Thread: Unit Movement Speed Tweak

Default Unit Movement Speed Tweak

This tweak idea took shape after I tried selling a friend on the Stainless Steel mod. I loaded up the Agincourt historical battle, and his first question was "Why are the horses galloping in slow motion? They're literally floating." before promptly dismissing the mod in favor of more recent titles on that basis alone. I too had always felt units marched too slow, so I looked into it, and if you too are tired of your army marching at a snail's pace, the good news is there is a solution. it lies in the "descr_battle_map_movement_modifiers" text file in Stainless Steel's Data folder. One option is to simply delete the file, but I thought that would be a shame.

Simply overwrite the contents within with this,

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

climate default

grass_short 1.19
    grass_long 1.12
    sand 0.91
    rock 0.98
    forest_dense 0.91
    scrub_dense 0.98
    swamp 0.56
    mud 0.63
    mud_road 0.98
    stone_road 1.26
    water 0.49
    ice 0.91
    snow 0.84

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

I got these values by multiplying the ones prior by an arbitrary 1.4, so you could easily change them back by dividing the changes by 1.4 if unsatisfied. For me, it feels more realistic. Now, those Frenchmen won't look completely ridiculous galloping across the mud, but the archers will probably be slightly weaker, since the distance will be closed faster.

Default Re: Unit Movement Speed Tweak

Very interesting, thanks. This is a much faster way to tweak battle speeds than editing individual units one by one.