Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some questions...

Default Some questions...

1) What if the game started at 275BC instead 278BC? The reason why i ask this:

- Could it be more interested to see Epeiros not to be destroyed by Rome in the first turns but instead to wage war against the other greek cities? Taras could be a clent state for Epeiros and Epeiros would not be in war with Rome and Carthage , instead would have bad relations with them.
    - Could it be more interested to not see Rome AI to invade Greece in the beginning but instead already start with minor bad relations with Carthage and Syracuse to provoke the 1st punic war?
    - Could it be more interested to see the Seleucid player to start the game the moment the satrapies are revolting?

2) I saw this is in war of gods overhaul:

- It is possible to add walls to some minor settlements or add the option to upgrade the settlement to have walls?
    - The diplomacy map is beautiful in war of gods. It is possible to create something similar?

3) I like to play with minor factions , sometimes a random faction (not famous like Pergamon or Pontus ) the question is many of them don't have story in game and their traits are generic. so i ask if it is possible to add story to text to all minor factions and different traits to make them more interesting to play?

4) It is possible to have 8ty submod? Why is that? Well:

-4ty is good but then you have winter for only one turn. 12ty can simulate better the seasons effects but now the game is too long. So it could be more interesting to have 8ty with reduced 30% movement campaign . This would not only make seasons interesting but would also prevent armies to jump from a settlement to another one in a turn giving more time to AI and player to react to incoming enemies.

Sorry for my poor english, is not my native language.
    Last edited by andresimoes; March 19, 2019 at 02:14 PM.

Default Re: Some questions...

1. We moved the start date back a couple years ago actually. We used to have it start later, but we thought the Pyrrhic Wars was a more interesting time period. Carthage and Rome will go to war in the mod, just not immediately. The Seleucid satrapies will rebel, just a few turns in rather than immediately. Its a much more interesting start if you play as Rome, which a large % of people do.

2. You can add walls to minor settlements (and we do in fact do that, to fix some vanilla bug issues). But, they won't be on the campaign map and the battle maps will all use the closest major city instead of their own maps. Editing the diplomacy map is a simple case of creating it in a paint program. We chose to use Idraeus' wonderful map, but its subjective.

3. Its possible but its a huge amount of work. We already have 45 playable factions that we have fully customized and worked hard on over many years. Its not easy just getting those right, much less 100 more. The All Factions playable submod is there for those who want to play the others, but we simply don't have the capacity to do every single faction in that manner.

4. 8TPY seasons don't work properly, at least every time I have ever tried it.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions Dresden.

1) Oh i see. I completely ignore the fact that most players prefer to go with Rome. All makes sense, my apologizes. However if the reason is to make a more fun gameplay for rome players why don't use the year 280BC instead? The reason why i said this , it was the year Pyrrhus landed in Italy and there was the first battle between these two powers. So to make a more interesting gameplay the game would start with a full stack Epeiros army in the Taras region close to the Cosentia border and of course Rome and Epeiros are already at war but Epeiros would not be at war with Carthage but you could give bad relations between carthage and Epeiros to promote a future war between these powers. With this:
    - Rome players will face a bigger challenge from the beginning.
    - They are expected to lose Consentia province or can try to win the first battle which again will give a better experience.
    - Rome AI vs Epeiros AI will not see any difference. Rome AI can struggle a little in the beginning but eventually they will field more powerful armies with time and will destroy Epeiros.
    - Epeiros would not die so easily in the campaign.
    - Maybe we could see Epeiros forces invading Sicily.
    I am talking about this and i remember playing rome Surrectum where the Rome player started the game with a big battle against Carthage , the idea is similar.

2) Again my apologizes. I didn't know about that. I never went so far in a campaign to see them i think.

3) I am not asking to give more units. I understand you guys already made a lot for this game and i am grateful for your beautiful work. I am just asking for a simple introduction text for each faction and different traits to give each nation a different flavour. As an example looking atm to the Arabian factions i see a lot this (poor tax collectors :+3% tax; homefront defence: +10% bonus morale; melee defence: +10% meleed defence for all infantry units ) so if you look to all arabian nations they all look very similar and without story. If they had these details could help in making them more interesting to play, but of course i understand you guys have more important things to do.

4) The main reason why i gave that suggestion is i don't like the fact i can go as example, from Sparta to Athens in one turn. It is good from a gameplay point of view to know or Ai know that an army is coming to attack him to prepare a better defence, however i know ,i just need to find that again , that there is submods that change the army movement, i just need to find them again , however the reason behind i said 8ty is if a player is not careful could be catch with is army walking in an enemy territory during winter for two turns and suffer some losses because of that. That is why i think 8ty could be a better number however if you said that doens't work properly i will trust you of course.

Again thank you Dresdren.
    Last edited by andresimoes; March 19, 2019 at 04:18 PM.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Rome? I hope *most* players play several or many factions when they play, not just the same one over and over. And certainly not with a backwater like Rome!

I like the 8TPY idea, but even that seems too long for the grand campaign. OP, try a smaller campaign like Wrath of Sparta (customized as Macedonian Wars by the team, but you can also revert to the earlier vanilla time period) and you get 12TPY in a way that works better because it's a focused part of the world map (in this case focused on Greece and the eastern Mediterranean).

One of the goals of the mod is definitely to make non-Roman factions feel unique and fun to play, so I hope everyone tries all kinds of factions But the truth is that Rome remains the popular choice.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

You can lead a pleb to water, but you can't make him drink.

On Rome1 I only played as Rome I did try some Egypt mod once tho. On Rome2 I played other factions even on vanilla, I think the reason is that the campaign play was just so much faster ( you can view whole province at time instead by settlement opposed to Rome1 ). I think I've tried all but Iberian ones by now . On Rome1 I played single campaign over several yrs..

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    Rome? I hope *most* players play several or many factions when they play, not just the same one over and over. And certainly not with a backwater like Rome!

I like the 8TPY idea, but even that seems too long for the grand campaign. OP, try a smaller campaign like Wrath of Sparta (customized as Macedonian Wars by the team, but you can also revert to the earlier vanilla time period) and you get 12TPY in a way that works better because it's a focused part of the world map (in this case focused on Greece and the eastern Mediterranean).
    True. I think i never played more than a few turns with Rome in DEi. Until a few days ago i had the idea Rome was to easy and so i didn't find interesting to play with them. Only in the last days , exploring new submods to test i saw the "alternative economy" by KAM and i got very pleased with the results. The game become much more interesting to play for me with this mod that i can consider trying to play with Rome some day.

About the 8ty yes i agree it can make the campaign to long , but i think i found a better solution. Searching in the submods i found this:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ge-for-v1-2-3e
    It appears it is working without problems. I am going to start a new campaign to see how it plays.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by andresimoes View Post
    1) What if the game started at 275BC instead 278BC? The reason why i ask this:

- Could it be more interested to see Epeiros not to be destroyed by Rome in the first turns but instead to wage war against the other greek cities? Taras could be a clent state for Epeiros and Epeiros would not be in war with Rome and Carthage , instead would have bad relations with them.
    - Could it be more interested to not see Rome AI to invade Greece in the beginning but instead already start with minor bad relations with Carthage and Syracuse to provoke the 1st punic war?
    - Could it be more interested to see the Seleucid player to start the game the moment the satrapies are revolting?
    andresimoes, regarding your first point, you may be interested in these two DeI submods; Age of Hellenism + Seleucid Satrapal Rebellion Redone

take a look at them and feel free to ask if you have any questions!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    One of the goals of the mod is definitely to make non-Roman factions feel unique and fun to play, so I hope everyone tries all kinds of factions But the truth is that Rome remains the popular choice.
    In the R2TW-DEI Rome is indeed an interesting faction - due to the limited number of the armies the steamrolling is significantly reduced. It's quite different for the other mods I've played - Europa Barbarorum (both I and II) and Rome Total Realism. This is actually a big advantage of the DEI. I wish the team would put more work in balancing the Augustus campaign (or ROTR) so that the players can play other moments of the Roman history as well. Anyway - thanks again for your work!

I was lucky to experience Rome I back in my day when it was introduced. I had all the time in the world and boy did I spank that donkey day and night Mostly I played as Rome, also as Carthage, Gaul and little with Seleucia also. THe problem was that in that time there was some mods but I didn't use them very much, rather modded on my own with little results and variation. When Rome II came and it being as it was (terrible to say at least) I was disappointed.

With DeI and it's submods everything changed. Teams efforts, achievements and especially Litharions scripts in supply system and PoR mods really impressed me (there were some other guys also working on those mods, and have to mention especially Dresden who does all the work that nobody else wants to do ). Now that my time here on earth is limited I really only play as Rome. As sad that it sounds I still love the basic gameplay with all the spices that most recent patches give to this mod. It almost seems that this project is a source that keeps giving, not just for me me but for all the players in this community.

So thanks again DeI -Team and didn't mean to bug you Dresden, I'm your biggest fan actually, you've helped me a lot with all the modding questions

Last time I played as Rome I failed to take Appilonia and was later crushed by the Eprius Carthage alliance. Never saw it coming...you fool!
    Last edited by struckat; March 20, 2019 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Seleukos.I.Nikator~ View Post
    andresimoes, regarding your first point, you may be interested in these two DeI submods; Age of Hellenism + Seleucid Satrapal Rebellion Redone

take a look at them and feel free to ask if you have any questions!
    Yes i am already using your Age of hellenism mod
    Unfortanely i am also seeing the Epeiros not having a good time against Rome.

Atm i am using this:

mod "_clouds.pack";
    mod "mod_aqueducts_dei.pack";
    mod "@NoPOGarrison.pack";
    mod "@a_DeI_AFP4_submod.pack";
    mod "@@a_cultural_tension.pack";
    mod "@@@alternativeeconomy.pack";
    mod "@@@@realismtechgroups.pack";
    mod "@@@@@age_of_hellenism_v_1_1a.pack";
    mod "@@@@@@deiroads.pack";
    mod "@@@@@@@wotg_environments.pack";
    mod "@@@@@@@@movement12.pack";
    mod "@@@@@@@@@hd_cities.pack";
    mod "_divide_et_impera_release_12_Part1.pack";
    mod "_divide_et_impera_release_12_Part2.pack";

I changed march&engage for a reduce movement mod. Unfortanely march&engage makes all armies in forcing march to always get ambush. No good.
    I am waiting for the new update in Data venia and if the Cyrene expanded mod is going to be release. (Cyrene is one of my favorite nations in game)
    If you have any suggestions feel free to share with me.

Anyway what i real want to ask you is much more important.

I already understand we both don't like what is happening to Epeiros and the fact Rome is invading Greece to soon.
    I suggested to change the year when we start a new campaign to 275BC to save Epeiros from Rome and make them fighting other greek cities, and the answer was to make rome players happy with the Pyrric War. Ok i understand why, but if this is the reason why not change the year to 280BC and give Epeiros a big army moving to Cosentia? I didn't get an answer about this and i think the reason is the mod is already with many years in development and it would take many hours to change the year now.

Ok so what is the BIG problem looking to what we have atm from historical point of view? There was no Pyrric wars in italy at 278BC. Rome players start the game with a fake war. There was no fighting between Rome and Epeiros in that year. In 278BC was the year Pyrrus invaded Sicily and started the Sicily campaign (278-275BC)

So what i want you to ask if is possible and of course if you are interested in doing this.

To change all the situation around Sicily and southern Italy to be more historical accurate.

So:
    - Taras is a client state for Epeiros.
    - Cosentia is a Epeiros settlement.
    - Akragas in Sicily is a Epeiros settlement.
    - Pyrrhus is with his army at Akragas at war with Carthage.
    - Epeiros and Rome are at peace with bad relations.

As a bonus make Ariminium an Etruscan settlement. In fact it was an Umbri settlement at the time but i don't think we have Umbri faction in game. i don't know. But it wasn't rome for sure. So with only 3 settlements well i could find me interested in playing with Rome.

What do you think about this? And sorry for my poor english, is not my native language.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

@@@@@@@@movement12.pack
    what's this? Don Kanallje's pack? It's outdated and will overwrite some values.

If you want to reduce strat movement jsut download TURTLE_Parts_MOVEMENT into second thread
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ITH-DeI-1-2-4a

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    @@@@@@@@movement12.pack
    what's this? Don Kanallje's pack? It's outdated and will overwrite some values.

If you want to reduce strat movement jsut download TURTLE_Parts_MOVEMENT into second thread
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ITH-DeI-1-2-4a
    Yes it is. Thank you for sharing this. I will download your mod

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

well it's not mine, it's for everyone.
    pay attention when you download a submod, read descriptions. And double check descriptions, mostly if they are speaking about scripts.
    about don kanllje's it's clearly written into last post not to use it

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    2. You can add walls to minor settlements
    How this can be done?

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by andresimoes View Post

I changed march&engage for a reduce movement mod. Unfortanely march&engage makes all armies in forcing march to always get ambush. No good.
    I am waiting for the new update in Data venia and if the Cyrene expanded mod is going to be release. (Cyrene is one of my favorite nations in game)
    If you have any suggestions feel free to share with me.

Anyway what i real want to ask you is much more important.

I already understand we both don't like what is happening to Epeiros and the fact Rome is invading Greece to soon.
    I suggested to change the year when we start a new campaign to 275BC to save Epeiros from Rome and make them fighting other greek cities, and the answer was to make rome players happy with the Pyrric War. Ok i understand why, but if this is the reason why not change the year to 280BC and give Epeiros a big army moving to Cosentia? I didn't get an answer about this and i think the reason is the mod is already with many years in development and it would take many hours to change the year now.

Ok so what is the BIG problem looking to what we have atm from historical point of view? There was no Pyrric wars in italy at 278BC. Rome players start the game with a fake war. There was no fighting between Rome and Epeiros in that year. In 278BC was the year Pyrrus invaded Sicily and started the Sicily campaign (278-275BC)

So what i want you to ask if is possible and of course if you are interested in doing this.
    Main issue is that any changes to campaign map in terms of armies or province setup require startpos editing, which actually cant be modified but rather requires whole file to be rebuilt, which in our case would mean few months of work and there is no way to be sure it would not break anything else along the way.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Main issue is that any changes to campaign map in terms of armies or province setup require startpos editing, which actually cant be modified but rather requires whole file to be rebuilt, which in our case would mean few months of work and there is no way to be sure it would not break anything else along the way.

That is terrible But it is possible to change campaign year and relations between nations?

And of course i want to thank you for the alternative economy mod you made. Amazing mod

Quote Originally Posted by DC0 View Post
    How this can be done?
    Adding a wall to a settlement is basically just an effect in building effects. However, it won't show up on the campaign map and it will use the battle map for the provincial capital.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast