Thread: Google Stadia

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Default Google Stadia

https://www.gamesradar.com/google-st...es-controller/

Full on, on-demand game streaming - think of it like watching YouTube vids on your games but you can immediately jump to play by yourself. Highly ambitious but also very complicated to pull off.

Thoughts on this?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Default Re: Google Stadia

It's not complicated. Will give a tough competition on consoles but they didn't reveal the costs which would be the main thing. The biggest issue for them will be the latency involved, especially in MP gaming.
    Traditional hardware would still dominate since majority of the world still uses poor internet connectivity. AMD made a smart move here though, collab with Google that is.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

I dont see it happening in the near future. I believe people would rather have dedicated hardware even got something like AR and VR, if those ever really take off.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    I dont see it happening in the near future. I believe people would rather have dedicated hardware even got something like AR and VR, if those ever really take off.
    A lot of rapid tech developments have really overwhelmed us as a consumer.
    -We have ever advancing hardware that keeps evolving. Which game devs adapt quickly, forcing gamers to keep their system up to date, hardware wise.
    -We have the enthusiast level where 4K-1ms monitors, G-Sync, Oculus etc tech give a whole new meaning to gaming. 1024x768 resolution dominated gaming for over a decade. Then came 1080p for some years but now all of a sudden ultra resolution has taken over. Only constraint here is that they're not friendly on the wallet.
    -And now you have G.Stadia. I think its prime benefit for gamers will be during travel where they can just use a portable machine to play graphically intensive games.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    [...] Thoughts on this?
    It was predictable. The next logical step after scrapping physical data storages and the ultimate time of the internet.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

1) lag problem
    2) not everyone does have a good internet connection (looking at you Derc)
    3) yeah well it's a predictable next piece in their product family and probably supposed to be integrated into youtube. But youtube is when it comes to gamers and everything that upsets the wrong people. So it's kinda set on the assumption of youtube taking the place of twitch, whilst they are simultaneously doing stuff wrong so they ain't gettin' there.
    4) Game save problem. Will it keep all your saves? How long? What if a game leaves the subscription network? Will the game saves then be deleted?
    5) Subscription service that'll only be worth it if you plan on either playing a lot or if you plan on only trying out demo-versions of games (because then you can skip the install. uuuuh!)
    6) Speaking of skipping the install: It takes muuuuuuch much more bandwidth to stream than to download a game and then play it online. So bandwidth-wise the advantage is going to be lost after maybe 2-5h or so.
    7) RIP mods.
    8) I'm honest to god scared of these massive oligopolies getting stronger and stronger. A few more years and humanity isn't much better than your average ant or termite hill.
    Except that we won't see sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Moderator Emeritus

A lot of rapid tech developments have really overwhelmed us as a consumer.
    -We have ever advancing hardware that keeps evolving. Which game devs adapt quickly, forcing gamers to keep their system up to date, hardware wise.
    -We have the enthusiast level where 4K-1ms monitors, G-Sync, Oculus etc tech give a whole new meaning to gaming. 1024x768 resolution dominated gaming for over a decade. Then came 1080p for some years but now all of a sudden ultra resolution has taken over. Only constraint here is that they're not friendly on the wallet.
    -And now you have G.Stadia. I think its prime benefit for gamers will be during travel where they can just use a portable machine to play graphically intensive games.
    However, you can do that for free using your own dedicated hardware, all you have to do is use software like moonlight game streaming for nvidia cards.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Yeah I use Nvidia Shield already at home. Steam's in-home streaming service is also there but never got into that in-depth. Stadia does go beyond them but the main concern for Gamers will be lag and costs involved which wasn't talked about by the devs. Right now I'm a bit sceptical about its performance.

Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I find moonlight game streaming to be the best because it uses nvidias technology originally intended for the nvidia shield to be for desktops.

Steams kinda sucked.
    The AI Workshop Creator