Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: British Euro elections thread

Default British Euro elections thread

This is the son of the Brexit thread, perhaps the bastard son, completedly unexpected. Same informal rules, views welcome pro and anti EU , but reference to the usual off topic bollocks and conspiracy theories will be defenistrated. Edit- and no pedantry.

I am pretty sure the UK Euro elections will take place as planned. Is it a further waste of money, we could be out in a few months anyway?

Or is it an opportunity to find out what Britain really thinks about Brexit 3 years on, a sort of alpha test for the Second Referendum which is the subject of much discussion right now?
    Last edited by mongrel; April 12, 2019 at 07:21 PM.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Default Re: British Euro elections thread

EU election seems like a complete waste of time for UK, but go ahead..

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

What a waste of 108 million
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Fair comment. However I must say that the aborted preparations for no deal Brexit including Grayling's ferry company which had no ships, has cost the UK around a couple of billion. The Euro elections to me look like a bargain in comparision, especially as it might a proper indication of what 'the will of the people actually is.

Remainers can come out in force if they are excercised by Brexit. EU nationals who weren't allowed to vote in the Referendum will have their say at last and die hard Brexiteers can punish the Tories for leading them up the garden path. A win all round in my book.

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Blog Entries

EU nationals have no input on whether the UK leaves or not. They are foreign.
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

All EU nationals , if they live in another EU country, may choose to vote and stand there, under the same conditions as the nationals of that country. its an Article 22 right.

There are around 3.8 m EU Nationals potentially eligible to vote. That's 3.8 m people highly motivated to stick it to the Conservatives/UKIP/Brexit parties for the trouble they brought them.

So yes they will have a say whether one holds foreigners in contempt, or not.
    Last edited by mongrel; April 12, 2019 at 05:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    All EU nationals , if they live in another EU country, may choose to vote and stand there, under the same conditions as the nationals of that country. its an Article 22 right.

There are around 3.8 m EU Nationals potentially eligible to vote. That's 3.8 m people highly motivated to stick it to the Conservatives/UKIP/Brexit parties for the trouble they brought them.

So yes they will have a say whether you hold foreigners in contempt, or not.
    Not what I was talking about chum. https://fullfact.org/europe/who-can-vote-eu-referendum/

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    This not an EU referendum thread, read the damn title.

I'll open one no doubt, if and when Parliament commissions another referendum.

The Euro elections to me look like a bargain in comparision, especially as it might a proper indication of what 'the will of the people actually is.
    you already had a referedum that showed what the will of the people was, so thats not a valid reason.

EU nationals who weren't allowed to vote in the Referendum will have their say at last
    EU nationals werent supposed to have a say in the referedum in the first place, so thats not an argument either.

Quote Originally Posted by NosPortatArma View Post
    you already had a referedum that showed what the will of the people was, so thats not a valid reason.
    Wasn't the will of all the people. As mentioned 3.8 million people who would have been directly and adversely affected had no say in the matter whatsover. If they were allowed a say, leave would have lost handsomely. Now they have a say in these EU elections and indeed the local elections. I would suggest it will be payback time at the Tories expense.

EU nationals werent supposed to have a say in the referedum in the first place, so thats not an argument either.
    Last edited by mongrel; April 12, 2019 at 06:55 PM.

Then why were you bringing up EU and referendum in post 4?
    "Remainers can come out in force if they are excercised by Brexit. EU nationals who weren't allowed to vote in the Referendum will have their say at last and die hard Brexiteers can punish the Tories for leading them up the garden path. A win all round in my book."

Wasn't the will of all the people. As mentioned 3.8 million people who would have been directly and adversely affected had no say in the matter whatsover. If they were allowed a say, leave would have lost handsomely. Now they have a say in these EU elections and indeed the local elections. I would suggest it will be payback time at the Tories expense.
    it wasnt supposed to be the will of all the people, only of those that mattered. EU nationals didnt matter, intentionally. bohoo for you if that offends you.

then why do you talk about it?...
    Last edited by NosPortatArma; April 12, 2019 at 07:04 PM.

it wasnt supposed to be the will of all the people, only of those that mattered. EU nationals didnt matter, intentionally. bohoo for you if that offends you.
    It didn't offend me, but not having the empathy of a gnat, I recognise that EU nationals may have had a problem with this. I certainly see them as 'people' whose views ought to be heard. What does offend me are people wilfully ignoring a simple instruction "This not an EU referendum thread, read the damn title.". I'm sure there will be enough material to discuss if we stick to the topic at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Then why were you bringing up EU and referendum in post 4?
    "Remainers can come out in force if they are excercised by Brexit. EU nationals who weren't allowed to vote in the Referendum will have their say at last and die hard Brexiteers can punish the Tories for leading them up the garden path. A win all round in my book."
    Because they can vote now in the Euro and local elections (the latter is a thread in itself) and they are pissed. Yes folks, it really is that simple.

This is not a score pedantic points from Mongrel thread . Read the damn title.
    Last edited by mongrel; April 12, 2019 at 07:24 PM.

Blog Entries

The treaty of Lisbon gave non-citizens voting rights apparently. Shame they made the South vote twice on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    The treaty of Lisbon gave non-citizens voting rights apparently. Shame they made the South vote twice on it.
    Non-citizens can vote in UK elections... Seriously?

Non-citizens can vote in UK elections... Seriously?
    They are citizens of the EU, like Brits (for the time being). But yes they are people and are entitled to express their will. What did the Americans say again? No taxation without representation?

They are citizens of the EU, like Brits (for the time being). But yes they are people and are entitled to express their will. What did the Americans say again? No taxation without representation?
    Obviously I am not getting something here. A German or an Italian or anyone who is an EU citizen can vote in a UK election?

I think he means British living in another EU countries?

Didn't knew they couldn't vote before in the last referendum...

Because other nationals surely cant have a say in a UK Referendum, that would be ludicrous.

As EU elections go yes we can go vote on them. But for most people is also viewed as a waste of time, in my experience.

At any case im not sure how the input of Europeans on this elections are going to effect Brexit if at all.

And no im pretty sure me as Portuguese national cant vote on UKIP or Labour, or the Brexit party or anything like that. At least in the last elections i dont remember having foreign parties on the list.

It is just a vote for your national representatives in EU parliament. Most people in my country view it as nothing more then a leaching job, since EU MPs have outrageous wages, and benefits, and have little power and say in the goings of the EU. Non official European institutions like the Euro Group have more power and decision making then the EU parliament, as recent history has being showing. And they weren't even Suffragated for their positions.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; April 13, 2019 at 01:50 AM.

Knight of Heaven I'm not talking about the referendum. That is not a current event.

Obviously I am not getting something here. A German or an Italian or anyone who is an EU citizen can vote in a UK election?
    Depends on what's being voted on, but yes as for as the European elections are concerned they can vote for a UK candidate if resident in Britain. It's an EU election, not a UK Parliamentary one.

Just to put this beyond doubt since it seems people have difficulty grasping this , here are the eligibility criteria.

https://www.gov.uk/elections-in-the-...ean-parliament

Same applies to local elections and devolved Parliaments.

I beleive 3.8m people may be sufficient to seriously damage Tory chances where they are concentrated.

I understand now. Honestly didn't knew that.

I beleive 3.8m people may be sufficient to seriously damage Tory chances where they are concentrated.
    Maybe, but it is irrelevant to the issue of Brexit imo.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast