Thread: Hayasdan reform

Default Hayasdan reform

I started a campaign as Hayasdan a couple of days ago, for the first time, on VH/H difficulty. It's been a lot of fun and we have expanded very rapidly, controlling 22 provinces after 75 turns

As you can see, our success has been thanks to spamming general's bodyguard, horse archers, and slingers. We have no decent melee infantry at all and I've been relying on the crappest levies to hold the line, which they generally fail at doing. I'd like to change up our tactics especially as we are now at war with the Ptolemaioi and they're bringing elite phalanxes to the fight. Moreover further expansion eastwards will bring us into contact with the Parthians and the Saka, who will shred us with the present army composition.

So I thought the first thing I needed to do was get the basic reforms through at Armavir and start recruiting some better infantry, before transitioning later on into Hellenic Native Phalanx, when the economy is healthier. I'm trying to get the Pan-Caucasus Empire Reforms through and it isn't working for me. I've followed the guide and constructed the following buildings at Armavir:

Market, level 1
    Garrison, level 1
    Roads, level 2
    Upgraded to minor city

According to the reform guide, I have exceeded the requirements for getting it. But the Homeland Territory icon isn't present in the building slots, it still only shows Alliances Available. Have I missed something? Does the level 3 government need to be destroyed first in order for Homeland Territory to become available? Or do these buildings need to be constructed in cities other than Armavir?

Default Re: Hayasdan reform

Getting that far without the reforms is pretty impressive. My thought would be that you should dismantle any government buildings. You start off with a level 3, so you need to destroy that, build a military control, and the new government should appear.

You are missing two provinces in the Caucasus.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirtius View Post
    Getting that far without the reforms is pretty impressive. My thought would be that you should dismantle any government buildings. You start off with a level 3, so you need to destroy that, build a military control, and the new government should appear.
    I got lucky with the Parthians, Baktrians, Saka and Ptolemaioi keeping the Seleucids busy. Whereas for me, I took Pontos out quick when they only had one settlement, and I had no wars going on other than against Sauromatae who haven't really troubled me, so my borders were completely secure. The Seleucids left their northern front undefended and it was pretty easy to concentrate all my armies and take their poorly garrisoned settlements.

Also I have to give a shout out to the Armenian general's bodyguard, they're a fantastic unit!

Quote Originally Posted by pirro View Post
    You are missing two provinces in the Caucasus.
    You're right, this has done it. I captured Kabalaka and Phraaspa and the Homeland Government resource appeared at Armavir. Weirdly though the Alliances Available is still there, even after I destroyed the level 3 and built up the level 1 government.