Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bartix..No no, I mean Baktria

Default Bartix..No no, I mean Baktria

Greetings,

Long time EB player, up till 2019 anyway.

DeI enticed me to update to Rome II. You have created a fantastic mod, no its more than that.

I have been trying different factions and find it challenging and satisfying. The other day I got around to Baktria and just cant seem to get public order under control. Crank taxes down and build temples in every city seems to have little effect. Any tips? I have not had such problems with any other faction. The best I have been able to do is camp a stack in a province which starts to help some, but if I do anything I end up with rebellion in short order. If I do anything else, I end up -80 in short order.

I have only noticed this since the last update. And the things added in the last update really hooked me on DeI.

Default Re: Bartix..No no, I mean Baktria

Not much has changed in that area in the last update, so that is indeed odd. The normal stuff I always suggest but I assume you know - don't station armies in cities, use patrol region stance, use generals as governors solo stationed in cities, etc.

Culture also plays a big role there if I remember.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

waidizss's Avatar Ordinarius

Worst pun attempt 2019 , hopefully I can nominate that.
    Data Venia hardcore couch general edition: 'Competent' AI, reworked unit stats, realistic speeds, more planning, more strategy, less arcade, less cheese.

Get that feel that you are campaigning, not simply steamrolling, now only £9.99 monthly subscription for your advanced Lucius Licinius Lucullus' guide to subjugating the east.

I am familiar with the usual things to make the people happy.

I restarted several times and went to about turn 20. The last time I just kept at it and am up to turn 70. The home provinces never get above 0, however I have been able to avoid rebellion. I had enough stability to think about pushing my neighbors around. The Indians are providing a lot of experience for my troops. I can field one stack plus 1/2 stack of mixed horse for support. I currently have Marv and Aratakoana where I crush rebellions repeatedly. I have owned them for 20 turns.

Parthia is a friendly trespassing trade partner who helps me from time to time, but they wont agree to anything but trade. Harauvatis just sits there politely so far, but I keep my eye on them.

It is vastly different than before the last update as far as home happiness. But it is entertaining. The Baktrian peltasts are what keeps me alive along with four units of medium cavalry.

I only post every ten years or so. So far this has captivated me just as EB did.
    Thank you thank you and more thanks to the DeI team....my wife hates you.

Worst of 2019? But I did enjoy the Bartix thread...I couldn't even tell you how many years ago that was.
    Last edited by struckat; March 10, 2019 at 05:05 PM.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

So... See you back in 2029!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    So... See you back in 2029!
    Play a lot, post very little...

Still not sure what my problem is with Baktria. The home regions never get above 0 for public order. But any territories that I conquer only take a few turns to stabilize.

I must keep taxes cranked all the way down or end up -80 in a very short time. Slave population hovers around 10-15%. Culture is much higher than in conquered areas that are fine. I’ve put generals in every city. Two governors, no other factions guys stirring up trouble. A full stack next to a city helps a little but over the course of several years not. I tried not building anything for food production in favor of temples, but then I starve. I just don’t get it.
    I’ve played multiple other factions with no problems like this.
    Prior to the last update I rolled with Baktria.

I’m on Steam so I wonder if I should delete and reinstall the mod?

I am trying to think what could have changed in the last update to affect PO in Baktria.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Culture starts out 40% Greek. Shouldn’t everyone get happier as it rises? The other portions are Persian and Nomad.

My new game is in winter of 277,
    Province Baktria
    -42 current, change per turn -9
    Contributing factors
    Difficulty (normal) +5
    Characters +5
    Events -5
    Cultural difference-7
    Tax -1
    Slaves -2
    Faction -4
    Seven turns to rebellion at current rate

Transoxania is-35 and headed the same direction, events and culture are the big hitters there too.
    Maybe I just need to turtle longer?

In my other game, 76 turns, Autumn of 260, public order is stable at -61, 67% Greek,
    No matter what taxes must stay all the way down.

Marv was approaching 0 with only 34% Greek and 4 other cultures, until Maurya angered me and I attacked south. Then Susia took Marv, I took it back and a few more turns it will be back on the road to happy.

The Baktria home regions were not this difficult before the update. Is it supposed to be Persian?
    Last edited by struckat; March 11, 2019 at 06:11 PM.

Patrician

-42 is quite a lot for vanilla...
    may you upload your savegame?

Nordling's Avatar Semisalis

You just need more PO buildings, nothing special about that imo. Food is an issue in the east as all provinces have high potential to be income provinces. One has silver, one gold and many have silk resource, making building fields a costly decision, from perspective of economic cost. When i played baktria i used to build PO temple, satrap's palace (or whatever it's called) and a theater in the provincial capital to combat starting po issues. I had a lot of rebelions in starting provinces until i stabilised the regions after 15+ turns; and im playing with cultural tensio which makes po handling even harder. The easiest way to tackle po issues is installing a governing general in the province (you put a general without army in a settlement in the province and he gains experience steadily) and upgrading po & tax rate trait (orange line). Also, bad season sometimes can give as much as -5 PO so keep an eye on it.
    Cheers!

Edit: also keep in mind that one of the traits of your government, kingdom, is -4 PO across all provinces. Moreover, you have a bad leader meaning that if he is i) a statesman ii) general stationed in your faction capital, he will be granting negative PO across all your provinces.
    Last edited by Nordling; March 12, 2019 at 04:42 AM.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

I agree with Nordling. I can't see anything special about it, you just need a bit more effort in stabilizing this situation. -7 PO from cultural difference is not that much. In my current campaign with the Ptolemies that I play with the cultural tensio submod I started the campaign with something in the region of -25 PO from the cultural penalty in some of my provinces. To reiterate what Nordling said above and add a few more tips, what you need to do is to;

- patrol your provinces with your armies
    - if you own the whole province, use the appropriate edict in it
    - delegate some of your characters to govern the provinces; make sure you select them carefully choosing those that have some bonuses to PO
    - when your governors level up choose the skills that grant bonus to PO
    - give your governors ancillaries with bonuses to PO as soon as you obtain any
    - deploy the dignitaries in your provinces; if necessary give them skills with bonuses to PO once they level up
    - use the 'organise games' intrigue when necessary; it gives huge boost to PO for 4 turns
    - build temples; choose carefully which temple would best suit your needs in a given province
    - also, one important thing; bear in mind that while playing as Bactria you start with an 'inept' faction leader; it means that it is best to let him lead the army that is not stationed in the city. Otherwise you will suffer every turn a penalty to your PO if he is in your capital or is not deployed, at all

Nordling's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by ~Seleukos.I.Nikator~ View Post
    I agree with Nordling. I can't see anything special about it, you just need a bit more effort in stabilizing this situation. -7 PO from cultural difference is not that much. In my current campaign with the Ptolemies that I play with the cultural tensio submod I started the campaign with something in the region of -25 PO from the cultural penalty in some of my provinces. To reiterate what Nordling said above and add a few more tips, what you need to do is to;

- patrol your provinces with your armies
    - if you own the whole province, use the appropriate edict in it
    - delegate some of your characters to govern the provinces; make sure you select them carefully choosing those that have some bonuses to PO
    - when your governors level up choose the skills that grant bonus to PO
    - give your governors ancillaries with bonuses to PO as soon as you obtain any
    - deploy the dignitaries in your provinces; if necessary give them skills with bonuses to PO once they level up
    - use the 'organise games' intrigue when necessary; it gives huge boost to PO for 4 turns
    - build temples; choose carefully which temple would best suit your needs in a given province
    - also, one important thing; bear in mind that while playing as Bactria you start with an 'inept' faction leader; it means that it is best to let him lead the army that is not stationed in the city. Otherwise you will suffer every turn a penalty to your PO if he is in your capital or is not deployed, at all
    Agreed, ancillaries granting PO is an important aspect as well. The most common is "crisis manager", granting +2 PO which you attach to your dignitary stafioned in the province. There are better ones out there as well, but this one is fairly common and you should be able to get him pretty soon in the campaign.

Patrician

Yeah, but could be stuckat has something weird inside his data folder which might be compromising some values

Not sure, Jake.

The PO breakdown from the province of Baktria in the post #8 looks entirely normal to me.

Patrician

oops, -42 is current... not a malus per turn...
    yeah entirely normal to me too

As Baktria I organize games in both regions. You also start with one dignitary (deploy). Then 2x generals and two crap units for both for patrol. Plus more if you want to snipe Dahae or whatever that one holding neighbor was immediately. That would solve your inept FL problem fast.
    Since you are likely to build for supply for food in 2/4 provinces, maybe Baktria should receive yellow building line and one that improves public order. Transoxania's province probably is better off with silk production boost building. It gets easier once there are more building slots.
    But basically the amount of organize games + generals on patrol need is highly dependent on whether you are going for early attack or not.

I build the dignitary for culture conversion. One general, maybe even FL for that too. Slave building should be considered for your tech path. You kind of need it to reduce the malus to public order if you want to grab a lot of slaves.

After these you should have tools to manage PO.
    Last edited by magitsu; March 12, 2019 at 09:47 AM.

Thank you all, I am probably focusing too much on food and industry. I am distracted by a Rhodes campaign at the moment. As time permits I will start another Baktria campaign and let you know how it goes...before 2029.

Ok, lots of good advice given by all. Theater, Satraps residence and working on a healer and things are looking up my my new Baktria campaign.

One more question, is there a temple I can build to honor the creators of the mod?
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; March 16, 2019 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

Quote Originally Posted by struckat View Post
    One more question, is there a temple I can build to honor the creators of the mod?
    If you can just set up a temple to Zeus Soter in the ancient Baktra (modern Balkh in north-western Afghanistan) I think that will do...

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

We also have a Patreon's Great temple

We'll sneak in a namechange to Dresden Soter in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast