Thread: UAC and windows 10

Default UAC and windows 10

Hello,

I couldn't find a clear answer about disabling User Acount Control in windows 10.

I just bought a new PC, with older version of windows I had no trouble related to disabling UAC.

Disabling UAC is advised when using mod for medieval 2, however, I read on the net that W10 don't like when you touch to the Appdata file. I wonder if it is safe to do it. Any advice is welcome !

Thank you

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: UAC and windows 10

It's not so much disabling UAC (not really recommended unless you know what you are doing - can be highly irritating to be asked every time you install a mod but has no direct effect otherwsie) then disabling the virtual store for the game. The virtual store makes copies of files and redirects to them (afaik) thereby preventing changes to the original to take effect. While a nifty way to stop nasties doing their business it's a pain for mods.

Check this tutorial from step 3 how to disable it for M2TW only. Delete any M2TW directory in the virtual store folder once you are finished.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was thinking to disable it only for med 2 and I've done it that way in the past. I've always disable it for preventing any bugs but now I understand why it's useful to do it, thank you for your explanations. The thing is, I don't have any M2TW directory in virtual store. I gave full permission to med 2, can I assume it's ok or can you confirm this method work for w10 ?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Doing the virtual store routine is the first thing I do after installing the game on a new computer, the last two were win10 systems and I haven't had any issues in either disk or Steam version.
    The next is giving admin rights to the game's executable as well as setting compatibility to win7 (described here). The Steam version get's this treatment to make using mods easier.
    Reducing the UAC level is not essential - after all you can still override it when installing programs it objects to (click 'show more info' and approve), so it's up to you how comfortable you are with it.