Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The double standards of progressives in the West

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: The double standards of progressives in the West

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    And that's your preference and your choice. For others to have that choice made for them by the government is not ideal.
    You know you don't have to take the school lunch dude. If you or your folks can supply you with one and breakfast and a snack and what not - nobody forces a government food allotment into your mouth. But if you opt to buy one or take the free to subsidized lunch you can't whine about the mouth of the gift horse. When I forgot my lunch bag back in the day and had to face the gross green boiled turkey hot dog. I don't recall leading a march against government oppression. Just you know sucking it up and eating what somebody dropped on my tray. Again in that case I would have loved it being meatless Monday or maybe Halal goat Thursday.

The choice is made for you in all cases as soon as you sign up for the school lunch. There is no "umm is the prime rib rare, oh no - well perhaps I will go with the sasibury steak and roasted winter vegetables. Can I get the whole milk not the 2% and really I would like fresh blueberries over the caned fruit cocktail. Yes well have the baked Alaskan delivered to my table I just am not in mood for apple pie."

Sorry man but "your choice" was never particularly a function of any school lunch I got. Other than kid are you buying lunch or not or do you have a number otherwise get in the milk only line its 90 cents.
    Last edited by conon394; March 16, 2019 at 11:09 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

In my school having a choice between halal or nothing would have been unacceptable.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    In my school having a choice between halal or nothing would have been unacceptable.
    You would have even noticed? In any case as far as I can tell it is being offered as an option the US not a requirement and it is local to schools that have high populations of potentially apt people. Would you really notice if you got all beef hotdog over a pork one? Its not like you loose bacon and tay because by in large I ain't never seen that at any school lunch anywhere in the US in 48 years of my own or reading all my kids menus.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Why? Your school have something against chicken or beef?
    The Armenian Issue

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Yeah we got ham, pork sausage and so on at my school. British school dinners are much better I can assure you.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

stolen history
    How exactly from whom?

and lost territory
    Which territory would that be?

------------------

Yeah we got ham, pork sausage and so on at my school. British school dinners are much better I can assure you.
    And you would have been so oppressed to have somebody have a non pork option? Been to the UK enough that outside of blood sausage I kinda pass on the local sausage. I did get a really good boar sausage once but in general a bit to much filler in the morning ones. You know my school had a fish on Friday option when I still lived about the Detroit Polish (Catholic) neighborhood. But the best was the cheese sandwich on rye (if you asked ahead of time you could get caraway seed sauerkraut added) with tomato soup [But that was before the era of sysco truck and it was made in the kitchen].
    Last edited by conon394; March 17, 2019 at 10:35 AM.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    You know you don't have to take the school lunch dude. If you or your folks can supply you with one and breakfast and a snack and what not - nobody forces a government food allotment into your mouth. But if you opt to buy one or take the free to subsidized lunch you can't whine about the mouth of the gift horse. When I forgot my lunch bag back in the day and had to face the gross green boiled turkey hot dog. I don't recall leading a march against government oppression. Just you know sucking it up and eating what somebody dropped on my tray. Again in that case I would have loved it being meatless Monday or maybe Halal goat Thursday.

The choice is made for you in all cases as soon as you sign up for the school lunch. There is no "umm is the prime rib rare, oh no - well perhaps I will go with the sasibury steak and roasted winter vegetables. Can I get the whole milk not the 2% and really I would like fresh blueberries over the caned fruit cocktail. Yes well have the baked Alaskan delivered to my table I just am not in mood for apple pie."

Sorry man but "your choice" was never particularly a function of any school lunch I got. Other than kid are you buying lunch or not or do you have a number otherwise get in the milk only line its 90 cents.
    You are not wrong here. Indeed if there's only one option, then for religious reasons it could be frankly be "no option" for children with large numbers of minority religions.

I wonder though, during Lent, are the options meat-free to conform with the Christians? Or during the days of Wednesday and Friday if there's a presence of Orthodox (Greeks, Russians etc) students?
    Because in those schools mentioned, the majority of the students are still Christian.
    Last edited by alhoon; March 19, 2019 at 06:42 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

I wonder though, during Lent, are the options meat-free to conform with the Christians? Or during the days of Wednesday and Friday if there's a presence of Orthodox (Greeks, Russians etc) students?
    Because in those schools mentioned, the majority of the students are still Christian.

I guess what I'm getting at was this was a tempest in a tea pot. But yes in fact in and around Detroit you could find a lot of schools that did fish on Friday, or beg off the meat for a double serving of something else. Worked during lent too. Although mey ability to be called a Catholic has faded over the years, my crucifix carried over on the boat from was hugely useful on a Friday when my school served still deep fried fresh in the kitchen tater tots and some boiled warmed hamburger. Double tots no rubber burger - good day. I suppose that is something I should bring up in confession one day... In general lunch is a very local issue. I would not be surprised if in districts with a significant Orthodox population you can fine meal accommodation or alternatives. Also its fairly common in my experience that as long as you are not trying to grift the system there is a PB&J and milk option for a few cents or free if you object to the hot lunch or forgot yours and have no money.
    But wait there would mean favoring the poor or forgetful.

Let's see how the progressives around the world (not just in USA where they actually have a horse in the race) will treat the fact that Trump himself did no crime, no obduction of justice and no collusion. I wonder how the progressives of Canada and Western Europe will feel now. Or the centrists of Germany that were banging the alarm gongs about Russia and USA working together.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Someone needs a chill pill. I think that ax is sharp enough already, no need to grind it further.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Let's see how the progressives around the world (not just in USA where they actually have a horse in the race) will treat the fact that Trump himself did no crime, no obduction of justice and no collusion. I wonder how the progressives of Canada and Western Europe will feel now. Or the centrists of Germany that were banging the alarm gongs about Russia and USA working together.
    From what I can gather, there doesn't seem to be much interest in this topic in general over here in Europe, from liberals or otherwise. Personally I think Trump is a bad politician with a bad agenda, but it's who the Americans voted into office. If political parties feel the need to achieve by legal enquiries what they could not achieve through the ballot box, then democracy is all but dead. Either because it is it is necessary, or because because political opponents no longer value the integrity of democratic institutions over getting their way.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

This thread should be "double standards of stupid people in the west"

Actually... This thread should be "double standards of stupid people"

Because nothing here is inherently progressive. It's just stupid people being stupid. Stupidity isn't the exclusive right of any political, moral, ethnic, geographic or philosophical viewpoint.

And on that note... point in case is half the responses here.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    From what I can gather, there doesn't seem to be much interest in this topic in general over here in Europe, from liberals or otherwise.
    Progressives, not necessarily liberals. From what I have seen in the news of my country, there was some interest on the whole thing and from what I got from international news (like BBC) there was greater alarm around Europe about USA and Russia working together with the whole Crimea situation.

SlartyBartfast's Avatar Decanus

This sort of attitude is typical of a conservative, picking out isolated incidences of idiocy, which are usually taken out of context or blown out of proportion, and then attributing the small action of a very few to the entire left-wing spectrum, ie about half of the human race. Conservatives love to complain to each other over and over again that every leftie in the world is a transexual terrorist-harbouring feminazi who is trying to subjugate the world beneath their dirty communist heel. And maybe there is one such person in the world, you never know.

But let me tell you something, buddy: people who vote left are, with the odd aforementioned exception, decent, caring human beings who only want everybody to have a decent chance in life. They are generally well-educated too, certainly on average moreso than your average conservative, who, on average, is dumber than a box of rocks and spends his or her life complaining loudly to people who agree with them about how the evil commies are ruining their world, never having the wit to realize that it is the conservatives' own dumb fault their life sucks. I would find it absolutely hilarious if it wasn't so tragic that conservatives are so easily led by the media and their easily-tapped passions to vote for the super-wealthy who then just bend them over in thanks and roger their asses.
    "Huh?"

This sort of attitude is typical of a liberal, picking out isolated incidences of idiocy, which are usually taken out of context or blown out of proportion, and then attributing the small action of a very few to the entire right-wing spectrum, ie about half of the human race. Liberals love to complain to each other over and over again that every right-winger in the world is a white supremacist fascist neo-nazi who is trying to subjugate the world beneath muh patriarchy. And maybe there is one such person in the world, you never know.

But let me tell you something, buddy: people who vote right are, with the odd aforementioned exception, decent, caring human beings who only want everybody to have right to live their life without interference from government. They are generally fiscally-educated too, certainly on average moreso than your average liberal, who, on average, is dumber than a box of rocks and spends his or her life complaining loudly to people who agree with them about how the evil nazis are ruining their world, never having the wit to realize that it is the liberals own dumb fault their life sucks. I would find it absolutely hilarious if it wasn't so tragic that liberals are so easily led by the mainstream media and their easily-tapped passions to vote for the super-wealthy who then just bend them over in thanks and roger their asses.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123