Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 77

Thread: India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

  1. #1
    caratacus's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    3,646

    Default India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

    Tension has been building up for years in Indian administered Kashmir, but the recent killing of 40 Indian paramilitary police by Kashmiri separatists has precipitated a direct conflict between both nations. An attack by the Indian Air force on a claimed operational base for the insurgents inside Pakistan, has now had a retaliation by the Pakistan air force, in which two Indian aircraft have been downed and at least one crewman held captive.

    Details of this last encounter remain sketchy, but it seems that Pakistan may have tried to hit a target but been intercepted by the Indian air force who took the fight across the border back into Pakistan.

    Is a wider conflict between these two countries inevitable or will both back step back from the brink, before it becomes a full on armed conflict?

    India Pakistan: Kashmir fighting sees Indian aircraft downed

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47383634

    Pakistan says it has shot down two Indian military jets and captured a pilot in a major escalation between the nuclear powers over Kashmir.
    India said it lost one MiG21 fighter and a pilot was missing in action. Pakistani PM Imran Khan said the two sides could not afford a miscalculation with the weapons they had. India and Pakistan - both nuclear-armed states - claim all of Kashmir, but control only parts of it.
    They have fought three wars since independence from Britain and partition in 1947. All but one were over Kashmir.

    The aerial attacks across the Line of Control (LoC) dividing Indian and Pakistani territory are the first since a war in 1971. They follow a militant attack in Kashmir which killed 40 Indian troops - the deadliest to take place during a three-decade insurgency against Indian rule in Kashmir. A Pakistan-based group said it carried out the attack.
    Last edited by caratacus; February 27, 2019 at 09:13 AM.

  2. #2
    Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Planet Nirn
    Posts
    4,048

    Default Re: India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

    I hope Birmingham has place for one billion Pakistani and Indian refugees

  3. #3

    Default Re: India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

    This could escalate badly.

  4. #4

    Default Re: India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

    I can't wait till someone blames "the West" for th...


    Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    I hope Birmingham has place for one billion Pakistani and Indian refugees
    Oh, too late.

  5. #5
    Protector Domesticus
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    4,175

    Default Re: India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

    These air strikes are wrong. India and Pakistan have acted in a reckless and provocative manner. After today's actions I urge both sides to put aside the rhetoric, get round the negotiating table and stop this kind of thing happening again.

  6. #6

    Default Re: India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

    Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    These air strikes are wrong. India and Pakistan have acted in a reckless and provocative manner. After today's actions I urge both sides to put aside the rhetoric, get round the negotiating table and stop this kind of thing happening again.
    It would help if Pakistan didn't send terrorists into India, who proceed to murder random Indians and foreign tourists alike.

  7. #7
    caratacus's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    3,646

    Default Re: India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

    Quote Originally Posted by 95thrifleman View Post
    This could escalate badly.
    International pressure is being placed on both countries to descalate the tension, from the US, China, Russia etc However, there is still widespread anger in India. especially over the killing of tHose 40 servicemen, and with two shot down Indian aircraft and images of a blindfolded Indian pilot being held captive, the pressure upon the Indian government to undertake further military action must be very great. You wouldn't expect Prime Minister Narendra Modi to be too resistant to that pressure, whatever the consequences. The decision to undertake an airstrike into Pakistan was incredibly risky, and so far it is India that has come off the worst for it.

  8. #8

    Default Re: India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

    Quote Originally Posted by caratacus View Post
    International pressure is being placed on both countries to descalate the tension, from the US, China, Russia etc However, there is still widespread anger in India. especially over the killing of tHose 40 servicemen, and with two shot down Indian aircraft and images of a blindfolded Indian pilot being held captive, the pressure upon the Indian government to undertake further military action must be very great. You wouldn't expect Prime Minister Narendra Modi to be too resistant to that pressure, whatever the consequences. The decision to undertake an airstrike into Pakistan was incredibly risky, and so far it is India that has come off the worst for it.
    I think the Indians have been influenced by the actions in the middle east, using air power for counter-insurgency. Problem is those ops where conducted against insurgents operating without air defence. Pakistan has equality to Indian so could protect their airspace.

  9. #9

    Default Re: India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

    The video of the Pakistani civilians beating the captured Indian pilot while the Pakistani soldiers don’t intervene is only going to harden the resolve of the Indian public. Dumb move especially during an election year.

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mir...n-14060130.amp

  10. #10
    caratacus's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    3,646

    Default Re: India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

    Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    It would help if Pakistan didn't send terrorists into India, who proceed to murder random Indians and foreign tourists alike.
    There has been an increasingly level of radicalism in Kashmir which is creating a toxic situation that was bound to escalate into violence, Street clashes are now common and with that a increasing build up of Indian security forces. A situation the world has largely chosen to ignore.

    This is a good video showing the situation in Kashmir in which religious faith has become the foremost point of division, rather than self determination and national identity.

  11. #11

    Default Re: India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

    Crickets from the Indian MoD. They are probably reviewing their options. India is stronger than Pakistan. They can choose to escalate.

    1. A war will probably boost Modi’s position since he draws on Indian nationalism.
    2. They may create an opportunity to take all of Kashmir.

  12. #12

    Default Re: India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Crickets from the Indian MoD. They are probably reviewing their options. India is stronger than Pakistan. They can choose to escalate.

    1. A war will probably boost Modi’s position since he draws on Indian nationalism.
    2. They may create an opportunity to take all of Kashmir.
    I don't think outside players would let that happen.

  13. #13

    Default Re: India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

    You cant control a country like India. Especially over a sensitive issue like this.

  14. #14
    Clodia_Metelli's Avatar Campidoctor
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Apud Castellum Heddesdorf
    Posts
    1,511

    Default Re: India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

    As Trump is busy with Kim in North Vietnam and busy with backing up Gaido in Venezuela and at most he is TRUMP.

    Who should mediate?

  15. #15

    Default Re: India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

    UN Security Council should pass a resolution.

  16. #16
    Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Planet Nirn
    Posts
    4,048

    Default Re: India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Crickets from the Indian MoD. They are probably reviewing their options. India is stronger than Pakistan. They can choose to escalate.

    1. A war will probably boost Modi’s position since he draws on Indian nationalism.
    2. They may create an opportunity to take all of Kashmir.
    Pakistan has better army. The irony is that they have practiced against their own people plus they have american weapons

  17. #17

    Default Re: India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

    Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    Pakistan has better army. The irony is that they have practiced against their own people plus they have american weapons
    Their air force is a laughing stock though which is all that really matters in this day and age.

  18. #18
    Senator
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Coventry, England, UK, Europe.
    Posts
    1,044

    Default Re: India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

    Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    Pakistan has better army. The irony is that they have practiced against their own people plus they have american weapons
    Terrorising one's own people does not an effective military make, and one wonders how well they maintain their weapons.
    If I had to choose between betraying my friends and betraying my country, I hope I would have the guts to betray my country.

  19. #19
    Vanoi's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Civitate

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    14,810

    Default Re: India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

    Pakistan does not have a better army than India. This is why tactical nuclear weapons are part of Pakistan military strategy to stop any Indian invasion into Pakistan.

    https://carnegieendowment.org/2016/0...lity-pub-63911

    This is nothing but an old problem that has now boiled over. Sure Pakistan and India have had poor relations and tensions and clashes before because of the disputed territory of Kashmir. That isn't really the problem here is much as it is Pakistan continuing to support Islamic militant groups against India. Pakistan does this to its other neighbors as well like Afghanistan and Iran.

    India came close to attacking Pakistan before over similar attacks like the terror attack against India's parliament years ago. Now the tensions are even worse and nationalism is burning like a fire in India right now to really respond against Pakistani attacks.

    If Pakistan continues its behavior this really might get out of control.

  20. #20

    Default Re: India and Pakistan clash over Kashmir

    Quote Originally Posted by tgoodenow View Post
    Their air force is a laughing stock though which is all that really matters in this day and age.
    Two downed planes suggest decent air defence

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •