Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trump, immigrants and sanctuary cities suggestion.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default Re: Trump, immigrants and sanctuary cities suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    What's ICE going to do? Go right back into those cities and catch those immigrants again without the support of local LEOs? Does Trump know what the definition of a shield city is?
    I think you may have missed the point of this proposed policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by irontaino View Post
    Imagine thinking people, regardless of immigration status, are inanimate objects you could move around for your petty little games.
    I know, right? This is quite a blow to those leftist bigwigs who were hoping to turn Republican areas blue by dumping illegal immigrants onto their streets, in the hopes that they'll go out & vote even though they're not supposed to. Which we know they do, by the tens of thousands and for the past two decades at minimum, and which the Democrats have increasingly not even bothered to pretend is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    He's trying to intimidate people into having god damn Taco Trucks on every corner? Bring it the on sir.

When ICE gets off their lazy asses and learns how to do their god damn jobs without being walked along by local LEOs maybe things won't be so bad for them.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

I know, right? This is quite a blow to those leftist bigwigs who were hoping to turn Republican areas blue by dumping illegal immigrants onto their streets, in the hopes that they'll go out & vote even though they're not supposed to. Which we know they do, by the tens of thousands and for the past two decades at minimum, and which the Democrats have increasingly not even bothered to pretend is a problem.
    I don't think most illegal immigrants arrive in the US by being dropped off by the feds. Also surprisingly little evidence for any kind of mass voter fraud in federal elections, something you think there would be a lot of evidence for.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

The list is made up of people who showed some sort of identification, such as a green card, to the Texas Department of Public Safety while they were getting a driver’s license or identification card. Such a person may have later gained citizenship, registered to vote and actually voted, but ended up on the list because they had presented a green card to DPS.
    If Texas is letting people register to vote when they aren't eligible, that sounds like it's their fault.

Actually though, they probably are checking, and this list is just a bad faith scare tactic.

Also note, these aren't illegal immigrants on this list, they are legal immigrants who are able to get drivers licenses. How would illegal immigrants go out and vote?
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    If Texas is letting people register to vote when they aren't eligible, that sounds like it's their fault.

Actually though, they probably are checking, and this list is just a bad faith scare tactic.

Also note, these aren't illegal immigrants on this list, they are legal immigrants who are able to get drivers licenses. How would illegal immigrants go out and vote?
    To wit, most states have you register to vote at the same time you get your driver's license. If Texas is so slow as to let someone with a god damn green card register to vote...
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

He's trying to intimidate people into having god damn Taco Trucks on every corner? Bring it the on sir.

When ICE gets off their lazy asses and learns how to do their god damn jobs without being walked along by local LEOs maybe things won't be so bad for them.
    I'm glad to hear you approve. It's a shame that Nancy Pelosi, Steny Hoyer, Alyssa Milano, heck it seems pretty much every notable politician and celebrity from these sanctuary cities (and some who aren't, like Julian Castro) as well as assorted immigration advocates don't share your sentiment. They appear to think being enriched with more taco trucks is a bad thing, that it's a punishment or even inhuman.
    Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    I don't think most illegal immigrants arrive in the US by being dropped off by the feds. Also surprisingly little evidence for any kind of mass voter fraud in federal elections, something you think there would be a lot of evidence for.
    It's called 'catch and release'. When it's physically impossible to continue detaining illegal immigrants due to lack of resources and court orders making it impossible to hold them in, say, Mexico while they await processing, it has been traditional US policy to simply release them out into the general community and hope they show up when they're served. Which then shockingly results in 25%-40% of them not turning up in court when that time comes.

If I were an illegal voter, or someone helping illegals vote, it would hardly be in my best interest to let anyone know. In fact I would try very hard to prevent anyone from knowing that I've voted, or helped an illegal immigrant vote, as long as it is the law of the land that only citizens can vote. Not that folks can't slip up now and then.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post

Are they citizens? That is the one question that matters - after all, we allow American citizens who aren't in the country to vote come election day. No citizenship, no vote. Simple as that.

Texas screwing up here only means that they need to do a better job catching people who shouldn't be voting, not that illegal immigrants should be allowed to vote.
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; April 13, 2019 at 01:52 PM.

I'm glad to hear you approve. It's a shame that Nancy Pelosi, Steny Hoyer, Alyssa Milano, heck it seems pretty much every notable politician and celebrity from these sanctuary cities (and some who aren't, like Julian Castro) as well as assorted immigration advocates don't share your sentiment. They appear to think being enriched with more taco trucks is a bad thing, that it's a punishment or even inhuman.
    I have made my opinion clear many times in many threads. Immigration is a federal matter backed by federal law. If local law enforcement wants to get their hands dirty, they may choose to help. But many cities choose not to either because of political reasons or of voiced local law enforcement reasons wherein local sources will no longer aid law enforcement because of how ICE has taken to playing dirty and they associate local LEO with ICE with the way they were helping. So cities have chosen to stop helping. But be clear. Immigration is a federal matter. It is one of the few things that is strictly federal. Where a lot of laws there are both local and federal ways of cutting at it. So cities that have backed away, ICE now has to do all the god damn work. Too bad.

Pelosi and other congressmen as FEDERAL Representatives really have jack to do with how a city or state chooses to respond. They expect him to enforce federal law legitimately. But there is no federal law dangling out there saying local LEO is required to suck ICE's cock and do what they say.

What's the joke with the way Trump rants? MORE TACO TRUCKS!
    Last edited by Gaidin; April 13, 2019 at 01:52 PM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

It's called 'catch and release'. When it's physically impossible to continue detaining illegal immigrants due to lack of resources and court orders making it impossible to hold them in, say, Mexico while they await processing, it has been traditional US policy to simply release them out into the general community and hope they show up when they're served. Which then shockingly results in 25%-40% of them not turning up in court when that time comes.
    And you think that illegal immigrants released from custody are taken to other towns to release them? I am confused by your original point of immigrants being taken to Trump voter areas to release them. I don't even know how that would work.
    If I were an illegal voter, or someone helping illegals vote, it would hardly be in my best interest to let anyone know. In fact I would try very hard to prevent anyone from knowing that I've voted, or helped an illegal immigrant vote, as long as it is the law of the land that only citizens can vote. Not that folks can't slip up now and then.
    Uhhh, this is some heavy conspiracy stuff right here. I don't know how you think illegal immigrant voters are covering up their crimes, the vote is there and can be analyzed. If a lot of illegal immigrants were using stolen Social Security numbers to register to vote, that would be very noticeable. Yet as noticeable as that would be, no agency noticed it? Really? And please don't try to support your points with videos from Project Veritas; really can't handle that level of nonsense.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

I have made my opinion clear many times in many threads. Immigration is a federal matter backed by federal law. If local law enforcement wants to get their hands dirty, they may choose to help. But many cities choose not to either because of political reasons or of voiced local law enforcement reasons wherein local sources will no longer aid law enforcement because of how ICE has taken to playing dirty and they associate local LEO with ICE with the way they were helping. So cities have chosen to stop helping. But be clear. Immigration is a federal matter. It is one of the few things that is strictly federal. Where a lot of laws there are both local and federal ways of cutting at it. So cities that have backed away, ICE now has to do all the god damn work. Too bad.

Pelosi and other congressmen as FEDERAL Representatives really have jack to do with how a city or state chooses to respond. They expect him to enforce federal law legitimately. But there is no federal law dangling out there saying local LEO is required to suck ICE's cock and do what they say.

What's the joke with the way Trump rants? MORE TACO TRUCKS!
    You're still missing the point. So let me spell it out for you:

1) Certain cities resolve to declare themselves sanctuaries for illegal immigrants and to deny cooperation with federal immigration authorities in tracking down and deporting them. Usually this comes with no shortage of virtue-signaling about how compassionate they are for taking this stand.

2) The Trump administration constantly has to fight tooth and nail to secure adequate funding for ICE and Border Patrol alone. This includes bedding and upkeep for existing detention facilities.

3) A district judge, Richard Seeborg, ruled not too long ago that the Trump administration cannot hold illegal immigrants in Mexico for processing.

4) With no place to hold these illegal immigrants - can't leave them waiting in Mexico, can't hold them in overcrowded detention facilities since even if they weren't overcrowded the media and the press would have conniptions, and ideally can't simply release them into the general American population either - it is then revealed that Trump and friends may be mulling over the idea of sending them to wait in the sanctuary cities of the Union instead. After all, these metropolises of progressive multiculturalism (which have for so long crooned about the virtues of progressivism and diversity, and lamented the lack thereof in the red states) will surely have no problem taking them in, right? Even better, they can't be deported by ICE from these cities (at least not without much more difficulty than in non-sanc cities) and they'll be safe from the hordes of noose-swinging, shotgun-toting racist hillbillies in 'MAGA Country'. Everyone wins - the illegals get to stay, and the left gets to bask in the radiance of their own virtuous compassion while said illegals enrich their city with the power of diversity, having finally put their money where their mouth is.

5) Actually leftist heads across the nation explode with outrage and politicians, celebrities, even blue-checkmarks on Twitter denounce this decision as retribution, punishment, inhumane, sick and disgusting, etc. Not even the mayors of the sanctuary cities have spoken up in its favor to my knowledge. Turns out they're all a bunch of hypocritical NIMBYs on a city-wide, state and national scale, who knew? <--We are here
    And you think that illegal immigrants released from custody are taken to other towns to release them? I am confused by your original point of immigrants being taken to Trump voter areas to release them. I don't even know how that would work.

Uhhh, this is some heavy conspiracy stuff right here. I don't know how you think illegal immigrant voters are covering up their crimes, the vote is there and can be analyzed. If a lot of illegal immigrants were using stolen Social Security numbers to register to vote, that would be very noticeable. Yet as noticeable as that would be, no agency noticed it? Really? And please don't try to support your points with videos from Project Veritas; really can't handle that level of nonsense.
    Once they're released, they can go disappear wherever. If they're caught and released in Texas (a border state), then they can go and disappear into Texas.

What's wrong with Project Veritas? After all, the 5th Circuit has already ruled that Planned Parenthood's tales of them deceptively editing videos and removing context to make them look bad - which the media ran with - were lies. Certainly gets me thinking, if the media has lied about them there, then where and what else have they lied about to smear Project Veritas?
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; April 13, 2019 at 03:48 PM.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Can you cite sources for your claim that the Democratic party is dumping illegals into red states?

Voter fraud in the US is a negligible issue. Election fraud on the other hand, is something Republicans are consistently guilty of. Obviously this means minority votes need to be suppressed, right?
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Well, Sanctuary cities should help with that. As I mentioned several times and nobody addressed, they could also create their own facilities with higher living standards and all, to keep those immigrants so those cities can then refuse to hand them over when they are served.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Imagine thinking people, regardless of immigration status, are inanimate objects you could move around for your petty little games.
    1. We cant just send people back willy nilly, everyone is entitled to due process.
    2. There is a limit set by Congress on the capacity of the dentition system
    3. Once capacity is reached these people have to go somewhere.
    4. The southerm border is mostly a desert.
    5. We probably shouldn't be releasing people into the desert.
    6. What better place to put people than in cities that have opened their arms to illegals anyway.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; April 13, 2019 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Insulting.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

You're still missing the point. So let me spell it out for you:
    Let's clear one thing up. I don't care about your right or left point. To me, immigration is a federal issue. This is Trump's problem. He can either deal with it or he can be a dick.

We're already a deficit financed government, so don't be surprised when someone like ICE and Border Patrol has to fight just as much as any other agency for funding.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Can you cite sources for your claim that the Democratic party is dumping illegals into red states?

Voter fraud in the US is a negligible issue. Election fraud on the other hand, is something Republicans are consistently guilty of. Obviously this means minority votes need to be suppressed, right?
    Reagan's amnesty was a huge step in turning California permanently solid-blue. Republican candidates were competitive statewide prior to the 1986 IRCA, which legalized the presence of nearly three million illegals and granted them a path to citizenship; since then, they have been increasingly uncompetitive outside of the hinterland, which are the GOP's only remaining residual bastions in the state. The last Republican to win the governorship, Schwarzenegger, was extremely moderate, and even the last moderate Republicans in the south of the state were decimated in the 2018 midterms, leaving only the seats representing Valley farmers inland.

Yeah, voter fraud is such a non-issue that hundreds to thousands of dead people and non-citizens (including in my own state) were found voting in recent years, and we have 3 and a half million more registered voters than there are recorded live adults in this country. I'm sure nobody has an interest in making sure incidents of these folks voting goes unreported or underreported, though, and that PBS is completely trustworthy along with the rest of the mainstream media - why, I remember that time they gave the discovery of just enough ballots in a trunk to give Al Franken the win in Minnesota half as much attention as they were Sarah Palin's gaffes the same year. Oh wait...

However, we are flying off-topic, when the topic is about Trump proposing to house illegal immigrants in sanctuary cities. On which my position has not changed this entire time: it's grossly hypocritical for the same people who were all for sanctuary cities and defunding ICE and how we're racist if we don't want illegal immigrants in our neighborhoods to suddenly start screeching about how this is an unjust punishment, inhuman, etc. when all that's happened is that they're getting a chance to put their money where their mouth is and enrich their own neighborhoods with some of that diversity from down south of the border. We've had a spike in illegal border crossings in recent months, but what's 100,000 more new Californians per month to the compassionate woke activist of today, right? (Or can it be that actually, mass immigration isn't that great and sanctuary cities aren't a brilliant idea after all...)
    Let's clear one thing up. I don't care about your right or left point. To me, immigration is a federal issue. This is Trump's problem. He can either deal with it or he can be a dick.

We're already a deficit financed government, so don't be surprised when someone like ICE and Border Patrol has to fight just as much as any other agency for funding.
    OK. Well, he's dealing with it now. Or rather, proposing an ingenious way of dealing with it that I'm surprised he and Nielsen haven't tried sooner. Let's wait to see what happens when this policy is put into place (the sooner the better), shall we?
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; April 13, 2019 at 04:20 PM.

OK. Well, he's dealing with it now. Or rather, proposing an ingenious way of dealing with it that I'm surprised he and Nielsen haven't tried sooner. Let's wait to see what happens when this policy is put into place (the sooner the better), shall we?
    Until he's willing to downgrade his Defense budget I don't know where you're getting 'ingenious' from. I mean, my job security is nicely handled. But since he's dooming Education(and he's proudly dooming Education, I might add) the future is ed. You see how this works?
    Last edited by Gaidin; April 13, 2019 at 07:16 PM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Until he's willing to downgrade his Defense budget I don't know where you're getting 'ingenious' from. I mean, my job security is nicely handled. But since he's dooming Education(and he's proudly dooming Education, I might add) the future is ed. You see how this works?
    *looks at the reaction of the left to the announcement of this proposal dropping*

*considers what it may mean for the future of our immigration policy if this actually happens*

Oh I don't know, looks pretty ing clever to me actually. But you said it yourself, you don't care about the optics and politics right? So why are we even having this conversation, when that's what I'm most interested in. In the interest of not flying further off-topic, I won't even touch what you're saying about the Department of Education.

I won't even touch what you're saying about the Department of Education.
    Look. Everybody that knows nothing likes to whine about how the DoE screwed up the High School and/or the Elementary School ratings system. And that's...well...fair enough. But, well, here's the thing, no policy and/or law has been written to end these systems. So what happens when money gets ripped from the DoE? It literally gets taken from the easiest place to take it from. College loans and grants. Well, grants are free. And DoE loans are the cheapest interest loans this side of US loans(Half my loans are DoE...who knows what it might have been short of whatever). You telling me you don't want US citizens or qualifying green cards to get these programs? Or just screw the DoE?

MIND YOU. THIS IS A PROGRAM WHERE THE GOVERNMENT MAKES MONEY.
    Last edited by Gaidin; April 13, 2019 at 07:56 PM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Look. Everybody that knows nothing likes to whine about how the DoE screwed up the High School and/or the Elementary School ratings system. And that's...well...fair enough. But, well, here's the thing, no policy and/or law has been written to end these systems. So what happens when money gets ripped from the DoE? It literally gets taken from the easiest place to take it from. College loans and grants. Well, grants are free. And DoE loans are the cheapest interest loans this side of US loans(Half my loans are DoE...who knows what it might have been short of whatever). You telling me you don't want US citizens or qualifying green cards to get these programs? Or just screw the DoE?

MIND YOU. THIS IS A PROGRAM WHERE THE GOVERNMENT MAKES MONEY.
    Interesting question, wrong thread and wrong poster. I've already told you I'm not interested in arguing over the DoE, which would be off-topic anyway as I said in the first half of the sentence you quoted. Feel free to make another thread and find someone else to debate this with.
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; April 13, 2019 at 08:29 PM.

It doesn't matter if it actually will be a punishment. Trump and his supporters clearly envision it as one. They simply don't imagine that to some of us having brown people living nearby isn't physically painful.

So like I said, now what's to stop a Democratic president from doing something to punish anyone who disagrees with them? Maybe shut down all lawsuits against opioid manufacturers and give them tax credits to sell as much as they can in red states? Is it really worth "owning da libs" if that kind of petty spitefulness becomes the norm?

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    It doesn't matter if it actually will be a punishment. Trump and his supporters clearly envision it as one. They simply don't imagine that to some of us having brown people living nearby isn't physically painful.

So like I said, now what's to stop a Democratic president from doing something to punish anyone who disagrees with them? Maybe shut down all lawsuits against opioid manufacturers and give them tax credits to sell as much as they can in red states? Is it really worth "owning da libs" if that kind of petty spitefulness becomes the norm?

The obvious difference being that no red states claim opium addiction is good for the economy. If blue states really believe illegals don’t bring crime and wage depression, I don’t see why they shouldn’t house these peoples.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast