Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intended Difficulty Setting ?

Default Re: Intended Difficulty Setting ?

Sorry, but I don't see the point in loading "difficulty-inducing" stuff into the EDCT, when they're so easily avoided. Don't bring your FMs to command troops until the last minute, and all the logistics-related things become irrelevant.

Never mind that we've got masses of stuff to do already in the traits space, without adding still more to the workload of that section.

As long as I'm involved in the gameplay side of things, I'm not interested in chasing the "hardcore" gamer. It's a futile effort, if they're only going to play a mod for 50-100 turns anyway, I'm not going to put any effort into finding things that are likely only to annoy the people who put in 500-1000 turns, and play multiple factions.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I'm not going to put any effort into finding things that are likely only to annoy the people who put in 500-1000 turns, and play multiple factions.
    Is this sentence badly formulated by accident, or do you really mean that those who play 500-1,000 turns and multiple factions are the least priority?

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Is this sentence badly formulated by accident, or do you really mean that those who play 500-1,000 turns and multiple factions are the least priority?
    badly formulated by accident I'd say. My interpretation of his meaning is:

"IF some people are only going to play for 50-100 turns,
    THEN it's a futile effort to appease them,
    BECAUSE doing so would annoy the people who play 500-100 turns and multiple factions,
    ID EST the latter group has the higher priority"

Bingo. I'm focused on the people who play lots of turns and lots of factions; not those who breeze by, play 50 turns blitzing the map as the Romans, then get bored and play another mod.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Sorry, but I don't see the point in loading "difficulty-inducing" stuff into the EDCT, when they're so easily avoided. Don't bring your FMs to command troops until the last minute, and all the logistics-related things become irrelevant.

Never mind that we've got masses of stuff to do already in the traits space, without adding still more to the workload of that section.

As long as I'm involved in the gameplay side of things, I'm not interested in chasing the "hardcore" gamer. It's a futile effort, if they're only going to play a mod for 50-100 turns anyway, I'm not going to put any effort into finding things that are likely only to annoy the people who put in 500-1000 turns, and play multiple factions.
    Ok, that's clear. And I think it's a frank answer to the very first question in this thread.

People are more than welcome to experiment with their own submods to address different gameplay goals. Just don't expect the main mod to cater to it.

Campidoctor

Oh yeah, submods. Why not have a "hardcore" submod introducing difficulty multipliers and all that for those who want a particular challenge? Seems fair enough. It can be tailored exactly according to preference, everyone gets what they want.

I'd like such a submod. I can't mod though

Campidoctor

If only Byg's Grimm Reality submod for Stainless Steel could be ported over to EB2, I'd be all over that myself. It definitely makes things more difficult, but none of it feels cheap, it all makes sense and adds layers of depth to the game that make it feel almost brand new. I know there are maybe some shades of features of it implemented in some ways already, but a full-blown version with all the features would really be something.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

@Dooz, @NorPortatArma - I must confess, I don't get what's you're up to. From the previous entries you've sounded as proponents of a very lenient approach to the gameplay, summarised in this:

Quote Originally Posted by NosPortatArma View Post
    i see eb as an interactive history book which gives an imersive environment for historical roleplay. not as a challenging or competitive game, because mtw2 is too limited for that.
    Now you're asking about BGR, which is the paramount of the "harsh" approach to the gameplay (a very difficult Stainless Steel, and the version V is very challenging).
    So you think the game should be a game or a book?

(Anyway, even if I do believe that the M2TW engine can provide for a challenging gameplay while being as historical as it is now, QS is "not interested in chasing the "hardcore" gamer", so we shouldn't expect much challenges)

Eb is -currently- a book, except when playing certain barbarian factions, then it might be somewhat challenging (i havent played them much). therefore for "civilized" factions you currently need self imposed rules to make it challenging. But I personaly wouldnt mind if BGR was integrted into eb. So i dont think we disagree on anything.

In my opinion, the difficulty things might be better off introduced for empires that are already large, to retain a luster of gameplay when challenge disappears by iteslf over the course of the game due to how M2TW works. As for people who play 50-100 turns as Rome and then drop it for being "too easy", they bring that upon themselves. There are plenty of factions which have a much more challenging start and perhaps difficulties even afterwards, such as Saka Rauka, Sweboz, one of the three Greek factions.

Campidoctor

I meant as a submod, like how BGR is.

i was always a Hard hard player but Very Hard in CAI difficulty has immensly helped my game experience
    even more after i discovered that the genius devs of this mod added a forced diplomaty script to the game

i played so many versions of this mod always biting my hand cause of the facism like hate the ai got for you in the diplomacy on higher difficultys haha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12