. Cyprus is the underbelly of Asia Minor and a launching pad for excursions into the Near East. You will infuriate the Seleucids and Egypt by capturing the island, as it threatens both Antioch and the Levant.
      3. Sicily is the centerpiece in the Phoenician and Latin war. By now it’s likely that Syrakousai has been conquered by either Carthage or Rome, or the island is partitioned. By taking it you risk warring one or both empires, but successfully fortifying the island keeps each power on its own half of the Mediterranean and provides a launching pad for you to invade either continent.
      4. With these islands under control, you bracket off the entire Eastern Mediterranean as your own. The Hellenic League becomes a Great Naval Power. All that’s left is land expansion to cement your victory.

Mods

Guides
    Last edited by Basilius; September 13, 2022 at 03:57 PM.

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Awesome!
    Would love to see some pics though!

Looks great, I hope to give this a good run this week!

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Well-done, Basilius!

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Seems great!

LewisVee's Avatar Semisalis

Brilliant. Well I’m with the release mate!

Thanks guys. Hope you enjoy.

One concern I have is how it compares with the Polis individually. Myself, I enjoy it more than Sparta and Rhodes.

Athens is tricky, however. Their "mercenary core" ability is so strong: it allows them to field excellent pop 3 armies late game that the Hellenic League doesn't have access to. While regulating population will always be a challenge for many factions, I'm hoping it's not too limiting in this case, and compensated with the League's superior roster.

Senator

The Hellenic League just makes more sense than three Greek mini factions on their way to world supremacy. The mercenary style for Athens is ok, as it gives diversity and mercenaries were used a lot, but not that realistic, as the city lacked the money to get to a status to get so much money to afford mercenaries on a huge scale.

The League approach is better. It spares you a bit the sometimes annoyingly difficult start to conquer your Greek fellows. So some disadvantages are deserved. And for my feeling some population restrictions fit well for a Greek faction. In addition, in TW games having a lot of very strong units available is a good way to boredom more sooner than later.

Centenarius

Great to see this made it into a submod here!

Great job Basilius!

Perfect timing too, my Massalia save broke not long ago so I'm ready to start a new long campaign.

Did you end up making any changes to the Athens emblem, or did you leave it stock?

Also - for some extra flavour (for those who want it), I have a Greek City Names submod that changes all the map names to Greek equivalents (link here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Mod&highlight= ).
    Last edited by Epanastatis; April 23, 2019 at 10:06 PM.

Great so far. My only tiny beefs are the lack of a 4 speed melee, like spartan youths or marines or something. Pelts just aren't the same. Also on hard difficulty at least I had a serious struggle fighting roman legions with hoplites as my core. No other pop 2/3 alternatives were sufficient.

I'd kill to find a good speed 4 melee to add to the roster. I'd be willing to add Spartan Youth's, but they're pop 1. If you're aware of an alternative unit, please let me know.

Thanks for the feedback vs Rome. It's not clear if that's a problem, and if it is, one with a solution. But I'm open to ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Basilius View Post
    I'd kill to find a good speed 4 melee to add to the roster. I'd be willing to add Spartan Youth's, but they're pop 1. If you're aware of an alternative unit, please let me know.

Thanks for the feedback vs Rome. It's not clear if that's a problem, and if it is, one with a solution. But I'm open to ideas.
    Spartan Youths are probably the best fit thematically. Perhaps remove perioki to make it less spartan dominated. So your choices are basically: spartan elite hoplites, athenian/rhodian regular hoplites, spartan youths (4 speed) or corinthian (jav but low morale) light hoplites. I think that's a good mix.

I'm not sure how to deal with rome either. Rome is meant to be OP, so... Plus I was playing on hard/hard - even levies will break my spartans unless I flank.

Overall, very happy with the mod. Its what I've always wanted from the greek core.

Also, fyi the way my campaign went down:

- I shattered macedon early and consolidated greece before rome moved in. Fully developed my military (tier 3 buildings, tier 3 military building)
    - Lack of elite population was a severe problem, I had to run mostly basic armies. I started to consider farming them in other areas and moving them to greece
    - syracuse pulled me into their war and I ended up sending an expeditionary force to protect Sicily and punish carthage. I sacked carthage, forced a peace, and left greeks in charge of the island. rome loves me.
    - galatians declared war on pergamon and I am moving to intervene, with an eye on turning on selucids if I get a chance

I'm on turn ~70 I think, so far so good.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 25, 2019 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

LewisVee's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Garbad View Post
    Great so far. My only tiny beefs are the lack of a 4 speed melee, like spartan youths or marines or something. Pelts just aren't the same. Also on hard difficulty at least I had a serious struggle fighting roman legions with hoplites as my core. No other pop 2/3 alternatives were sufficient.
    I've yet to fight Rome, but i imagine it should be difficult against the Legions, What tactics are you deploying if i may ask?

Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Garbad View Post
    Also, fyi the way my campaign went down:

- I shattered macedon early and consolidated greece before rome moved in. Fully developed my military (tier 3 buildings, tier 3 military building)
    - Lack of elite population was a severe problem, I had to run mostly basic armies. I started to consider farming them in other areas and moving them to greece
    - syracuse pulled me into their war and I ended up sending an expeditionary force to protect Sicily and punish carthage. I sacked carthage, forced a peace, and left greeks in charge of the island. rome loves me.
    - galatians declared war on pergamon and I am moving to intervene, with an eye on turning on selucids if I get a chance

I'm on turn ~70 I think, so far so good.
    Sounds like a really fun campaign so far.

I'm not sure how to deal with rome either. Rome is meant to be OP, so... Plus I was playing on hard/hard - even levies will break my spartans unless I flank.
    I typically play on normal battle difficulty, but did a short campaign as Athens on hard/hard and I found the best strat against Roman armies was to have a trash levy army engage, with your actual army as reinforcements.

Levy army composition looks like:

6 militia hoplites
    3 jav
    10 slings
    1 cav general (don't even use him, pull him back and wait for reinforcing army)

basically pop your militia hoplites in phalanx as bait. Put javs in front to hopefully cop the initial pila volley from the Romans. Swing your slings to the flanks and use them to take out any enemy cav or ranged (should be easy due to sheer number of slings). Once cav and ranged are done, concentrate slings on rear of Romans. You should get their health down enough to start inflicting casualties, but you'll also melt your militia hoplites and they'll break pretty quickly. Leave your slings on skirmisher mode so the romans have to run around to catch them (if you're good at macro, they won't because they're not fast enough). By now you should have your reinforcing army in and formed up. Pull slings back to this army to coax Romans into engaging again. They should be exhausted by now and already on low health, so from here the battle should be cheese easy.

This strat was pretty successful for me - it takes a big hit on your pop 3 since you almost need to replace the trash army after every battle, but it definitely protects your pop 1 & 2.

Hello, is it possible to use this mod via Steam?
    I am Balor.

About done with my Roma campaign. Does this require the Greek DLCs?

Quote Originally Posted by Balor View Post
    Hello, is it possible to use this mod via Steam?
    Yes, but you have to manually download it and put the files in the right folder.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast