Thread: Is the Guild system working correctly in SS 6.4?

Default Is the Guild system working correctly in SS 6.4?

Ok, I'm a fairly new player to the Stainless Steel mod. (in fact I didn't play the original vanilla MTW2 all that much when it was released all those years ago)

Over the past week I've been playing an early era campaign as the English (had a couple of restarts, due to making alterations such as applying bugfix patch 1.27 and then changing to 2 years per turn), and I've noticed something strange with the game in relation to receiving offers of guilds in your settlements. During the mid 1100s I captured Paris from the French, there was already a Master merchant's guild there, but I already had one in Edinburgh which I captured after crushing Scotland earlier on, and I'd been pumping out bishops from Paris so I decided to demolish the existing merchant's guild there in the hopes of getting an offer for the theologian's guild.

However, a few turns later, I was able to upgrade Exeter into a minor city, and then I got an offer there for the theologian's guild (despite the fact I'd never trained a single churchman there and in fact had been pumping out assassins previously in the hopes of being offered the assassin's guild!)

I'm confused, obviously the game recognised I'd been accumulating points with the theologian's guild by making priests, yet offers me the guild in another city, is this a known bug??

Default Re: Is the Guild system working correctly in SS 6.4?

Not really a bug...
    When you build up points with any given guild, the game wont neccesarily offer you the guild you want in that specific settlement.
    Just refuse it in Exeter and keep turning out priests from Paris and youll get the offer there.

I usually do that when I play England. All merchants will come from London, all priests from York and before long ill get the guild offers where I want them.
    The reason you can wind up with more then one Master guild (since you cant get offered one if you already have one) is, the other faction already had it when you took the city.
    Every faction can get a masters guild of any kind. So, if you have a master theologian guild in York, and the Scots built one in Edinbourugh, while French built one in Paris... then you take those cities, you can wind up with all 3.

The only kind of guild there can truly only be 1 of is the headquarters (only 1 at any given time in the world).

P.S.
    Your preference is your own, but if you are fortunate enough to wind up with multiple master merchants/or whatever guilds, I wouldn't demolish them, since that is not something you can get back... yet you can decide to build something else in any other city.

It should go without saying, you should never ever demolish a guild HQ (if you're lucky enough to get one), because you are unlikely to ever get offered it again.
    You demolish it, itll probably get offered to someone else, and there it will stay, and you wont even know who or where it is.
    Last edited by Duck of Death; February 28, 2019 at 09:00 AM.
    Honest and truly, I AM Robin Hood!