Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Male-to-female transgenders are ruining sports for women.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Male-to-female transgenders are ruining sports for women.

It appears that all things are subject to interpretation, whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth. The trans situation here is evidently the most precise demonstration of this.
    It follows then that reasoned discussion is utterly impossible, all is mere power play. Mutual and deliberate misunderstanding, coupled with contempt becomes the norm. In a world where all is framed as "us versus them" there is no room left for the individual, without the individual there is no morality and absolutely no chance for liberalism. It is just a game with no winners in the end.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Are you postmodernist?

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    Are you postmodernist?
    Nah, I'm completely 100% accurate, objective, verifiable and correct in all of my beliefs and assertions. It is everyone else who are postmodernist, ruled by trends rather than facts.
    That being said: What is truth?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    That being said: What is truth?
    That Jesus Christ is your Lord and saviour. Questions?

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    That Jesus Christ is your Lord and saviour. Questions?
    Is it bad that I feel a strong need to wash my hands now?

But seriously, establishing as generally acceptable epistemological schema might go a long way to establishing a realm of mutual understanding, which would be at least preferable to the current situation surrounding this topic.
    Last edited by Himster; April 16, 2019 at 09:14 AM.
    -Betrand Russell

Is it bad that I feel a strong need to wash my hands now?

But seriously, establishing as generally acceptable epistemological schema might go a long way to establishing a realm of mutual understanding, which would be at least preferable to the current situation surrounding this topic.
    The secular commandments:

1. Thou shalt not suffer an authoritarian to live.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

The secular commandments:

1. Thou shalt not suffer an authoritarian to live.
    There is no one set of secular commandments. Also, very few are actually secular. In the western tradition, we get our notion of the law for instance, from the Romans and we maintain that same sense of the transcendent or at least reverence that is absent in other traditions. In Asia there is a less established notion of separation of church and state, their laws and the way of heaven are intertribally intertwined to the point that it is beneficial to the state and common for accused murderers for example to admit to crimes, for the betterment of the state, even if they're innocent.

How the did I get to this topic?

We were talking about dickless dudes beating the crap out of women or an oppressed minority receiving equal treatment in the field of competitive sport for the first time. Isn't strange how the same topic can be framed in such radically opposing terms?
    -Betrand Russell

There is no one set of secular commandments. Also, very few are actually secular. In the western tradition, we get our notion of the law for instance, from the Romans and we maintain that same sense of the transcendent or at least reverence that is absent in other traditions. In Asia there is a less established notion of separation of church and state, their laws and the way of heaven are intertribally intertwined to the point that it is beneficial to the state and common for accused murderers for example to admit to crimes, for the betterment of the state, even if they're innocent.

How the did I get to this topic?

We were talking about dickless dudes beating the crap out of women or an oppressed minority receiving equal treatment in the field of competitive sport for the first time. Isn't strange how the same topic can be framed in such radically opposing terms?
    I was trying to craft a tongue-in-cheek set of secular commandments which we could use as a starting point for an "epistemological schema" which could be universally accepted.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

I was trying to craft a tongue-in-cheek set of secular commandments which we could use as a starting point for an "epistemological schema" which could be universally accepted.
    Ok, cool. Good thinking.

1:
    Thou shalt not suffer an authoritarian to live
    2: The centre of the observable universe is the individual
    3: The dictum 'cogito ergo sum' must be the premise for all knowledge
    4: How do we escape solipsism?
    Maybe that's going too basic?
    -Betrand Russell

Ok, cool. Good thinking.

1:
    Thou shalt not suffer an authoritarian to live
    2: The centre of the observable universe is the individual
    3: The dictum 'cogito ergo sum' must be the premise for all knowledge
    4: How do we escape solipsism?
    Maybe that's going too basic?
    Can a question really be considered a commandment?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123