Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: Nordic Union better alternative to EU?

  1. #21
    Diocle's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    More or less, where Desaix has fallen.
    Posts
    12,331

    Default Re: Nordic Union better alternative to EU?

    Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    You feel sad that state based on slavery failed to win?
    Actually being not my country I don't see any reason for which I should feel sad for what happened in North America more than 150 years ago. Instead, in some way, I feel sad for my country, Italy, which at the moment of its birth, more or less at the same time, preferred to adopt the model of a centralized authoritarian state, than chosing a Swiss confederal model of federation between free states, as suggested by Carlo Cattaneo.

    Today we have still the occasion to prevent the birth of a huge tyranny in the heart of our continent, today we can still chose other ways to build a civil and pacific convivence in Europe, this is the reason why I still hope that a confederative model of state will find its way into the minds of our politicians, if this is not possible, then I fully support any initiative aimed at destruction and overcoming of the monstrous nazi-communist beast known as European Union, so:
    Long life to Nordic Union and Death to UE!

  2. #22
    NosPortatArma's Avatar Biarchus
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Kingdom of Sweden
    Posts
    690

    Default Re: Nordic Union better alternative to EU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Army Cheese View Post
    Don't you guys already have a Kalmar Union (that exists within the EU), or did those guys break up?
    We do already have a nordic council yes, and some closer co-operation from that, apart from eu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    So what would be the common language of these nordic countries? swedish, norwegian and danish are mutually intelligible but finnish is its own language and icelandic is much more truer to ancient norse, to say nothing of english which is its own germanic language.
    English, since everyone can already speak it. And as you say, there is no other common language, and not even the north germanic languages are mutually intelligible enough.

    Secondly the values don't match. For instance, most nations are against rape but sweden is pro rape. How you gonna square that circle?
    I'll interpret that to mean that Sweden is much more aboard with multiculturalism and feminism etc than their nordic neighbors. This is true, but hopefully about to change. based on polls it's likely a conservative government, backed by the nationalists, will form after next election.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier and better turning this horrid nazi-communist 'Federation' of slaves, into a good, old 'Confederation' of free nation states, in which any nation is granted of its own culture, ethics, law system and historical identity, without any super-state(bank) imposing policies, values and fake-identity to a mass of serfs?
    For europe as a whole, confederation might be a solution, but for the nordic countries I think a federal union is possible, since they are more similar than european countries are.
    Make Sweden Lagom Again!

  3. #23
    NosPortatArma's Avatar Biarchus
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Kingdom of Sweden
    Posts
    690

    Default Re: Nordic Union better alternative to EU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    Finland btw isn't a part of the nordic races; it is its own culture and identity; the languages are different, as are the people.
    race and language isn't very relevant. Most similar country to Finland is probably estonia, but after that it's definitely Sweden. Finland doesn't share much with Hungary, despite the language (and genetics too I guess). So of course, every culture is different, but some have less differences between eachother, than to other cultures. Nordic countries is such a group.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    The EU still has some good functions, but due to its size it often fails to represent the members differing interests. As you stated correctly, the Nordic countries have some shared interest. Problem is though that almost half the voters would live in... Sweden.
    Not half, but about a 40% Finland, Denmark, and Norway are about 5 million each, and Sweden is 10 million. How much that would matter depends on how voting it done.. I wouldn't mind if every country got equal amount of votes, or some kind of electoral college system that favours smaller countries. Quite frankly as it is now, I'd gladly let any of my nordic neighbors run Sweden, than let swedes run it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    I get the feeling Finns would take offence at being compared to modern Sweden
    Yes probably, so don't compare it to modern sweden, because that era of leftist extremism will probably/hoepfully end after next election. Compare it to future and past sweden.

    Can you give us a good reason why sweden should lead this nordic union, just because it happens to be the most populous scandinavian country?
    see above reply to cookiegod. as I've said, I wouldn't mind being ruled by Finland right now actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    1) Language has a lot to do with it. Those of us able to speak Nordic languages, are able to adapt quickly and can start working in other countries without language classes or much of a language barrier in general. Which is one of the main points of multilateral collaboration.
    nordics just speak english with eachother anyways. danish, norwegian and swedish are not easily mutually intelligible for most people anymore. scanians can understand danish, and swedes close to the border (like me) can mostly understand standard norwegian. written language is easier than spoken.. So some people might be able to communicate in their natives tongues, but if it causes any problems at all they can switch to english at no cost, so finns are not in any way disadvantaged.

    My personal (admittedly subjective) experience is that there are far fewer Fins moving to Scandinavian countries and vice versa, than those Scandinavian countries do in between themselves. Almost all Fins I know hail from the Swedish minority there.
    afaik, the only noticable inter-scandinavian migration is finns moving to Sweden. Never heard of any such similar case between sweden, norway, or denmark.
    Make Sweden Lagom Again!

  4. #24
    Dr. Croccer's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    15,985

    Default Re: Nordic Union better alternative to EU?

    I've honestly reached the point where I'd prefer any alternative confederal form of Pan-European cooperation to the current direction the EU has been headed towards
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.





    Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

    C am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu brth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhthein buaile fs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an ird.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jrg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

    Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Trnen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Trnen sind denn nicht genug.''

    Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

  5. #25
    Exarch's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    20,600

    Default Re: Nordic Union better alternative to EU?

    Quote Originally Posted by NosPortatArma View Post

    English, since everyone can already speak it. And as you say, there is no other common language, and not even the north germanic languages are mutually intelligible enough.
    I have a better idea; make Norwegian the common language; it's similar enough to swedish and danish and is a middle ground between english and the scandinavian languages, plus you don't have the baggage that swedish has.

    When pan europeanists advocate reviving latin as the common language or even esperanto, why not a living language that is already intelligible with 2 other states?

    English comes with its own issues; by making english the lingua franca of the nordic union, you're culturally exterminating a part of what makes the nordic countries, nordic. Look at the German and Norwegian immigrants to the US who were forced to speak english and assimilated to become a part of Anglo American culture

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •