Thread: Help With Downloading and Starting Game

Default Help With Downloading and Starting Game

Good afternoon all,

I am attempting to start this game and running into difficulties at every turn. As of now, I've downloaded the patch 6 version of the mod but when I open it from my desktop, it immediately begins running the vanilla base-version of the game. The game does not begin, however, and the vanilla version closes of its own accord. I have Medieval II: Total Wars Kingdoms downloaded in Steam and have attempted to download this game multiple times, without success.

Any assistance with opening this game successfully would be much appreciated.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help With Downloading and Starting Game

A few questions:

1. Did you download and install the main files as described here?
    2. Did you then install the patch?
    3. Did you change the installation path of the main game or the patch? It needs to point to the ...\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War - not anywhere else.
    4. Did you do anything like changing the name of an original campaign to get the mod running?
    5. Please check if you have a custom entry in Steam's launch option: right click the game in the game library, select 'properties' and then click on the 'set launch option' button and remove any entry in there.

A tip for other mods that are not Steam compatible: follow this one-time tutorial to make them all compatible.

Thanks so much for the reply. I am a casual gamer (and am only trying to download since the mod covers a period I'm studying for my graduate work). I have never downloaded a mod before and must confess I'm pretty uncertain about the process. I know it is asking a lot but could you write an overview, going step by step through the process. I gatherv I need to download utorrent and then download the v2 version of the game. After that I'm pretty clueless.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Simply do it step by step as described, the short version here:

- Go to this post
    - Download all parts listed in the 'media fire download' section (most reliable\available option) - make sure the files are all in one directory (see 'download content' picture)
    - Run the part 1, part 2 and part 3 applications in sequence - leave the DO files alone, they get installed automatically
    - Make sure the installation directory points to the medieval2 total war main directory every single time (spelling may vary, he installer will put the correct one)
    - Download and install patch 6 from the post underneath this one in exactly the same way (no DO files here anyhow)

Use desktop shortcut to start the game