Thread: Stainless Steel 6.4: Is it possible to change 'Foot Knights' to Castle and 'Fedual Knights' to Fortress?

xRossTheBossx's Avatar Foederatus

Default Stainless Steel 6.4: Is it possible to change 'Foot Knights' to Castle and 'Fedual Knights' to Fortress?

As we are all aware, Calvary, even light. Are very powerful in SS. So I never truly understood why the foot knight variant comes after the mounted variant. (same goes for vanilla).

So, my question is essentially asking if it is possible to swap these requirements for these units. I would like the same to apply for others factions as well, i.e. Arab Infantry should be recruitable at Castles and Arab Calvary at Fortresses.

This may make armies with limited amount of calvary, and generals even more valuable, but im willing to experiment to see.

Thanks for any replies.

Default Re: Stainless Steel 6.4: Is it possible to change 'Foot Knights' to Castle and 'Fedual Knights' to Fortress?

Because knights would fight on horseback if possible, and on foot only if not possible.

You can change these things in EDB.

Also, that "i.e." should be "e.g.".

Dragour's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Stainless Steel 6.4: Is it possible to change 'Foot Knights' to Castle and 'Fedual Knights' to Fortress?

I thought it was more of a balancing thing, since foot knights are very strong when defending castles where cavalry are for offense, so the game tries to give you more offensive units first in order to expand and fight then later on they give you defensive units to hold your upgraded settlements.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Because knights would fight on horseback if possible, and on foot only if not possible.

You can change these things in EDB.

Also, that "i.e." should be "e.g.".
    1. I understand the logistics, but I stated why I wanted it changed.

2. Which file is that again? is it the export_descr_buldings or something like that (cant check right now)

3. who cares

Thats a good point, but the AI are so bad at siege attacks anyway so it doesn't make a huge difference.

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Guys,

As per the previous thread, lets keep our discussions civil and on-topic.

Again I have removed posts that are provocative and off-topic.

Many Thanks

NJ

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

Quote Originally Posted by Navajo Joe View Post
    Guys,

As per the previous thread, lets keep our discussions civil and on-topic.

Again I have removed posts that are provocative and off-topic.

Many Thanks

NJ
    Thank you, I wasnt looking for a fight

Thank you, sir!

I'd agree with the O/P that it makes little sense that cavalry is available before horses, especially when it just requires the castle building and not stables.
    Personally I'd link the foot knights to the castle building and mounted versions to the stables.
    Except for factions where they don't use stables much.

But yes you can hack the EDB anyway you want to make it conform to your idea of what it should be like.
    You can even add new buildings, such as the archery range and stables to towns.

You do, however, have to be careful be very careful when editing the EDB to make sure there's no errors, that units are not missed out and that the same rules for units apply to all factions,
    except where that wouldn't make sense.

Yea i thought about it. I will keep it as is for now. They didn't really start doing the building/research requirements until shogun 2. That really would make alot of sense and be good for balance reasons if you only a certain level stable (castle or fortress level stable for feudal knights for example), and/or a blacksmith level needed to train that troop with that specific armor (so feudal foot knights would need the heavy mail armor blacksmith line until you could train them at base level). I would imagine the ai would throw nothing but trash units at you though if that were the case lol. Would be great to put that in medieval 3 (when that finally comes out...) or a remake/remaster of 2. But one could only hope.

Medieval I had that setup. You needed a spear maker, a horse breeder, and an armorer to recruit knights, for example. That and regions had baked in unit recruitment bonuses, so you'd build what was needed to recruit that particular unit type in that region.