Thread: Barcid Revenge submod

Default Barcid Revenge submod

Hi guys!

I have been wanting to post this submod for some time but I was waiting for the new Carthaginian unit. However, now that I have enough changes in the files I think you will like it if I post it now. It is not finished yet, since the new unit for Carthage is being worked on by Wermez and will be ready when it's ready

What this submod changes for now is the rebels colours and names (from rebels to independent or free) - Thanks to Erken submod, it also changes the diplomacy interface (courtesy of Erken with other small changes made by me).
    Finally, it adds Hannibal Barca to the game, around the turn 164 (when he would be 16 years old) - This is in order to solve a famous problem with the Carthaginian Faction, when players wouldn't have more Barcid FMs to get the reforms, surprise, Hannibal has the Barcid trait! Sadly, I can't control the charismatic/sharp and other traits and because of that he may spawn as a dumb, uncharismatic FM, however, he has a good amount of good traits to be a great general. He will spawn near Mastia/New Carthage.

Lastly, I wanted to give more importance to the Numidian cavalry and therefore, I increased their size, they are now 116 in Huge size, giving them a good edge in battles against other cavalry units and proving that they were some of the best light cavalry of the time. With this increase, they gain a lot more strategic importance and become a really useful unit due to their size and skills.

Some images:

https://imgur.com/a/dJl1AWf

Credits:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

EBII team for the amazing mod
    Erken for the changes in the rebel names (still I made some other changes to the names) and the diplomacy interface changes.
    Myself for the other stuff
    De Bello mundi mod and Midnite for the shield textures on the carthaginian unit

Thanks a lot to:

Erken for letting me use his diplomacy changes and the rebels names changes.
    QuintusSertorius for always answering to my many many doubts about the names, bios, character spawning, etc. Also for telling me how to do it.
    Gigantus for his Creating a World series and for answering my questions. Without you Hannibal wouldn't have a biography

Enormous thanks to:

Wermez for working on the new carthaginian unit. He did an amazing work and the unit looks awesome!
    Thanks also to Alondite for the final help with the unit textures!

Concept of the new carthaginian unit

African Exalted Spearmen translated to "Dorekim Afriqim Hiromim'
    No words for 'elite' or 'chosen' survive thus the word 'ḥrm'/'exalted' has been supplemented.
    This unit is the best that Carthaginian armies can offer. Veterans from many campaigns, they have followed the “Toma Mahnit” (Commander of the Army) for many years and are capable of great feats during the combat. They are the backbone of the Carthaginian battle lines pay back for every bit of trust invested in them by holding the center steady in the direst moments of battle. With their service time, and depending if they lived long enough, most of these have become Carthage’s most trusted veterans.
    Having been victorious over Roman armies, this man wears a Gallic tunic and shoes, has a bronze Montefortino helmet, iron mail shirt (with a waist belt so that all the weight does not drag on the shoulders), strapped bronze greaves and a large scutum. All Roman loot.
    History:
    Hannibal's Libyans at Cannae were “veteran troops of long training”, says Frontinus, “for hardly anything but a trained army, responsive to every direction, can carry out this sort of tactic” (Strategemata, 2.3.7). He of course is referring to Hannibal's celebrated double envelopment. In other words, whatever they were before, subject levies or hired mercenaries, the Libyans were now professional soldiers serving in a private army, they were Hannibal African Veterans.
    Polybios says (3.87.3, 114.1) that Hannibal issued his Libyans with Roman war gear plundered from the booty of the Trebbia and Lake Trasimene, and Livy notes (22.46.4) that thereafter they could easily have been mistaken for actual Romans, which suggests they wore the panoply of scutums, greaves and helmets and even their tunics to pass themselves off as Romans.
    We could guess that Hannibal troops used the equipment from the Battle of Trasimene until the Battle of Zama (so around 15 years using it) and they would probably keep using it, if they had not been defeated at Zama…
    Lastly, while many think that this African infantry unit only represents the one that served in Italy with Hannibal, we must remember that armies tend to help themselves to whatever they fancy from defeated enemies. Therefore, items of Roman armor would regularly appear in the Carthaginian ranks when circumstances allowed, so this unit is by no means limited to Hannibal veteran soldiers.
    Extremely loyal and simply vicious in attack or defense, these men are a force of extremely well trained and motivated soldiers, at the top of their class, and can be relied upon in any situation.

Bonus image of the new carthaginian unit, Dorekim Afriqim Hiromim (Exalted African Infantry)WIP:

https://imgur.com/TC1DA4y

How to install:

Just read the word file included and replace the original files as it says.
    Good luck and have fun!

Barcid revenge submod.zip

How to install the unit:

Extract the content of the file into your EBII installation, in the data.
    You should make a backup of your files, at least of the battle model file and the export_unit file in text.

Delete the export_units strings file.

The link: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/down...o=file&id=4479

This unit is available in custom battle for Carthage.
    In the campaign, it will only be available after the first reform and only in the Barcid Capital in Iberia. It takes around 64 turns to replenish, so use them well and try to preserve them.

The unit looks is influenced by mods just as De Bello Mundi, Roma Surrectum III, Rome II DEI, and other images found in the internet, taking into consideration historical sources. There are some things that I still would like to improve, but for now it will look like this. The units card from the Roma Surrectum III submod When Worlds Collide and are temporary, while I don't have actual units cards for this unit.

Lastly, have fun!
    Last edited by Lusitanio; September 01, 2019 at 11:00 AM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: Barcid Revenge submod

Fantastic work! What a cool idea. I'm tickled by all the different descriptions for the diplomacy interface scroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Fantastic work! What a cool idea. I'm tickled by all the different descriptions for the diplomacy interface scroll.
    Praise Erken for that! The original idea was his, I just made some suggestions to him and later did some changes myself. Still, it's not perfect and some words show the limitations of non native english people writing, so if you think a different word would be better in some cases, tell me and I will give it a look

I made new changes on the rebels settlements names.

They are now like this:

From rebel towns, villages, to large towns they are now called Free Villages, Free Towns, Free Large Towns

From cities to huge cities they are now named: City-State, and for Large and Huge sizes: Sovereign City-State

Rebel nomad camps are also named differently. Since they had already a different type of life and freedom from the settled society, I just removed the "rebel" word and they are now just Nomad Camps, Small Nomad Camps and Large Nomad Camps.
    This represents their free way of life, they are not rebels, just simple nomad camps and the player can still clearly see that they belong to the "rebel" faction.
    Rebel armies are now independent armies.

By the way, after taking the screenshots I changed City-state to City-State.

Lastly, tell me what you think it's better, to name it Sovereign City-State or just City-State?

The file:
    expanded.txt

Just go to EBII/data/text and replace the named "expanded" file.

See how it looks:

https://imgur.com/a/yKWqB0u

love the attention to detail that you included here. nice tough with naming of the 'rebels' and changes to diplomacy options. new indie colour looks more potent too. well done

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    love the attention to detail that you included here. nice tough with naming of the 'rebels' and changes to diplomacy options. new indie colour looks more potent too. well done
    Thanks Sarkiss! I tried a lot of different colours for the rebel faction but that seems to be the better one, it looks worse when you use the toggle_fow cheat as compared to the grey colour, but besides that, it's a lot better and gives another life to the rebels.
    About the diplomacy options, it's more like 90% of the work done by Erken and 10% by me due to the other changes

For the ones that only want the diplomacy interface changes you only need to replace this files in EBII/data/text. I also made some corrections and changes to the original files. Will preview it as soon as I can but if someone could do it, I would greatly appreciate.

strat.txt

diplomacy.txt

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Nice idea. I do find the description to "withdraw from a province" a bit ambiguous. If you offer that you'd basically give that province away to the other party, while withdrawing could also mean abandoning it without giving it away to the other party and have a more neutral meaning to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Nice idea. I do find the description to "withdraw from a province" a bit ambiguous. If you offer that you'd basically give that province away to the other party, while withdrawing could also mean abandoning it without giving it away to the other party and have a more neutral meaning to it.
    It is a bit ambiguous indeed. However, historically withdrawing the garrison from a province meant that either the other faction would be the new ruler of the province or that region would be free as we have many examples in ancient Greece. Sadly, I can't represent that on game, so this will stay for now, until a find a better word for it.

By the way, I had a look on your map, it's very nice

Hello Lusitanio. Which files are used to change the rebel names ?

Just the expanded.txt file that you can find in data/text
    Don't forget to delete the corresponding bin file if you make alterations and want it to be applied in the game.

Many thanks for your answer

As the work continues, the unit is almost finished. The current issues to solve are the shields (need to be rotated), the red shoulder armour support that needs to have the thing connecting them and the black crest above the helmets that will be changed from all black to black and white or black and red.

Thanks to Wermez for all his work, besides the shield textures which are from De Bello Mundi and Midnite, the textures and the unit model were worked on by Wermez. Thanks a lot to Adalingum for his help and work on the files!

Current images of the unit: https://imgur.com/a/fe3jOSQ

Interested in this, Lusitanio. Can I install it on my current campaign, or does it need a fresh one?

Quote Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
    Interested in this, Lusitanio. Can I install it on my current campaign, or does it need a fresh one?
    You will need a fresh start. Only the portraits work in an ongoing campaign because that's just the user interface.