Thread: Population growth and culture

Default Population growth and culture

When population of a settlement increases, does that increased population all belong to the faction's main culture, or does the increased population follow the current percentage of cultures of that settlement?

Also is it harder to change the culture of a larger settlement over time compared to a smaller settlement? Or they change at the same rate?

If the answers to above questions are "according to percentage" and "according to size", then perhaps it would be better to keep a newly conquered foreign settlement small, and try to convert as much of it as early as possible?

Default Re: Population growth and culture

An interesting question. I must admit that I have always assumed population to be entirely unrelated to culture and that no changes in population affect culture. Only ownership and the presence of buildings and colonies.

If someone understands culture in EBII and can actually answer Tentaku's question, please also elaborate on any things that factor in.

QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

These are the factors that matter for conversion (from the descr_campaign_db):

Code:
    	  <founding_conversion_default_rate float="0.0002"/>
          <neighbour_normalise_weight float="0.00015"/>
          <governor_conversion_rate_offset float="0.0004"/>
          <governor_conversion_rate_modifier float="0.0004"/>
          <owner_conversion_default_rate float="0.0002"/>
    Founding faction, owning faction, neighbouring cultures, governor.

Colonies and the like have "fast conversion" which will override those, but when it hits the cap, those other things re-assert themselves. I don't think population size has anything to do with it at all.

That, I think, is not what he asked.

I'll rephrase it this way. Let's say that at one turn you, as, say, Pergamon, have a settlement with exactly 10000 population, 1% pop, with culture being 40% eastern imperial, 25% hellenic and 35% eleutheroi, with no fast conversion factors. Next turn, the pop rises to 10100. Which culture will those additional 100 people have? Will it be 40 eastern imperial, 25 hellenic and rest eleutheroi, will they all be of majority culture, or will they all be of the culture of settlement's owner, and culture % will be adjusted accordingly?

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Gatorade, is it in you?

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    These are the factors that matter for conversion (from the descr_campaign_db):

Code:
    	  <founding_conversion_default_rate float="0.0002"/>
          <neighbour_normalise_weight float="0.00015"/>
          <governor_conversion_rate_offset float="0.0004"/>
          <governor_conversion_rate_modifier float="0.0004"/>
          <owner_conversion_default_rate float="0.0002"/>
    Founding faction, owning faction, neighbouring cultures, governor.

Colonies and the like have "fast conversion" which will override those, but when it hits the cap, those other things re-assert themselves. I don't think population size has anything to do with it at all.
    Not just any governor, though. If I'm not mistaken, a governor with zero influence points isn't going to do anything to push the needle forward in the desired direction. You need governors with lots of green olive wreath influence points in order to make any significant changes to culture over time, from what I've observed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    I'll rephrase it this way. Let's say that at one turn you, as, say, Pergamon, have a settlement with exactly 10000 population, 1% pop, with culture being 40% eastern imperial, 25% hellenic and 35% eleutheroi, with no fast conversion factors. Next turn, the pop rises to 10100. Which culture will those additional 100 people have?
    If culture is unrelated to population, as it seems to be, the game does not assign individual citizens or households culture. So in game terms, the 100 people represent no culture in particular.

In the real world, history and today alike, it is not necessary for a person or a family to represent only one culture. To give an example, the Etruscans were becoming more and more Latin over the generations and even those with pure Etruscan ancestry would eventually get Romanized.

QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

Households, not people. Each unit of population represents more than one person. Everything in the game is scaled.

thanks guys for the replies. Now I see population and culture is disconnected