Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 92 of 92

Thread: British Euro elections thread

  1. #81

    Default Re: British Euro elections thread

    I'm actually really happy the Brexit Party is up and running. It will split the Gammon vote between UKIP, the Tories and Farage, leaving the door open for Labour to achieve a majority in the next election.

    As an aside... Imagine being that dumb that you think that someone called Annunziata Rees-Mogg would be on the side of the ordinary working class person.

  2. #82
    Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    5,554

    Default Re: British Euro elections thread

    What the bloody hell is the gammon vote supposed to be
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Check out the Post of the Fortnight Competition!
    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Gammon is a state of mind

  3. #83

    Default Re: British Euro elections thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    What the bloody hell is the gammon vote supposed to be
    You know exactly what Gammon means. I've explained it to you before. But to quote The Independent: "describe(s) red-faced conservative men and Ukippers ranting about Brexit"

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8352281.html

    Dickens, who coined the phrase, took it to mean: a large, self-satisfied, middle-aged man who professes an extreme patriotism in large part to disguise his essential selfishness and corruption

    But to return to my point, if the Brexit Party splits the right, then that's fine by me.

  4. #84

    Default Re: British Euro elections thread

    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post

    Just read it. How do people work under such fickle conditions? That's how things are now.



    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    NIt's just like you distilled the most elitist and sneering arguments against UKIP into one sentence. There's nothing "almost neo-Nazi" about the party, unless your political centre is the Guardian, and thus everything to the right of it is some degree of extremist. Given you're very clearly a Remainer, how would you have any clue whatsoever as to what any real Brexiteer should vote?.
    I suggest it is you who has no clue., Ask Farage and the legion of former Ukippers who followed him what they think . Gerrard Batten hasn't uttered much significant about Brexit for 3 years. But loads about Islam, migrants racial identity, blah blah. He's appointed an habitual criminal and former BNP as his political advisor. Whilst Farage trotted along the countryside with a small band of men, UKIP types were harassing MPs and offering Nazi Salutes to their god, Tommy Robinson. UKIP are dead as a serious party, Brexiteers should go for the real thing, the original.


    And I voted Brexit.


    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    As for press hit-jobs, they most certainly do have a claim to make, the mainstream outlets are all staunchly anti-UKIP. Even supposed right wing and pro-Brexit ones, like Tory boy Paul Staines' Guido Fawkes just can't help themselves but to insult the party any time the opportunity arises.
    They are entitled to a view, more so given that UKIP has degenerated to the party of Roderick Spode.

    https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...0395/long-read

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeft View Post
    You know exactly what Gammon means. I've explained it to you before. But to quote The Independent: "describe(s) red-faced conservative men and Ukippers ranting about Brexit"

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8352281.html

    Dickens, who coined the phrase, took it to mean: a large, self-satisfied, middle-aged man who professes an extreme patriotism in large part to disguise his essential selfishness and corruption

    But to return to my point, if the Brexit Party splits the right, then that's fine by me.
    You are not alone in thinking that.

    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11...kip-May-latest

    The Tories are losing a catastrophic number of voters, but they seem to have split their votes evenly between the two. I'm of the opinion that the more sentient gammon and non-ideological sorts who genuinely believe in their cause would switch to the Brexit Party when they get more well-known and organised. UKIP may be hampered by a lack of money and an activist base consisting of old racists , young edgy identitarians and football hooligans.

    Strong and Stable Mrs May? My arse.
    Last edited by alhoon; April 16, 2019 at 02:54 AM. Reason: off topic removed
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  5. #85
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,181

    Default Re: British Euro elections thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Just read it. How do people work under such fickle conditions. That's how things are now.
    Yes, that's what happens when all the levers of power are in the hands of Remainers doing their utmost to prevent the UK actually leaving the EU.

    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I suggest it is you who has no clue., Ask Farage and the legion of former Ukippers who followed him what they think . Gerrard Batten hasn't uttered much significant about Brexit for 3 years. But loads about Islam, migrants racial identity, blah blah. He's appointed an habitual criminal and former BNP as his political advisor. Whilst Farage trotted along the countryside with a small band of men, UKIP types were harassing MPs and offering Nazi Salutes to their god, Tommy Robinson. UKIP are dead as a serious party, Brexiteers should go for the real thing, the original.
    Farage the egotist who doesn't appreciate there being any star but himself, who likes a good spot of grandstanding but is an absolutely incompetent leader who surrounds himself with yes men? The man who undermined the efforts of the official Vote Leave campaign through his good works at Leave.EU during the referendum?

    Batten was the one who came up with UKIP's manifesto which was about more than just Brexit. He's also the one who did all the organisation for Farage in the years he was nominally in charge, writing his speeches and so on. As for dead as a serious party, polling doesn't seem to agree with you there. Let's see what happens with the upcoming elections.


    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    They are entitled to a view, more so given that UKIP has degenerated to the party of Roderick Spode.

    https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...0395/long-read

    I find it more than a little ironic that many of those same commentators who were calling Farage a fruitcake when he was leading UKIP have suddenly changed their tune now he's founded a new personality cult. I mean party.
    Last edited by alhoon; April 16, 2019 at 02:53 AM. Reason: offtopic removed

  6. #86

    Default Re: British Euro elections thread

    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Yes, that's what happens when all the levers of power are in the hands of Remainers doing their utmost to prevent the UK actually leaving the EU.
    The levers of power are in the hands of the DUP. It is they and the Irish question who killed Brexit. Lets stick to facts rather than slogans.


    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Farage the egotist who doesn't appreciate there being any star but himself, who likes a good spot of grandstanding but is an absolutely incompetent leader who surrounds himself with yes men? The man who undermined the efforts of the official Vote Leave campaign through his good works at Leave.EU during the referendum?
    I'm no fan of Farange, the not quite racist public image and all that.As a propoagadist though, albeit using a compliant press he certainly fooled a lot of people into thinking that the UK would be overrun by Turks and Syrian refugees etc if we did not leave now. I note that 3 years on we can safely say that did not happen. But that's old stuff. This thread is about now. His party has started from nothing to being a rival to his old party in about 2 weeks. That is not a bad effort.



    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    FBatten was the one who came up with UKIP's manifesto which was about more than just Brexit. He's also the one who did all the organisation for Farage in the years he was nominally in charge, writing his speeches and so on. As for dead as a serious party, polling doesn't seem to agree with you there. Let's see what happens with the upcoming elections.
    Polling says that the anti-Europe vote doesn't meet the total for Pro-Europe parties ( excluding Lab and Tories) after all that dissatisfactionj with the Brexit process.



    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I find it more than a little ironic that many of those same commentators who were calling Farage a fruitcake when he was leading UKIP have suddenly changed their tune now he's founded a new personality cult. I mean party.

    I beleive many commentators still consider Farage as a dangerous fruitcake, but obviously less so than a party that is content to break it's own constitution so it can invite overt racists and football hooligans to prop it's numbers and funding.
    Last edited by alhoon; April 16, 2019 at 03:10 AM. Reason: off topic removed
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  7. #87
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,181

    Default Re: British Euro elections thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    The levers of power are in the hands of the DUP. It is they and the Irish question who killed Brexit. Lets stick to facts rather than slogans.
    Given the DUPs opposition to the backstop, and the PM's unwillingness to even countenance actually changing it, that statement is rather doubtful. If they had any power, May would be petitioning the EU to remove all 175 pages of it from the draft.


    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I'm no fan of Farange, the not quite racist public image and all that.As a propoagadist though, albeit using a compliant press he certainly fooled a lot of people into thinking that the UK would be overrun by Turks and Syrian refugees etc if we did not leave now. I note that 3 years on we can safely say that did not happen. But that's old stuff. This thread is about now. His party has started from nothing to being a rival to his old party in about 2 weeks. That is not a bad effort.
    The only reason Turkey's accession ground to a halt was the swerve President Erdogan made to the authoritarian. Not that it stopped the EU giving him 3 billion euros to built walls, fences, checkpoints and equip his border guards in the south-east to stop Syrians crossing into Turkey.

    Farage's ego trip doesn't yet have any organisation, campaigners, or anything that would actually result in MPs getting into Parliament, or even for that matter MEPs into the European Parliament. Not surprising when it's only really the vehicle to keep him at the public trough.

    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Polling says that the anti-Europe vote doesn't meet the total for Pro-Europe parties ( excluding Lab and Tories) after all that dissatisfactionj with the Brexit process.
    That's not what the polls taken on the 10th/11th April on voting intentions for the European elections said, where UKIP and the Brexit Party collectively had 29% and the Lib Dems, SNP and Greens only 26%.
    Last edited by alhoon; April 16, 2019 at 03:13 AM. Reason: off topic removed

  8. #88

    Default Re: British Euro elections thread

    People who have a legitimate and genuine concern about migration would not have anything to do with a party that is now thouroughly penetrated by the extreme right. My view is , as Farage's party gets more well known , he'll capture the gammon vote, leaving UKIP to cling on to the die hard racists and Nazis. I could be wrong, time will tell.


    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Given the DUPs opposition to the backstop, and the PM's unwillingness to even countenance actually changing it, that statement is rather doubtful. If they had any power, May would be petitioning the EU to remove all 175 pages of it from the draft.
    Again wrong thread.Post it in the other thread, there is an obvious answer to that, but I want to remain on topic.



    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    The only reason Turkey's accession ground to a halt was the swerve President Erdogan made to the authoritarian. Not that it stopped the EU giving him 3 billion euros to built walls, fences, checkpoints and equip his border guards in the south-east to stop Syrians crossing into Turkey.
    The reason doesn't matter Turkey was not going to join the EU imminently. The British public were still lied to. I hope this comes out during election campaigning.

    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Farage's ego trip doesn't yet have any organisation, campaigners, or anything that would actually result in MPs getting into Parliament, or even for that matter MEPs into the European Parliament. Not surprising when it's only really the vehicle to keep him at the public trough.
    Yet the Brexit Party is a point below UKIP, who have been around since how long? Credit where it is due. It also means he can't appear on LBC until it's over, which is an added bonus.


    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    That's not what the polls taken on the 10th/11th April on voting intentions for the European elections said, where UKIP and the Brexit Party collectively had 29% and the Lib Dems, SNP and Greens only 26%..
    Polls may go up as well as down. We all know the game.
    Last edited by alhoon; April 16, 2019 at 03:15 AM. Reason: off topic removed
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  9. #89
    alhoon's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chania, Greece
    Posts
    20,684

    Default Re: British Euro elections thread

    Re-opened after cleanup. Please remain on topic, respect the ToS and your fellow debaters even if you strongly disagree. Discussing other threads, the origins or assumed political leanings of posters is considered off topic. Try to remain impersonal when framing your arguments. Last but not least, the Opening Post frames the subject, but nobody owns the thread and only the ToS sets the rules of the thread.
    Last edited by alhoon; April 16, 2019 at 03:18 AM.

  10. #90
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,181

    Default Re: British Euro elections thread

    The usual disclaimers about the validity of polling and its methodology applies, but YouGov (on 15th/16th April) would have us believe these are the current voting intentions:

    BREX: 27%
    LAB: 22%
    CON: 15%
    GRN: 10%
    LDEM: 9%
    UKIP: 7%
    CHUK: 6%

    Actual Brexit-supporting parties 34%, genuine Brexit-opposing parties 25%. 37% for the two main parties.

  11. #91
    The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Content Staff
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    I wash my hands of this weirdness!
    Posts
    4,248

    Default Re: British Euro elections thread

    The mainstream parties are about to get wrecked.





















































  12. #92
    Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    5,554

    Default Re: British Euro elections thread

    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...rliament-polls

    Labour and the Tories are simultaneously losing votes, UKIP are finished, and the Brexit party marches onwards. People who wanted a Brexit, voted for a Brexit, and didn’t get a Brexit, are evidently making their voices heard.



    This Brexit Party is quite exciting actually, being led by a politician like Farage, especially if it attracts people of the calibre of steven woolfe.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Check out the Post of the Fortnight Competition!
    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Gammon is a state of mind

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •