Thread: The AI needs to be FORCED to build more than one siege tower during huge city sieges, otherwise it's glitches galore

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default The AI needs to be FORCED to build more than one siege tower during huge city sieges, otherwise it's glitches galore

I've had only a handful of sieges involving Roman huge cities that I've built and I've conquered Western & Eastern Greek huge cities, plus Semitic Carthage as a huge city. I often don't have any problems, but the last two major defensive sieges I've had with Roman huge cities crashed to the desktop and I've had to play them over again. It's clear what happens in each scenario: the AI's ram gets burned, so ALL the infantry rush to the one single siege tower they built. Whether the cavalry gets into the city with a second more successful battering ram is immaterial. Eventually, the infantry trying to get into the siege tower start glitching, with their flag banners disappearing in rapid flashes, a tell-tale sign of glitches. Then everything slows down to a creeping halt, getting progressively worse until the frame rate drops to 1 frame per 3 or even 5 seconds (!!!!!!).

Then the game crashes.

I've had to replay these sieges and if the first ram works, then there isn't much of a problem. However, since I have a lot of huge cities now that I've been playing for over 900 turns, and have a huge border to protect against the Lougiones in the north and Hayasdan in the east, this is bound to happen again. Is there some way you guys can force the AI to build more siege equipment? Or to not be retarded and rush all their infantry towards a single siege tower all at once?

Default Re: The AI needs to be FORCED to build more than one siege tower during huge city sieges, otherwise it's glitches galore

So nobody's going to respond? Really? Can I at least get some sort of hint that this is hard-coded and can't be addressed? It would be nice if someone would clarify that at least, instead of this embarrassingly awkward silence from the EBII team with tumbleweeds going by.

Default Re: The AI needs to be FORCED to build more than one siege tower during huge city sieges, otherwise it's glitches galore

Mate, you posted that yesterday and by reading, it seems that it would require some thinking about what is the problem and the people in the team also have a (busy) life, so don't expect an answer after one day.
    Still, it is weird what is happening to you, since sieges on huge cities are rare, I bet the team has never noticed it

CAI/BAI is z3n's realm, so he's more qualified to answer this, but I'm not sure it's possible to "force" the AI to build things. They have their given siege points, they use some sort of algorithm to tell them what they need to build and how to deploy it. I've no idea whether it can be influenced by the settlement size.

I figured it was something hard-coded that you couldn't properly address. If so that's a huge shame, because it kind of ruins my later stage of the campaign now that I have like two dozen cities at the huge level, a sizable chunk of them located along my contested borders with enemy factions. I guess the one saving grace is that for most players it won't even be an issue, because as Lusitanio says, it only affects a small amount of players who usually don't even go past turn 300.

It might only affect a small amount of players, but as I've said before, the people playing long are of greater interest to me. I'll ask z3n if there's anything we can do; problem is from a scripting perspective, I don't think there's any means to spawn siege equipment. Unless there's some way of doing it in battle scripting.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    It might only affect a small amount of players, but as I've said before, the people playing long are of greater interest to me. I'll ask z3n if there's anything we can do; problem is from a scripting perspective, I don't think there's any means to spawn siege equipment. Unless there's some way of doing it in battle scripting.
    Thank you very much for taking action on this issue. I hope z3n can come up with a scripted solution. That sounds really interesting, actually, to have spawned siege equipment. I certainly hope it works!

I kind of found a workaround for this. I basically wait to put my soldiers onto the walls right around the gatehouse until the enemy has already pushed the ram right up against the gate and has begun ramming it. Putting my soldiers onto the walls around the gatehouse afterwards doesn't allow enough time for oil to burn up the ram, so voila, the enemy basically enters every time now! I shouldn't have to worry about this, though. Nobody should, but it works at least.