Thread: New here, is there a write up anywhere comparing all of the different mods/submods?

Default New here, is there a write up anywhere comparing all of the different mods/submods?

There seem to be a ton, and I'm just checking this page out for the first time since like 2014. Is there like a generally recognized top three that I could look into or any kind of guidance I can get on what I should try?

Default Re: New here, is there a write up anywhere comparing all of the different mods/submods?

Hello
    Age of petty kings
    GOT
    Fire a blood 0.9
    Got winds and winter by peaman
    Winds of winter by clint Eastwood
    King of rivers and hills

Bonous that is not on here westeros dunkle shwingen

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Re: New here, is there a write up anywhere comparing all of the different mods/submods?

And the Italian mod "A Song of Ice and Fire".
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralG View Post
    Hello
    Age of petty kings
    GOT
    Fire a blood 0.9
    Got winds and winter by peaman
    Winds of winter by clint Eastwood
    King of rivers and hills

Bonous that is not on here westeros dunkle shwingen
    Just listing all the mods/submods isn't comparing them.

It would be nice to have a breakdown of

-In order of stability (most important, sick of crashes -_- )
    -In order of completeness and balance (complete text, skins, factions, units..etc)
    -In order of closeness to lore or tv series.

Because there seem to be so many mods/submods (many abandoned, buggy, incomplete) floating about that it can get very confusing and tiresome downloading, going through installation process of all of them.

Maikaregion
    - I have so far tried game of thrones enhanced v4.9 and westeros 1.0 versions. 1.0 crashed a lot and had a lot of unfinished things. v4.9 seemed a little more complete but it kept resetting my keyboard settings and graphics options each time i launched it, and when i tried to load savegames it kept crashing to desktop.
    I also tried dream of springs but that is a work in progress still too (however even though it is incomplete, and somethings i dislike, at least it doesn't crash for me and is stable which is the most important thing!!).

Im going to try the other ones probably but im not getting my hopes up with all the frustrations i have encountered so far.

It would be nice to just have one stable, complete, balanced mod with all the big factions (night king army with 1x ice dragon that is the strongest faction but not overpowered that it makes the game impossible when you have low units or low funds to counter them), daenarys with dragons, unsullied, dothraki (the dothraki skins in the mods dont look so good, I think it would be better to use or base it off apache's or cuman/mongol horse archers from mtw2 base game), wildlings with giants, starks with wolves. And who acts as a general in a family tree should be logical and make sense that fits the tv series or books.

Also, for units it would be cooler if you could only recruit a certain house's units from their own region. Not mixed shield colors of different houses packed in one unit.

And set at the start of the tv series time period, with open diplomacy possibilities.

Oh and another thing I wanted to add because it wont let me edit my previous post is - voice packs from the tv show. Not voice packs from mtw2 Egypt/Moors/Turks because it sounds weird.

That would be a nice complete mod.

Quote Originally Posted by maikaregion View Post
    There seem to be a ton, and I'm just checking this page out for the first time since like 2014. Is there like a generally recognized top three that I could look into or any kind of guidance I can get on what I should try?
    Quote Originally Posted by maikaregion View Post
    okay I tried a lot of these out now. This is just my opinion!

Best overall mod (no crash issues, nice map, lots of variety, complete, balanced, ok download, ok end turn speed) is Age of Petty Kings. A minor thing is voices/speech packs and mixed unit shields, I prefer distinct region recruitable units with a uniform colored shield, but this is just minor preference choice.

Most polished, impressive looking mod is westeros dunkle shcwingen. It's looks/texture models could compete even with modern games. You can see how much effort they put in and seems complete. Around a huge 7gb download i think. (longer end turn speed)

The main issue is I did experience some crashes to desktop (clicking a unit card, moving camera around battle for example).

Secondly, a lot of the text is in German (even if you choose English option in settings) so you wont have a clue what option you are choosing (script heavy)

It does say on their website though that they are working on a fully English text release apparently.

Also minor things are the horses seem to run goofily, whereas their movements looked more realistic in mtw base game in comparison.
    And the diplomacy alliances dont all seem to be completely accurate.

When they release the English version it will probably be the best mod I think (presuming you dont speak German, and hopefully improve stability more)

The one I had most fun on so far surprisingly is parafix and soulfireinc's 'a dream of spring' (someone posted a link thread in forum of it) but it is very incomplete and i dont know if they are still working on it or its abandoned? but it has a lot of potential if they finish it and i liked the stability, no crashes, nice looking distinct units, factions, general choices and diplomacy seem right. (short, quick download)

I dont agree with all the choices they made though like making faith militant a playable faction, i think they could have made a different house playable or even not necessary to use up that slot, or who they chose for general in essos/free cities with sellsword spam. And the dothraki units look a bit aids. And there was balancing needs to be done. But lets wait and see if they finish it first. I recommend you try it out though for fun.

lastly if you can stand a lot of crashes...
    westeros 1.0, i would have preferred playing lots more of enhanced game of thrones, but it crashed on savegame launch so no progress, which is important.

whereas 1.0 at least i could load up the savegame with no crashes, but then other things caused crashes. I like the time era setting (joffrey on the throne tv series time period start of the war), but the stability crashes ruined it for me, otherwise i would recommend enhanced game of thrones. Out of the 2 in its current state u can try 1.0 out but be warned about stability.

In conclusion, dunkle schwingen for me when they release full english version
    in the meantime, i will be playing age of petty kings and a dream of spring (work in progress)

Ok these are just my opinions as I am recalling from memory. Hope this helps u navigate your choice easier

oh forgot - fireandblood3.0 crashed upon startup, even when i tried renaming it americas it also didnt work that way either. You can see on moddb other ppl had same problem in comments...

so havent tried that out because of install issues.

another suggestion would be wildfire artillery (only recruitable at kings landing) would be fun and cool.

What is the best submod for Westeros Total War? I may think of downloading the mod again but idk yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sullivanclan1 View Post
    What is the best submod for Westeros Total War? I may think of downloading the mod again but idk yet.
    Currently I would probably say Age of Petty Kings.

Any other recommadations?

PeaMan's Avatar Winter Is Coming

Quote Originally Posted by ArcadeGames View Post
    oh forgot - fireandblood3.0 crashed upon startup, even when i tried renaming it americas it also didnt work that way either. You can see on moddb other ppl had same problem in comments...

so havent tried that out because of install issues.
    Simply extract the FNB 3.0 file to your mods folder and it should run as intended, not sure why it's crashing for you but I've downloaded the latest version to see if it crashes for me and it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaMan View Post
    Simply extract the FNB 3.0 file to your mods folder and it should run as intended, not sure why it's crashing for you but I've downloaded the latest version to see if it crashes for me and it doesn't.
    I have downloaded the file twice to try it out, and it just didnt work. I dont know if the moddb version is corrupted or something, and there is an alternate link?

I followed the instructions exactly extracting into mods file and then running .bat, and even tried running it as americas after, it just didnt start. And ive tried most of the other mods suggested and all of them managed to open and run just fine initially so Im not sure what the startup issue is

Are you launching from the Batch file?