Thread: CPU&GPU Usage

Default CPU&GPU Usage

Hi Guys,
    i was searching in google about it but could not find something.

i found out that total war medieval 2 third age does not use fully my cpu and gpu. i find it out when playing total war third age reforged historical battle hornburg. i dont know exactly the the amount of soilders but its extreme huge. cpu and gpu is about 20%.

is it so because its an old game? what can you tell me about this. i also thought to upgrade to windows 10.

looking forward to see your answers

windows 7
    GPU Msi nvidia1060 6gb
    CPU i5 6600k
    ram 16gb
    mainboard msi z170a

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Default Re: CPU&GPU Usage

Quote Originally Posted by congawa View Post
    Hi Guys,
    i was searching in google about it but could not find something.

i found out that total war medieval 2 third age does not use fully my cpu and gpu. i find it out when playing total war third age reforged historical battle hornburg. i dont know exactly the the amount of soilders but its extreme huge. cpu and gpu is about 20%.

is it so because its an old game? what can you tell me about this. i also thought to upgrade to windows 10.

looking forward to see your answers

windows 7
    GPU Msi nvidia1060 6gb
    CPU i5 6600k
    ram 16gb
    mainboard msi z170a
    Not sure what you mean here, to be honest. However, the mods you play should not limit your CPU or GPU use, the MTW2 engine does however. Not so for the GPU, but the game can only use one core of your CPU. Since your I5 6600K has four of them, 20% is not that far off the limit.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

thank you for reply. okay.. i get it. but what about GPU, why is he not using the full power of gpu? i thought nvidia 1060 gb is enaugh to play hornburg historical battle with so much soilders

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by congawa View Post
    thank you for reply. okay.. i get it. but what about GPU, why is he not using the full power of gpu? i thought nvidia 1060 gb is enaugh to play hornburg historical battle with so much soilders
    Well, the GTX 1060 6GB is more than enough to handle anything the MTWII engine can throw at it graphics wise. I don't think it's even possible to get it to the point that it will need its full capacity. Not even near it.

The CPU is another matter and it seems yours is close to its limit when playing those massive battles. It all has to be calculated on only one core after all, three are probably not doing very much, but certainly nothing MTWII related.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

i see. so my cpu outbrake my gpu. makes sense

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Yeah, the GPU handles the graphics and details, which, is fair if it only needs around 20% of it's power for a game like this.
    The CPU handles the AI, and calculates everything going on in the battle. Med2 is from 2006, before dual-core CPU's were even a thing games adjusted to really. Med2 can use only a single core of your CPU, which is a quadcore. 20% CPU usage is about right.